Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 05:46:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with "realism" ?  (Read 2844 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:26 pm »

I think maybe I just generally lose... But I'm struggling with making my creations look "real"

Like, the original shirts from MTS ( http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=299993 )

Have like, realistic coloration- when I make stuff it's usually flatly colored... How exactly do I make them "real" ?

Find me on moonlight <3
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »

Shadowing. You could use a clean white/grey recolor of something, make the contrast a bit higher, and use it as a "multiply" layer on top of the colored layer. Or you could paint shadowing yourself, though it takes some more practice.

I think there are some tutorials somewhere.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »

Giving a texture more ''depth'' is done on the normalmap texture(bumpmap)
You desaturate(making it grey colored/black and white) your normaltexture and reduce the lightning and contrast with arround 20%/30%(experiment with it.)
That texture you save as your normalmap texture.

Note,
Not all outfits are bumpmap enabled, you will see the extra file in your project subfolder when exported or you can use your F3/F5 and F9 keys in bodyshop and view the desired outfit by rotating and zooming in on it with your mousekeys.
When its bumpmap enabled you see the more 3d look immidiatly when rotating it to the dark side of the bodyshoproom.
Some older videocards do not support bumpmapping, thats something you should check first. Wink

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:43 pm »

I didn't really notice bump mapping on clothes before I got a new computer. Now I see how many of the downloaded clothes I've got are done too bad  Undecided
Bumpmapping is just to give the clothing a little finish. If you don't have shadowing to begin with, or if the bumping overdone, then it won't look good either way.

The best thing is to have good shadowing. I don't usually bumpmap the clothing I make, since it often looks better without, and since not all can see it anyway.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:55:20 pm »

Thanks guys!

So THAT'S how you do that!

I'm very happy to know this now!

Find me on moonlight <3
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: