Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:37:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A problem that baffles me.  (Read 10758 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
oldduane

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:50:12 pm »

Not really a AL problem, but since I have that installed.......
Got the Sims2 for Christmas, now (like an idiot) have all the ep's and sp's....
Some of the problem I think is that I am addicted to downloads, doesn't matter the game, just love adding custom stuff.
From the very first, (which was Double Deluxe) now replaced with the base game as a starting point, it will be acting fine and then all of a sudden I can't place objects on walls.  Oh I can paint or wallpaper the walls...but nothing else will attach, not lights, windows plumbing, pictures, you name...won't take them.....and no furniture or anything else over 1 tile wide can be placed next to the walls either inside or outside.  
I have uninstalled many times ( so much so that I knew the original games serial number by heart).  I tried everything that EA customer support would suggest...have now become an expert at deleating everything in the compter that relates to the game.
I thought it might be the Inteen mod....because when I have installed that...the Sims will just stand there and not interact with each other in anyway..... I thought it might be ACR (which I really like)....I've thougth it might be the SimBlender which is my favorite of those types of mods....but with them out ..... nada....still have the same problem.  Have deleted and lost many add ons,  
The reason I'm here is the fact that I deleated it all again today and am just not up to the task of reloading everything again and starting one cc at a time...... because if I do find out it is just one simple package causeing the problem....well when I find that problem...will have to remove everything again and reinstall..
Oh, have also used the clean pack installer and have now gone so far that if something comes up any color highlight at all, it's gone.....
I'm really stumped on this and EA is no help at all....if anybody has any majic words or a new train of thought would love to hear from you........it hurts to go through an hour or so of deleating then more time installing and not being able to use the game as it was intended....

By the way I'm using Vista on a fairly decent machine with a middle of the road graphics card that runs everything else well.....

Help....
And thanks in advance...
Duane

OH...and something else i should mention...every time I go into a lot..... I get the popup that says object error..... won't go away with  retry or cancel ... just deleat... and the  error reports mmmmm I don't know how to read them...
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:54 pm »

Well, the Sim Blender conflicts with Inteen. I was having this exact problem, so I chucked Inteen and got the Sims2living teenage pregnancy mod. I'd think it was the Sim Blender, try removing it and see what happens. It baffled me for the longest time, too. Try deleting your .cache files after removing it. Do you have loads of hacked paintings and objects? They really slow down your game. Did you read the Flavour Pack information on which parts of Inteenimater to remove so they won't conflict with themselves? Let me know if this helps. Maybe could you provide a list of all hacks and mods? Maybe one of those is conflicting?

I'm currently inactive here, find me over on Garden of Shadows instead.
zombie
oldduane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Hmmm thanks for the quick response...will try the mod you suggest..... I don't think I have that many mods and hacks right now....or would if the game was loaded Cheesy .. I thought I'd read the manuals through, but probably just skimmed them and will go back and see what they say..... trouble is discovering this great game so many years after it was released, there is just so much fantastic stuff out there to play with....so yes, have quite a few hacked object, paintings and the like...
I do know I've got the AL version of DMA, but havn't played with it yet, cause I can't mount the yellow and red controlers on the walls.... other mods are kind of a hodge podge ... like the "always flush and wash hands" , Numenors slot package", a "control this sim pkg" and a few others... I think at this stage, I'm going to reinstall everything tomorrow, with no cc....then install my cc folders 1 at a time... I've got them sorted by function so with go with the Makeup, hair, eyes, first....then the skins and by adding one at a time see what works...then when everything is back (assuming it all works) maybe put some mods in one at a time) thats what I did the last time and it worked for about a day or so.....
Wish me luck and thanks again.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:17 pm »

Well, the Sim Blender conflicts with Inteen.
Not true at all.

From the very first, (which was Double Deluxe) now replaced with the base game as a starting point, it will be acting fine and then all of a sudden I can't place objects on walls.

SeeThem2, which many people use to eliminate the blur, adds a couple cheats to the userStartup.cheat that prohibit placement of doors, and windows.  You can either remove those cheats from the user start up or enter the cheats to turn them off in game.  The cheats are:
userStartup.cheat                                     In Game
boolprop snapobjectstogrid true                   boolprop snapobjestogrid false
moveobjects on                                        moveobjects off

I suggest removing them from the userStartup.cheat and then enter them when you need them.

the Sims will just stand there and not interact with each other in anyway

Many mods have to be updated as new EPs are released.  Sims just standing around is a symptom of having mods in game that are out of date for you current game configuration.  Go back to the mods you've added and verify they are compatible with AL.

If you have all the EPs and SPs now, then you shouldn't have any problems with meshes or anything other than game mods.  Use Clean Installer (ModTheSims) to scan your Downloads folder.  Put all the Inteen files into one folder.  Put all the ACR files into one folder.  Then organize your CC into folders for each Type CI identifies.  Meshes won't have a type, but are usually identified by the word MESH in the name.  Stick them into a folder too.  That should leave you with mods and some odds and ends that haven't been placed in a folder.  Put them into a folder called Mods or Hacks, then put the Inteen and ACR folder in there too.  These are the ones you should pay attention to in trying to get your game running again.

Here's a couple programs that could help you sort things out to get your game running:

Sims2Pack Clean Installer (www.modthesims.info)
Delphy's Download Organizer (www.modthesims.info)
Hack Conflict Detection Utility (www.simwardrobe.com)
oldduane

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:17 pm »

Ancient Highway, I think you've smashed the nail on the noggin..... I do use that mod seethem2...had forgotten all about it.....tadaaaa.

Do have a question, since my game is now uninstalled.. where will I find "user startup cheats"?

I'm a SimCity4 user, and have organized my downloads folder much as I did for that game....for example sub folders for build, buy, clothes, eyes, hair, sims, makeup, skins etc etc.....also one for mods....the only "unfoldered" items are the cep pkg and the censor pkg from seethem2.  Had started tosubdivide the folders also, such as in build I have folders labeled floors, walls, windows-doors-outside.... Do you think that changing my method to folders marked  game object, mesh, clothing, object recolor, etc would be more advantageous for this game?

Wow, am now excited to get going again......addictions are a terrible thing rolleyes
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »

The important thing on organizing your CC is to have a system that makes sense to you.

The userStartup.cheat is in the Config folder.  Especially as you add and remove a lot of CC, it's a good idea to delete the groups.cache, accessories,cache, and if you use Bodyshop, cigen.package.  All three are indices found in the TS2 folder that are rebuilt by the game when you run it.  Some people do so every time they start the game.  If for some reason the game doesn't start up, that's the first place to start.

Just something to be aware of, the censor package was made by Quaxi.  He has a more up to date version on his site.  I'm not sure what the differences are between the one you are using which is for OFB and the Pets versions are, but hey, it's more recent.  Spme time back I did a write up on SeeThem2 you might find interesting.
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »

@ Ancientthehighway

Sim Blender does conflict, even though the utility says so, I am not being rude. Please don't think so.

zombie
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »

@ Ancientthehighway

Sim Blender does conflict, even though the utility says so, I am not being rude. Please don't think so.

I don't think you're rude.  If you would, take out all of your downloads except for Inteen and Sim Blender, then start a NEW neighborhood, one you don't play normally.  Even a custom hood would do.  This will leave all the CC in your current hood in place.  Just remember to put your CC back in before playing your normal game.

Then, in the new hood, go into game, enable testing cheats (boolprop testingcheatenabled true) and play.  Use the various features of both mods.  If you get an error, post the error on Simbology and I'll look into it.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:04 pm »

How bout we not advertise InTeen here at all? We really don't offer support for it here, either, so... Yeah.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »

Oh, that's one of the..rules...isn't it? Wow, I just felt like I shrunk ten imches. Sorry, Paden. You can go ahead and resume kicking me in the head now.  Embarrassed

zombie
oldduane

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:26 pm »

Well, I just got finished re-installing everything....of the game that is.....am going now to download the new censor patch that ancienthighway told me about and get my CEP , Clean installer, and my CC pack in....

I'm going to look into all of the Mods (even those who will go unnamed) Evil And see what happens....

I am actually quite excited about the whole thing...and I want to thank the both of you from the bottom of my heart for all your help..

In fact if you're ever in my hometown (and no, I not going to tell you where it is) Lunch at our towns finest diner is on me!

Another, caveat....it's a small town and only has a McDs and a Subway..... but hey....

Seriously  thank you very much....will let you know how it comes out.
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »

Oh, it's no problem.  Grin Us Simmers have to stick together now that EA has abandonded us for the puddingfaces  Star Wars I actually had the same problem months ago, before my hard drive took a big crash, so I've definately been in that boat.

Best of Luck,

~Hammie
(Not my actual name, just a nickname, lol)

zombie
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »

No kick in the head intended at all, Hammie, just a gentle reminder. I am nice at times, don't always have the claws and fangs out. Unlike Jenna, who is always prepared with a chainsaw.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
oldduane

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:24:36 am »

OK, now I'm really confused.....sheesh

Re-installed everything.... got in the game...custom hood loaded, custom lots loaded... move to cas  custom sims, hair, makeup, clothes...everything is there.

Moved my sim into a custom house....

Things can be mounted on the walls  YEA!!

Some of the custom yard stuff loaded...ok I think all of it..

NONE of the custom buy stuff loaded...
got out of the game, yep all the stuff is in the folder, in downloads..and this is all stuff that had been working in the game before the problems started.... but now...not a darn thing....like I say, all the floors, walls, fences, that stuff is there, but absolutly nothing in the buy folder or the mods folder (items) shows up....

I swear, this game is going to drive me back to drinking!

Ok, maybe just swearing....
any ideas
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 05:42:39 am »

You did remember to restart the game after enabling CC didn't you?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: