Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:55:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the game keeps minimizing to the desktop and it won't stay up  (Read 47256 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
nekotlc

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

every time I try to load the Sims 2 it keeps minimizing to the desktop and it won't stay up. Now I can't play the sims 2!It gos right back down to the desktop. I tried going to properties and press -w I press - up pops ctrl+alt+- even though I did not press ctrl+alt+- that appears no matter what I pressed as if I typed in myself. I think the ctrl and alt keys are stuck on my laptop.  I would not know how to fix it or why it would stuck. I'm at the end of my rope please help!
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »

It might help us if you told us what your basic system specs are and what Windows OS you're using.

For example, my system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4Ghz)
2 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350
250 HDD
Windows XP Pro

I believe there are reasons for your game crashing to the desktop, but first, list your system specs for us so we can see if someone here who uses the same OS as you do will be able to help you.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:29:50 pm »

Is it minimizing or crashing? If it's crashing, it could be because of a few things, ranging from a conflict in your mods, a bad file in your cc, to any numbers of of problems with your computer (RAM, not enough hard drive space, spyware etc). If it's minimizing, there is something running in the background interrupting your game. My suspicion would be an anti virus program or your firewall.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
nekotlc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

it's minimizing not crashing to the desktop. It might be my anti virus it runs background scans on its own but normally it dose not cause my game to minimize to the desktop. Also it's strange that everytime I try to fix it to play in a window I press a button its followed by alt+ctrl+ then whatever  button I've pressed. somehow those keys must be jammed or stuck.
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:32 am »

If it's minimising, it could be that the laptop is trying to call your attention to something. Most Windows programs are attention seekers and will throw you out of full screen programs just because they want you to look at some useless message. A good rule of thumb when playing TS2 is to close out of most tasks that run in the background and that are not absolutely necessary for the running of the computer so they won't run while you're trying to play. Frees up memory and processing power plus it stops the attention seeking.

My game keeps minimising to the desktop too and I finally figured out why. During gameplay I often hit the Tab key to go into cameraman mode. Because I'm playing on a laptop, the Tab and Caps Lock keys are really close together and I sometimes hit the Caps Lock key while trying to hit Tab when not looking at the keyboard. And Windows 7 thinks that it is absolutely vital that I see a popup on the desktop that tells me that I put Caps Lock on, so it minimises TS2.

So it could be something serious or it could also be something absolutely frigging imbecilic that keeps minimising the game.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do by hitting -w on the keyboard. To get the game to play windowed, you need to edit the game shortcut properties by adding -w to the end of the filepath that launches the game for you. Additionally, for this to work, you would probably need to use the game exe and not the Launcher, which is useless and the spawn of evil. I don't use the Launcher but suspect that adding -w to the Launcher filepath will do nothing towards running the game windowed. Example from the Cnet help forums:

"If you have a desktop shortcut to a program, you can put the target in Quotation marks, followed by -w like so:

"C:\programfiles\muonline.exe" -w

This works for any program, but may slow down your computer."

You need to do this for the game exe. The above is just an example given for another program but the principles are the same. Right click on the shortcut icon, select properties, then edit the filepath so it mirrors the example, ie. add space-w to the end, after the quotation marks. And if it says "Launcher" in the filepath - that is NOT the right file to add the -w switch to and you need to point the shortcut at the game exe.

So, in addition to stating your specs and the EPs and SPs you are running, can you also tell us whether you launch the game using the Launcher and if you know how to change the filepath to point to the game exe?

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »

My computer came with this program called, HP Media Smart. Everytime it ran, my game minimized. I had to change the settings on it so it wouldn't interfear with my game.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
Ruffnut
aka KyleTheArtist

Totally Crazy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 03:25:48 pm »

Mine did that the other day. Turns out windows said it is an important update. Like srsly?!

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:44:56 pm »

srsly? 
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:04:56 pm »

My laptop had some windows issues, too. Updates and whenever I stepped over the memory limit. If I clicked where the info box was, the game would minimize (and use ages getting back up again).
Nowadays it's not that bad, since system scans don't usually show up when I'm playing, and since getting the game up/down rarely takes more than a minute.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:18:22 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »

srsly?

Heh. Let's not go around leaving snarky replies, mmmk?

...seriously. *grins*

Getting back on topic: my own game-minimizing issues were usually related to something trying to update itself as well. Ad-aware, AVG, and Windows Automatic Update were always the culprits.

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:37 pm »

Snarky?  I had no idea what it means.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »

When I was using AVG and Zone Alarm, they were the culprits for my minimizing woes. I've moved on to another program and have had no problems.

Kyletheartist, we ask in our rules that people avoid using text/chat/leet speak (LOL and the like are the obvious exception since everyone knows what they are) in an effort to make sure everyone's posts are understandable to everyone (since we have a lot of ESL members and not everyone will understand chatspeak).

Ancienthighway, I, personally, know you weren't being snarky, but it wasn't necessarily clear to others you were asking for clarification, whereas "What does 'srsly' mean?" is. Wink 

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »

At least there aren't pics with Orly and Srsly captions plastered across the images.  Grin

The only time my games (not just Sims 2) minimizes to the desktop is when Windows finds live updates and downloads them to install. I disabled the feature in Windows to update Windows manually as well setting my anti-virus program to update manually. I hate nasty surprises when I'm in the middle of a raid only to get yanked out of the game because Windows kicked in to search for and install updates.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: