Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 05:43:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: So I spoke with an employee of EA Sims 3 team today..  (Read 75003 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Nonni
Site Santa!

Who would Nonni rather kiss? Naughty Nonni!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 02:32:59 am »

How much time do you think Sims 3 needs to become an interesting and fun thing to do?
*looks at calendar* Got until the 12th of Forever??
Paden's always entertaining post pretty much answers your question, Nonni. Trying to make the game any bit as appealing (and in some cases playable) compared to it's predecessors would pretty much mean they'd have to strip it down so much to rebuild it, they may as well make a new game altogether.

So, we are basically waiting for Sims IV?

Isaac Newton defined tact as "the art of making a point without making an enemy."
amberfaye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »

See, I am one of the rare few who think sims3 has potential and I really REALLY want to see it tapped into. I want to turn my game on, and it to work, and it to be fun, and then for it to SAVE (which has been a huge problem as of late and really realllllly pissing me off) The story progression is BS and the bugs suck. The rabbit holes are horrible, the babies and children are striaght up FUGLY, too.
I have stopped playing TS3 for the time being and gone back to TS2. IF they ever fix this game, I will play again. Until then, its a waste of my time. I play for 10 mins or two hours and it wont save, Im getting the damn error code 12 and 13 over and over and over and over and, well... you get the idea.   angry

MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »

So, we are basically waiting for Sims IV?

You really want the truth? By the time EA fixes Sims 3, they will probably be so sick of the series that they will drop it in favor of the other porting games-they're tired of being begged to fix a game that can properly be played only on a PC, even when they boasted that "your grandma's computer" could run it.
Not that easy, when you realize the game takes a huge amount of memory to just start, and we won't even get into the frame rate fiasco that's happened.

No. We can wait all we want. EA will probably drop it after this. They'll milk this one to death and have done with it. Sorry.

BTW, on a side note-Dante's Inferno has had a less-than-stellar rollout, posting sales that are pathetic to any stockholder. EA is probably going to have a very bad year, financially.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:43 am »

It would be interesting to see some figures on how many sims3 players have reverted back to playing sims2. I for one will never purchase the thing. There are several reasons for that. Ist., it's not really the sims, I don't know what it is but it's not the sims. The heavy wording of the sims3 EULA. That bloody store thing. The but ugly figures.Finally the rumored association with those weasels at TSR.
As said long ago. They could have made a killing if they had of upgraded the sims2 into 3 instead of this abomination and to hell with the system requirements. Instead they allowed that egotistical idiot Humble have his way.
Going back to those figures on how many are reverting back to sims2, I use the number of new creations I see posted on the various sites. The sims2 exchange is just one such example. When the game was first released it died right down to a mere trickle, now there's a flood of new creations. Surely that hasn't gone unnoticed by EA.
minkey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 11:16:48 am »

I guess I'm amongst the unpopular minority that actually loves the Sims 3,oh well. rolleyes Recently I had to completely reinstall the Sims 2 and 3 due to an unfortunate unmountable boot volume disaster,I'd have to say that I've spent much more time playing the Sims 3 than the Sims 2(even though I own everything that was released for the Sims 2)The open neighbourhood is fantastic,it's great to actually see one of your sims walking by or going to work instead of some fugly townie,and in my opinion there is much more room for fug in the Sims 2 than the Sims 3,the only way you can make characters look good in the Sims 2 is to load them down with CC.I've made some truly beautiful,non "pudding face"characters once I actually started tinkering around CAS.So flame me if you will,but the Sims 3 is waaaaay better than the Sims 2,people just won't give it a chance,they read all of these threads about ugly characters,bugs and glitches and get scared off.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 12:51:11 pm »

EA has lost it when it comes to games... They only think about one thing (and it's not giving the customers what they want...)

We had some from Visceral Games (creators of Dante's inferno) speaking at Animex, and compared to many other games, the graphics (in my eyes, anyway) and what I saw of the gameplay and effects s**ks. I've not played it, so I guess my opinion doesn't really count... But seriously - we're in 2010 now! Graphics could be tons better without too much computer trouble (most looked like it was horribly opacity-mapped), and we've seen games with nearly exact same gameplay hundreds of times... many of them were better versions.

And these guys made Sims 3?  Good work, EA... Hammer

I myself started with Sims 1, but never got really into it. Too little to do (I only had some deluxe pack, with one or two expansions), and it grew boring after a while. I hadn't yet discovered downloads, which might have made the game funnier.
Then Sims 2 came along (together with a sparkling new laptop), and I loved it. So many new and fun features, much better graphics and even Bodyshop shocked. I could sit until five in the morning on school nights, playing or creating, just because it was so fun I forgot the time (And yes, I still do that...)

I've not yet had the pleasure(?) of playing Sims 3, but after what I've seen on screenshots and videos I still don't like most of it. Most is copied directly from sims 2 (animation/furniture... you name it), and the interface looks horrible (sims 1 1/2, if that). It's not a new game. It's the same game, tweaked a bit, added in a slightly different gameplay with a couple of new features, and put in a box for sale. Maybe that new career EP will upgrade it a bit (If there is a big selection of careers), but I kind of doubt that. Like people say, Sims 3 is more a RPG than a simulator. I  admot I do like games where you are supposed to go around finding stuff and solve mysteries, but I want the Sims game to be more of a storytelling game.

I have to admit that gameplay in itself has become a bit boring in sims 2, but I've been playing the same game for several years now (I started just after nightlife came out, I think), and I can still enjoy it, so there has to be something about the game that makes me still want to play it.
Maybe the fact that it made me interested in learning 3D, and that I'm now on my second year at 3D film.
Maybe because I've got a story running (LFB has its 2 year anniversary around may/june, I think), and that I love the characters so much - Mostly because they look so good (I'll NEVER convert LFB to a Sims 3 story!!!)
And maybe because I can sit for hours at a day taking pictures, having photoshoots, coming up with new stories, or even creating new stuff. I know people are very into poseboxes, but I tend to use JD's boxes and Aikea's paintings - which are in fact ingame poses. Most are usable, and looks mostly natural if used right.

If Sims 3 ever lets me do that, this would've been great. But I don't think I every would come to like the pudding faces, unless someone came up with a drastic solution to it. I mean, Sims 3 pudding toddlers (with or without CC) looks nothing compared to Sims 2 Toddlers, who looks cute as-is, and amazingly cute with a bit of CC. And I like playing with toddlers...

Players would have loved Sims 3 if it really was an upgrade from sims2. But what is the point when moderators and creators can make stuff for sims 2 that often looks better than most of the stuff inside sims 3?
I'm not for a real-looking game. That's just a bit too creepy. But I want a game where the animations looks more natural, and where you aren't so limited. When you need mods to actually play the game without tearing off your hair in frustration, then it's not a good game. I can play sims 2 without mods. I did, for a long while.
So as I see it, Sims 3 isn't my game. Yet, anyway.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »

I can honestly say that I finally got my chance at playing vanilla Sims 3 once at one of my friends' house a few days ago.  Let's just say I'm still not impressed overall, except for the scenery, (Water effects on the lakes/beaches could've been a lot better, too, but other than that, nice background stuff) but it's not overly abysmal as a game... though it is as just a Sims successor.     

I had a somewhat frustrating time with the CAS... anyone who knows my style of simming knows that my sims have a "cartoonish" look to them, and I just couldn't achieve the effect I was looking for, even after an hour and twelve minutes of playing around with it.  I'm pretty sure if my friend had the modified facial sliders, then I may have gotten what I was looking for.  (That and if there was more room for having custom skins instead of just one type of skin overall.)  Plus, it wasn't long after I finished the family that my friend's PC just conked out for some reason.  I suggested he look for that frame rate mod just in case that was the issue, since that has been discovered that EA's bad habits of "fixing" bugs tends to work the heck out of a computer.   rolleyes

And surprisingly, create-a-style was sort of nice, seeing as it cuts back on having loads of junk files in the game.  The gameplay, however, just seemed like the same thing all over again, with added tweaks.  I'm better off just sticking it out with Sims 2, even though I know for a fact I can barely start that up without issues either.

With that, going back on topic:

If what the OP says is true, EA is going to have to do much more than just add on to the current Sims 3 to make it appealing to more simmers... if certain things about the game weren't so awkward and buggy without modding (in the vanilla state, the unwanted spawning/dying off of sims, lack of car animations, the frighteningly bad look of the offspring... not to mention their screwed-up patches), plus if they hadn't screwed themselves over in the past with the Securom fiasco and now with even more game patch issues, it would have been cool to have this particular game style as a stand-alone addition to the franchise.  The whole concept of the game seems more like what they would've put in console versions anyways, just not a proper successor to the Sims. 

I still say if they had a Sims 3 Bodyshop and the Create A World tool already available with the game they probably would've done better.  Wonder what the next EP will bring... although I'm sure the ad that's out now is definitely not showing what may not be included.  We all know how that works, as always.   Wink

lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 01:34:02 am »

(That and if there was more room for having custom skins instead of just one type of skin overall.)

There's a mod at MTS to change the UI and accept non-default skins. Two different flavors for the amount of skins you will be downloading. At Garden of Shadows, most default-replacements have been converted to non-default skins, and creators are making more skins.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 02:21:57 am »

I guess I'm amongst the unpopular minority that actually loves the Sims 3,oh well. rolleyes Recently I had to completely reinstall the Sims 2 and 3 due to an unfortunate unmountable boot volume disaster,I'd have to say that I've spent much more time playing the Sims 3 than the Sims 2(even though I own everything that was released for the Sims 2)The open neighbourhood is fantastic,it's great to actually see one of your sims walking by or going to work instead of some fugly townie,and in my opinion there is much more room for fug in the Sims 2 than the Sims 3,the only way you can make characters look good in the Sims 2 is to load them down with CC.I've made some truly beautiful,non "pudding face"characters once I actually started tinkering around CAS.So flame me if you will,but the Sims 3 is waaaaay better than the Sims 2,people just won't give it a chance,they read all of these threads about ugly characters,bugs and glitches and get scared off.

Kudos to you for having the courage to speak your opinion. However, I feel the need to say that people such as myself, roerzman and other are not outright panning the game as being awful. We're panning it for being a paltry excuse for a Sims sequel. Had they had labeled it something else, or as Tenshii said made it a stand alone game, it would have done marginally better then it has. The mistake EA made was trying to pass it off as a Sims game, whereas it's a Sims game pretty much by name alone. TS2 was all about us, the community, being able to tailor the game to our individual tastes. Do we need a crap load of mods to do it? Yes. But at least with TS2 we have that option. With TS3, you have to play the game how EA wants you to play it, "nice". The lore and appeal of TS2 is being able to add CC and mods to make the game your own. The lore and appeal of TS3 is beautiful scenery and a traits system that they could have verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry easily translated into a new EP for TS2. In fact, all of the new features of TS3 could have been implemented into TS2 via an EP. And there in lies the main reason why the majority isn't buying in as you have. The game offers very, if any real innovation for it's price tag, and that price tag includes the game itself AND updating ones GFX and Sound cards to be able to run it if they have a PC older then 3 years. You're not wrong at all for enjoying the game. But for users like myself who don't at ALL enjoy the vanilla Sims experience, there's simply no appeal the game has for us.

MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 04:38:56 am »

Then there's the real problem of people wanting more than EA wants them to have in the game. For those who like the "naughty bits and pieces" there are mods to put in the game to give them that-but EA has decided that vanilla is the only way to play it, and they've locked it down to not accept outside mods very easily, if at all.
If you take into account that more than half of the active simmers who play it are adults of consenting age, that is a very unwise decision-and one that has hurt EA badly.
Sure, EA wants to appeal to everyone-but not everyone wants to play a "nice, clean, child-friendly" game. That's a sure sticking point for adults. They're just not built to accept the concept of EA's world, where nudity and envelope pushing interactions for adults are not permitted.
TS2 is famous for that, and believe me, the sites that offer the adult stuff are pretty popular. EA should get off it's damned high horse and acknowledge the simple fact that adults do not like to play children's games and that they do have a very active imagination when it comes to social actions.
Sure, I think that kids don't need to see that kind of stuff. It should be restricted to adults only-but for those of us who like that kind of playstyle, EA has simply ignored the entire concept of freedom of choice and locked out an entire segment of their fanbase.
And the adults have the money-always remember that. We've got far more income and for the company to just shut us out is a massive mistake. They shot themselves in the foot when they decided to make the game unmoddable for the most part by anyone except their "approved" creators.

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 07:01:36 am »

(That and if there was more room for having custom skins instead of just one type of skin overall.)

There's a mod at MTS to change the UI and accept non-default skins. Two different flavors for the amount of skins you will be downloading. At Garden of Shadows, most default-replacements have been converted to non-default skins, and creators are making more skins.

Oh, really?   shocked   I haven't been keeping up with the mods as much, just know of some that are mentioned in passing.  Probably going to tell my friend he might want to consider moddifying his game a bit if he's up to it.  (He's still not an active part of the online community, but I'm sure once he sees what's available and test the waters, he'll want to get into it more.)   Thanks, Niecy!  Wink

Summerbreezeusa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

I do have the Sims 3, I do like it, I do feel that Sims 2 is still better, but I am sticking with the Sims 3 for now to see what happens, the biggest mistake they made in my opinion is adding their store, nickle and dimeing their loyal players, Big mistake. Also the animation for clothing and hair is awful, if this game does not improve I will not buy into a Sims 4 and I am all done updateing my PC for my Sims. Money is just not there any more. So please beware EA if you have not already blown it ( yes once again get rid of your Store and put the content back into the game where it belongs in the first place. )
clcny20

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 01:23:26 pm »

It would be interesting to see some figures on how many sims3 players have reverted back to playing sims2. I for one will never purchase the thing. There are several reasons for that. Ist., it's not really the sims, I don't know what it is but it's not the sims. The heavy wording of the sims3 EULA. That bloody store thing. The but ugly figures.Finally the rumored association with those weasels at TSR.
As said long ago. They could have made a killing if they had of upgraded the sims2 into 3 instead of this abomination and to hell with the system requirements. Instead they allowed that egotistical idiot Humble have his way.
Going back to those figures on how many are reverting back to sims2, I use the number of new creations I see posted on the various sites. The sims2 exchange is just one such example. When the game was first released it died right down to a mere trickle, now there's a flood of new creations. Surely that hasn't gone unnoticed by EA.

Hi all--my first posting on a Sims 3 topic...ever   Grin  I've been holding back, hoping my negative opinion on the game would change, but alas...

I would honestly love to see the stats on people going back to playing Sims 2 as well.  I really tried to love Sims 3--even though I was deadset against the game before it even came out--I even tried creating for the game and after spending an hour to get nowhere with my efforts, just went back to creating for the Sims2.

I did buy the S3 basegame, but have yet to buy the EP because...I just don't see the point.  I was really shocked, also, that they put out such a boring-seeming EP as their first.  To go from basegame to travelling was just weird to me...

The puddingfaced thing is annoying to me, as well.  The children are just creepy, and the toddlers look like little ventriloquist dummies--the type that watch you sleep at night from the rockingchair across the room...it's unsettling.

After some issues with my computer, I finally got a new one and have gotten back into gameplay--and I tried to get into the Sims 3, I really did...but I failed.  I just lost interest, and was annoyed that I couldn't get the sims' faces to look like the people I was modeling them after in real life.  It was hard getting used to the controls again too, I have no clue why they changed the controls from S2 to S3.

I agree that lots of beautiful custom content exists for S3...but it doesn't hold the appeal the custom content for sims 2 had for me.  One thing I absolutely ADORE about the S3 though is the body slider, especially since I downloaded the slider adjuster from MTS2, and can assign a bigger chest to smaller waists, it's great.  If the Sims 2 had that, that game would be perfect.

I say that last line, because I went back to my Sims 2 game again this weekend, and the skinny sims are...realllly skinny.  Like, toothpick skinny.  The ankles on them are scary, it's like "how do they walk on those?!" and even the chubby sims are still too skinny...I really wish there was some slider hack for S2.

But yeah, the faces are SO much easier to customize.  I tried to make a self-sim in S3, and came up with this weird way-too-smooth and pudgy face

Then I made myself in S2 (and I agree about them needing to make a bodyshop for S3, because I make ALL my sims in S2 using Bodyshop) I realize the definition in custom skintones really gave the face more shape (something I really haven't been able to find, even with all the custom content, for S3) and the different eye types...it really helps...

So, yeah...Sims 2 for me.  And I don't see myself buying this WA expansion pack, nor the next.  Sad, really--I wanted to love this game.

If you cannot accept me at my worst, then you do not deserve to know me at my best :happy8:
Nonni
Site Santa!

Who would Nonni rather kiss? Naughty Nonni!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 07:54:20 pm »

I don't have much to add but these comments I liked:

It would be interesting to see some figures on how many sims3 players have reverted back to playing sims2

To go from basegame to travelling was just weird to me...

The lore and appeal of TS3 is beautiful scenery and a traits system that they could have verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry easily translated into a new EP for TS2. In fact, all of the new features of TS3 could have been implemented into TS2 via an EP. And there in lies the main reason why the majority isn't buying in as you have. The game offers very, if any real innovation for it's price tag, and that price tag includes the game itself AND updating ones GFX and Sound cards to be able to run it if they have a PC older then 3 years.

There is still so many, many things I want to do, to make and to learn with my TS2. Another thing about my TS2 gaming I like is that I can save all the downloads and mods I don't use for current projects on an external drive so that I don't have to overload my game.

Then there is the TS2 community and all the treasures waiting for me to discover and commraderie to share that I don't want to lose to the evolution into TS3.

I feel kinda sad because I doubt EA would consider going backwards and actually create a new EP for TS2. Wouldn't it be a dream to have a TS2 EP that offered things we find a bit interesting about TS3 that would be easy on older computers? I would take bets on how popular that would be.

Isaac Newton defined tact as "the art of making a point without making an enemy."
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 11:30:01 pm »

It would be quite nice if EA actually considered that-but because they changed studios when they started Sims 3, it would be impossible to recreate the same game from the same people who it the first time.

I think that not only are players going back to the Sims 2, so are creators. They're possibly frustrated with the limitations that EA put on them, and some have given up trying to create what they can't do.

So EA isn't just losing players, they're losing the modders and creators as well. There has been an uptick on creations for Sims 2 everywhere, and I think that's why.

Pretty sad when the modders and creators throw up their hands in frrustration. It says a lot about the game.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: