Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 02:11:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Story Of A Dog  (Read 6633 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:14:39 pm »

This was posted by LiquidVamp at Simbology. I wanted to share this story with you about a dog, and the story made me think back on the times I've spent playing with the dogs I had as a kid.

When I was a puppy….

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and, despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend.

Whenever I was ‘bad’, you’d shake your finger at me and ask, ‘How could you?’ – but then you’d relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream, (I only got the cone because ‘ice cream is bad for dogs’, you said,) and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day. Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a ‘dog person’ – still, I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then human babies came along and I shared your excitement.

I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only, she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate.

Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a ‘prisoner of love’. As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch – because your touch was now so infrequent – and I would’ve defended them with my life, if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered, ‘yes’ and changed the subject. I had gone from being ‘your dog’ to ‘just a dog’ and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You’ve made the right decision for your ‘family’, but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said, ‘I know you will find a good home for her’.

They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with ‘papers’. You had to pry your son’s fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, ‘No, Daddy! Please don’t let them take my dog!’ And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked, ‘How could you?’

They are as attentive to us in here at the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that had changed your mind – that this was all a bad dream, or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her into a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured, ‘How could you?’ Perhaps, because she understood my dogspeak, she said, ‘I’m so sorry’. She hugged me and hurriedly explained that it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn’t be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself – a place of love and light, so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her, with a thump of my tail, that my ‘How could you?’ was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
soulofthesea
Composer/Sound Engineer in Training

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:30:22 pm »

That is so sad. Cry Sometimes I wonder why people would just abandon their pets like that.

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
SenkoTwiik
Carnival Freakshow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:26 pm »

That is so depressing. Poor pets don't do anything wrong, and yet they're the ones that always end up being punished more than their careless owners.

Let He who is without sin...kick the first arse.

My Girls: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,108744.0.html
My site: http://voodoonightmares.freeforums.org/
zammy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:19 pm »

I hate people so much because they would do this to their pets. My cat is mean. She's very mean and bites me for no reason, but if I had to move, I'd find a place that allowed pets. I couldn't bear to leave her...

My Sims (2) Blog: The Sims in Wonderland
SenkoTwiik
Carnival Freakshow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »

I had this dog once. Brandon decided to bring him home and he was STUPID with a capital S. I hated him. All he ever did was crap on my floor, chew things up, and get into the garbage. But he was a sweet dog, real friendly. As much as I couldn't stand a thing about him, I wouldn't take him to a shelter because I didn't want them to kill him. Instead I looked around and found him a home. That's what you do when you have pets. It's your responsibility to make sure they're safe. My brother's friend from school and his wife wanted a new dog, and the guy just loved my dog. The two of them clicked so well. He got a pet, and the dog got a great home and a real nice guy for a master.

Dec12741

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:33:34 pm »

Chaavik I tried to read it,but it was no use i almost started to cry i am a Dog Love i am on my 4th Dog a Jack Russell Mix his name is Louger,i got him the same place i got my last dog his name was Tuxedo he was more of Blanket for me because I had alot of hurt in me,why you might ask I will tell you I had lost my Father and i had to keep my guard up i miss Tux deeply I know my dad is taken him for walks and playing with him where they are at  as i type this my guard is down and start to loose it,here is something funny when i went to look for a new Dog I saw Louger as i was driving away something stopped me went back and asked if i could see Louger again(was still hurting from looseing Tux) i look at Louger again and clam came over me and I new that right then and now that I had found a new Pet(Louger) that hurt is gone and now i laugh and play with him and take care of him and Love him to bits,in closing i want to say this I will always Love him until the good Lord takes me

P.S:I LOVE MY DOGGIE
SenkoTwiik
Carnival Freakshow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:00:02 pm »

Holy Run-On sentence, Batman!

I actually did cry reading it. Maybe it's just my hormones, but it was a jerker of the heart-strings.

zammy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:21 pm »

I'm with ya. I cried too, hormones or not. Could be either for me as well, but I know I would have cried regardless. I am a major animal lover.

My Sims (2) Blog: The Sims in Wonderland
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »

That one made me cry and made me angry, as well. Not bothering to find a home for an animal that has been a part of your life for such a long time when you find out that the place you're moving into doesn't allow fur-family is garbage. It's cruel. Then again, not even trying to find a place that will accept pets is just as bad. We pass up so many places because they won't let us have pets and I will not give my Suzie up. End of discussion on that.

I can see having a pet put to sleep if they are sick, as in terminally sick. If they are in pain and only going to get worse, then it's the most absolutely cruel thing on this earth to deny them the release from the pain and confusion they have got to be feeling due to their illness. Some people won't allow it to be done because, "He's been such a huge part of my life, I don't know what I would do without him. It would devastate me to lose him."

Well, guess what? You've pretty much lost any right you have to a pet's devotion by making them suffer day in and day out when they're in constant pain and you do nothing to relieve it. It's selfish and inhumane to inflict that on an animal, not to mention cowardly.

The same goes for having a perfectly healthy pet put down just to make it easier for you to find housing. When we adopt our furry companions, we make them part of our families. Unlike humans, though, our animals are unable to tell us what exactly could be wrong and they depend on us for everything. It's a big responsibility and not one to be undertaken lightly. When it has come time for the lives of my own pets to come to a close, I've been right there. One had to be put to sleep due to cancer, one died in my arms of old age. I was there for both of them.

I never have, and never will, just abandon a pet. I've never kept a pet alive when they were in agony and not likely to improve. I've found homes for those that I couldn't keep any longer due to living circumstances. There comes a time to let go and a time to hang on. Having them put down before it's their time to go is like punishing them for loving us. Refusing to have them put out of their misery when they are in extreme pain is like punishing them for loving us, too. Some people just don't have the balls to know when it's time to do either one, though.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »

I remember once, several years ago, I was looking for a place to live. I found a great house, low rent, utilities included. The landlords seemed like great people and we really hit it off. It was a beautiful house and well looked after. I was ready to sign the lease when they asked about pets. I told them I had a well-behaved indoor cat and they said told me I would have to find another home for my cat because they wouldn't allow pets. I understand their worry about pets and don't resent them for their decision, but it was a definite deal-breaker for me.

As some know I've done a lot of work with the Humane Society in the past and will come to bat for animals faster than you can say "Go". It's tragic when people are hurt and abused, but they have a voice they can choose to use and be understood. Animals don't, so I happily speak on their behalf. I've been in the unenviable position of having to put an animal down, but it was only because they were too badly injured or ill. As painful as it is to let them go, in a situation like that you have to ask yourself if you're refusing to put them to rest because it's the best thing for you and not for the pet. There comes a time when the worst cruelty you can commit against a loved pet is forcing them to live in pain and sickness because you're afraid to say goodbye. It's just as selfish to treat them as a disposable commodity and "throw them away" when they're no longer convenient for you.

I often think about the day Lobo (my cat) will be gone, but it's because he's not a young man any more. He's in good health and has more energy than cats half his age (he'll be 15 this year) and I can attribute that in part to keeping him indoors, but there will come a time when he will go and I will be there for him, no matter how much it breaks my heart.

Now, I'm going go hug my cat and tell him how much I love him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:55:02 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
SenkoTwiik
Carnival Freakshow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »

Speaking of pets...my mom's cat just passed away. She's pretty bummed about him. He was a real cool cat. He liked to play outside and we think he may have eaten a mouse that had been poisoned. He didn't have any outward wounds or signs of trauma. Poor little guy.

It's wrong to throw your pets away like trash just for your convenience, or just because your partner says they don't want pets. If they didn't want pets, they shouldn't have gotten with a pet-person. I used to "babysit" my mom's Chihuahua (sp) for a long period of time. He stayed at my house for months to keep me company while my husband was working nights. He was a good little dog, but I gave birth to Daemian shortly afterward. Even though he was a little dog, he kept jumping around by my son no matter how many times I told him "no". Since I didn't want D to get hurt, the dog had to go back to his owner, my mom.

I agree, putting pets to sleep is understandable when they're in pain. My grandpa had a rottie for over a decade. It was his best friend, but the poor dog got old. His hips wouldn't work anymore and his skull was deteriorating. He was in a lot of pain and my grandpa just couldn't take seeing him like that anymore. Even with the heart of stone my grandpa had, it was hard to say goodbye to Bo. When the time came to bury him, my grandpa wanted to be left alone and stayed outside for a long time.

It bothers me to think about Willie. He's my pitbull (lives with my mom with the other two dogs) and he's 11 years old, going on 12. He's getting old and not getting around at all like he used to. Its hard to think that soon we may all have to say goodbye to him. He has been with us for so long.

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »

My dog Houdini was eighteen when I had him released due to cancer, and it was so damn hard. He'd been there with me through divorce, bad break-ups with boyfriends, my first child, you name it and he was there. He helped me raise two cats from kitten-hood and taught them manners. But when the time came, I let him go. I still miss him but I had to do the best thing for him because he was suffering horribly.

My oldest cat, Magoo, died just two days before my father passed away, and I think some of you were here for that. He was nineteen and took his last breath in my arms after giving me one last rumble purr that said it all. He was quite the character, that cat was and not a day goes by that I don't think that I catch a glimpse of him out the corner of my eye, just watching me and hoping for some cat treat.

That leaves Suzie as the grand lady of the house, at age fifteen she rules the roost and she knows it. She'll be sixteen come March and she's still going strong. Just as sassy as she ever was and demanding as ever and doesn't put up with any nonsense from my daughter's cats when they all come to visit. She'll get those kittens into shape, sure as the grass grows after a rainstorm. Heh, when they were here the last time, she taught them how to kill mice and now that they are back home, they're bored because there are no rodents there to chase.

We're seriously considering going to a shelter to let a new kitten or an older kitty pick us out and hopefully, they will be a good match personality-wise for Sue. A kitten around four to eight months would be ideal, really. Then again, I'm willing to give an older animal a chance, too. Suzie needs someone to boss around again, aside from me, that is. Cheesy

soulofthesea
Composer/Sound Engineer in Training

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:08:01 pm »

Hehehe, cats. They always think that they're in charge, don't they, Paden? I think my dad's dog, Ebbie, might have been a cat in her previous life, since she seems to have the personality of one. Tongue She's nearly thirteen years old, but shows no signs of age. Well, other than hogging up most of whose bed she's sleeping on. I can credit that to her being in great shape and having a great relationship with her "humans". The only times we have to take her to the vet is for yearly check-ups, and even the vets says that she's just as feisty as when she was a puppy.

Sometimes, though, Ebbie tends to think that she's in charge. We do have her trained to know that Dad is the pack leader, she just likes to think that she's the alpha female of the house. No kidding, she'll bark at anyone, particularly my mom, whenever they're talking on the phone ("Did I give you permission to talk to that magic thing that rings?!"), and tries to tell us when it's time to do something. One time, she caught and killed a bird, showed it to us, and tried to make us have it for dinner. Cheesy She'd never done that before, and she hasn't since then. She definitely thinks she's the alpha female, especially when it comes to this old green chair in the living room that she's claimed as her own. Whenever she sees anyone trying to sit on it (the chair itself, not the huge foot rest), all Ebbie has to do is growl softly, and they'll go sit somewhere else. Yep, she's definitely acting like a nice, yet cynical at times, old lady. Cheesy

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »

When I was little, we had a Pekingese dog try the alpha female thing on my mother and her chair. Next thing you knew, that dog went running, no make that FLYING, through the house with Mom hot on her heels wielding a rolled-up newspaper. She never tried to pull that again, but just let you try and fold wash cloths in front of her and she'd steal every darn one of them and guard them until my dad was able to sweet talk her out of her little nest and we kids would risk our tender flesh on the recovery effort.

P.S.
I never knew that my mother could run that fast, to be honest. That dog really made her mad!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: