Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 12:15:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to change texture size ?  (Read 4934 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Mazzard

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:20 am »

I see the different texture map size in some cloth and hair.

some are 512x512  , some are 1024x1024

I plan to retexture old hair but seem low res texture map.

I wonder to change it , could be ?
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:46:30 am »

I usually change the size with Photoshop (you can of coure use GIMP or something similar too), and save over the old files, before I start retexturing. Remember to resize all the maps belonging to the same age, including the alpha. Otherwise you'll get errors.

But just so you know, changing the image size won't help much if you're planning to use the same texture for a recolor.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:51:02 am »

Resizing a low res texture to hi also degrades the image quality substantially. The draw back of this is that a low res texture will end up looking grainy and stretched if you try and make it hi res. Shrink hi res textures to low isn't as big a problem, as it does the opposite. For low res textures, you could stand to maybe sharpen them a bit before you try to change the resolution to limit the image distortion, but distortion will almost always occur. Best advice I can give you is to edit the textures as is. If you zoom in (Control +) the image you can work a little easier on it without ruining the texture. Or you can just deal with hi res textures exclusively.

In summary: Zoom in the image, make your recolors to it, and save it in the same resolution as the original. Far less time consuming and you lose no image quality. Hope this helps you some.

Mazzard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:25 am »

no kaoz666, not only change texture size.  I 'll change the texture Coordinate in milkshape too.

I think this way can increase Hair texture to high-res.  Smiley
Carlwashere
Irrationally Optimistic
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:11:38 am »

I don't know too much about meshing, but I think Mazzard wants to change the size of the texture on the mesh, not the texture itself.
Maybe something along the lines of "I want this part of the mesh to be textured with a 1024x1024 texture instead of 512x512 (which I'm guessing it's mapped with now)"

I need more freetime.
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:21:36 am »

The easiest way to change the texture size is with Simpe.
You clone the hair with bodyshop and save the file.
You open the file with Simpe and build new texture files, 1024x1024 in your case.
Difrent genders/ages use often the same texturefile so you only have to reimport a few files while the alpha's automaticly change size.
When done you clone the file again with bodyshop and all genders/ages will be updated with the correct size.

no kaoz666, not only change texture size.  I 'll change the texture Coordinate in milkshape too.

I think this way can increase Hair texture to high-res.  Smiley

Nope, you end up with the same results as when using a 512x512 texture file unless you are making a brand new texture for it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:29:41 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:17:37 am »

You don't need to re-map the mesh if it's alreay mapped the way you want it. The mapping itself has nothing to do with the map size, as it is not pixel based. When you unwrap a mesh, you can render out any size you want from the same mapping.

If you want a bigger texture, it's the map size you need to change, as you have to render out the UV map as a pixel based picture to texture it (BMP, JPG, TIFF, PNG and so on).

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: