Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:50:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crashing on entering Lots  (Read 4748 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Sita

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2010, 06:53:28 am »

I am getting crashes almost every time I go into the game, always when loading a Lot. Always at the same point. I delete groups.cache, Thumbnails, Neighbourhood Manager, every time I am preparing to load the game. I check constantly for files=-in-the-wrong-places - sims2packs, rars, jpgs in downloads folders. I take out some or all of my downloads and then it MIGHT work - usually doesn't start working again after I have taken them ALL out. Then I start the long process of putting them back, a folder or so at a time. A week or so later I have my game almost working, I might find one item that I am suspicious of.
Then I visit a favourite site or add in some old downloads from my collection and off we go again. I never seem to get to play my game properly. Sigh.
I am careful - I use very few hacks and a small number of hacked objects but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm so tired of this. IS there any way to see if a download is corrupt BEFORE I put it in my game? I really don't need this amount of frustration. I DO use the Compressorizor and I don't use Delphy's tool or SimCategorizor because I hear those can interfere with Compressorized CC.
I don't want to play with NO downloads, and I do enjoy playing with new downloads...

and http://simechoes.org for Sims 1 and 2
Prudensh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:07:26 am »

IS there any way to see if a download is corrupt BEFORE I put it in my game? I really don't need this amount of frustration. I DO use the Compressorizor and I don't use Delphy's tool or SimCategorizor because I hear those can interfere with Compressorized CC.

Not really, because an item that crashes your game may do so because of a conflict with another piece of cc that is in your game but not necessarily in anyone else's. Some months ago I downloaded a toy from modthesims: it crashed my game every time. I had to come to the conclusion that it was conflicting with something else in my game - no one else seemed to have any problems with it. Although you can try the HCDU from Simwardrobe...it's often very useful.
I think you just have to bite the bullet & put aside a weekend to dedicating yourself to finding the offending item! Don't forget to remove your Saved Sims folder too...that's often the source of nasties. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Sita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:53 am »

i was afraid you would say that. My problem is it is not just A weekend. It's every week!

The only other thing I can think of is to NOT put any more downloads in,at all, ever... and that sort of takes most of the fun out of Simming.

I spose I get to play the game, working properly with all my dls in, for a day or two at most, then off I go again.

I am astonished that with all the brilliant Simmers we have, nobody has managed to make any kind of checking program though - I do use the CleanInstaller every time of course. Oh well, back to testing. It would help if it didn't take 45 minutes to load the game when it has much content in it, to go through all that and then find it's borked again....  Undecided

I wonder if there is any point in making a list of things that broke the game, to share with other Simmers? Though that wouldn't solve things conflicting with other things, it might help pick out the Dls that are plain corrupt...

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:23 am »

Does it crash very randomly? And do you by any chance use Vista?

I had a random crashing problem due to a large Downloads folder. I thought it was some bad objects at first, but it turned out the game needed more memory than what was enabled in the default settings (I have 4gb RAM, and with Vista the game tends to crash when it uses over 2gb).
The game would usually crash if I had new stuff it hadn't made thumbnails for. The objects worked fine, but the game had troubles loading them into the memory, and crashed.  

XP doesn't seem to have this problem, and I'm not sure about Win7.

Here's a fix that helped me, at least. (if you decide to try this, I don't think the download link works any longer. I uploaded it for someone else here).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:49:26 am by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:54 pm »

I only ever had that problem when I had some content that was for an EP higher than what I currently had installed. Took it out and not had a problem since. Good luck and hope you find the problem before you get soured on the game for good!

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Sita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:07:07 am »

No, I have Windoze XP for Sims - also Linux but it don't work there Tongue
Not struck with what I have heard of Vista and my sysadmin son says if I get it he will disconnect me from our network...
I have a large Downloads folder, but nowhere near as big as some - 3.46 gigs.
I normally delete the contents of Thumbnails folder before starting.
I have all the EPs and all but one Stuff Pack - one of the Christmas ones I think... and I'm pretty sure I am not using stuff made from that.
I do have some very large subfolders inside the downloads folder - a couple of sites I am very fond of Smiley
it's a good puter with decent RAM and plenty of space on HDs.
Thing that seems odd to me is that it is NOT random - it always crashes at exactly the same point in loading a Lot. Presumably that's when it's loading a particular set of files - CC? Once the game is up and running it never crashes. Touch wood!  Rock

Thanks for your advice anyways.
Paden I don't think I'll get soured on the game, at least not enough to give up completely. I'm an addict Smiley and Sims 2 still beats the socks off Sims 3 IMHO.

Still testing.

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:26:05 am »

With your game crashing when attempting to load a lot, it's more likely than not a problem with meshes.  A mesh not right for your game will crash it without warning or any sort of errors reported.  The thing that makes "bad" meshes so bad is you could have a mesh from day one of playing the sims, but if the object requiring the mesh is never needed, your game won't crash.  Crashes occur only when the mesh is used to display something whether it's a game objects, hairstyle, or clothing. 

Get Delpy's Download Organizer (DDO) from MTS.  After it scans your downloads, you can use it to sort your downloads.  You should be interested in putting hair meshes in one folder, clothing meshes in another folder, and object meshes in yet another folder.  It wouldn't hurt to put all the mods or hacks in a folder too since meshes and mods are where problems occur.

Leave one of the mesh folders in your game and move the other two to Desktop and try starting your game.  Do this for the each of the other mesh folder also, taking note of which one causes the game to crash.  If you have a folder that crashes the game, do a binary search on the meshes in that folder until you find the culprit.  There may be several, so don't stop at the first one you find.

Once you get to the point that you can at least load a neighborhood, create a new neighborhood, go to CAS and scroll through all the CC in all hair colors and clothes for all age groups, both genders.  This will force the game to load all the meshes and attempt to use them.  With a crash, you can determine which group, hair or clothing, is the problem.  Run another binary search to solve the problem and scroll again.

Then place a lot, go to buy mod then build mod, and scroll through all the objects that could have custom meshes.  Run another binary search to solve the problem and scroll again.
Sita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:53:38 pm »

yes but I heard that Delphy's prog if used with files that have been compressorized will (or might) corrupt them? So I daren't... I compressorize all my files cos it seems to help speed up loading. As I have to load five or more times before I can play, this is sorta important to me.

Do I understand you to mean that if this was a mesh, it would only crash the lots where it was used? I don't think there is anything I use that is on all the lots that crash. And yes I don't get any errors reported...

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »

If a townie is scheduled to walk by the lot and that townie was made with the problem mesh, the game will crash.  It would be the first time that townie is being used or the game would have crashed before.
Sita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:38 pm »

Not sure I understand that - this is a Mega Hood and the lots that are crashing are in various different places Belladonna Cove and the subhoods Pleasantview, Verona, Desiderata etc - The only place I haven't noticed any Lots crash is the Uni area - oh and Downttown cos nobody lives there.

So I spose the question then is, would the SAME townie, complete with incorrect mesh, be scheduled to walk past the lots in ALL of those places? As I understand it the AL townies would only turn up in apartment areas? The regular playable Sims have mostly been reverted to Maxis meshes as I've been going through process of checking, cos each time I COULD play a little, I saved, so they have Maxis hair and clothes when I first call them up again.

Thanks for trying anyhow.

MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »

You could also get the Hack Detection Conflict Detector from Paladin's site-it does not interfere with any game contents, but just scans the hacks you might have.

Here's the link: http://www.simwardrobe.com/

Delphy's program has been tweaked to work now with compressorized items. In order for it to work with those, though, you have to do 2 scans-one for the "load" and another for after you compressorize your items.

It really isn't that bad a program-pretty thorough, I must say; but the Sim Categorizer I've given up on-after using it a few times with all my downloads, it crashed my game when I had moved items. It can really screw it up big time if you aren't careful.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: