Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 12:28:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interior Design  (Read 4756 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
miserydoll

I have a PhD in Horribleness!

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:08 am »

As anyone who has read most of my posts would know, I have found my calling in interior design. However, I cannot afford college classes. I am from Wisconsin, and I'm hoping that some people here at InSIM are too, since what I am curious about is how to start this career track but SKIP the college aspect of it.

So does anyone have a clue how I can manage this?
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:19:03 am »

Well... starting out in a career without any education in it is difficult. The cheapest, but most difficult way is to make a portfolio of design ideas and such and take it with you on a job interview (preferably your best work - and you have to show them why they should hire you before someone more skilled or with education background). If you're very lucky, the employer will see you as a possible candidate for the job, and might also help you out with education, maybe even pay for some of it.

But this track will only lead you somewhere if you have any skills in it beforehand. If you have no background at all, or no of the neccessary skills, then you're pretty much lost...

There are also options to do several types of education on the net, which is often much cheaper.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:21:14 am »

Going off what theraven said about cheaper education, you could try a community college  Wink

Find me on moonlight <3
miserydoll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:29:56 am »

theraven, thank you for your suggestion, but I don't even know where to BEGIN putting a portfolio together. The only interior design I have done is on the sims. My income is severly restricted, I cannot afford to renovate even my small apartment.
OBretterBO, As for community college, the one in my area is way beyond my expenses, I know $340.00/class including books is cheap, but I can't even afford that.  And with two young children and a hubby working 2 jobs, I am worried I will not even find the time to take online courses. Also, I don't have a bank account nor enough money to begin one, so that certainly rules out online.

My father and stepmother have offered to help out, but he is currently laid off on his job and they are struggling as it is, on top of sending my 18-year-old brother to Ashland College, a private school where one semester costs upwards of $240,000, not including books. I don't feel that it would be proper to ask him, especially with our relationship not being the greatest.

As for my mother and stepfather, they always say they would help if they could. There are rumors of divorce there, and they are always giving excuses not to help me when I really need them.

I don't qualify for any grants or scholarships (sadly).
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:49:14 am »

You can draw by hand, or get some sort of computer programme which is designed to help interior architects/designers. Then you make designs, and either make a CD/DVD or a paper portfolio. Maybe this and this will help.

One thing: Interior design, or furniture design?

But honestly I don't think you'll get very far with only sims experience. Sorry to say, but it's even harder to get any way inside creative careers without any education or skills...  Undecided

There is hope if you're very skilled in something but don't have any formal education. However, inside interior design there are probably lots of things you'll need to learn before anyone considers it interesting to hire you.

Funny thing - our first 3D assignment my first year at 3D design was in fact interior. 3D skills can be a plus, since you then won't need someone to make the preview design for you.

Then again, some people do make great house and interior designs with sims. You can get good practice there, at least Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:03:56 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:43 am »

http://www.plan3d.com/pages/interiordesignhome.aspx?adRef=IDgoog23&targetContent=interiorDesign&gclid=CKDR3_XU3qECFRbyDAodYB9VKg

and

http://www.smartdraw.com/specials/ppc/room-layout-design.htm?id=139873&gclid=CLzwu_LU3qECFRchDQod_CWXJw

Are what I use Wink

Find me on moonlight <3
miserydoll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »

theraven, interior design. Like matching the paint on the walls to the flooring, the matching drapes to highlight/accent the contrasts. I'm pretty good at it, I worked alongside my dad when I was a kid and my dad, he is usually very critical, said i had talent in it. Of course, I was 15-16, and then wanted to be a nurse....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:23:31 pm by miserydoll » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

Unfortunately, there won't be much you can do to replace what going to school will give you. Schooling does not equal skill, but it does equal knowledge and experience and is really the only way a lot of people will even consider hiring you. It will also help you build your portfolio.

If this is really what you want to do, then research your options. I don't live in the US so I don't know what's available to you or what isn't, but if you can't afford it on your own, maybe look into if you can get any student loans if you can't qualify for grants or scholarships. Maybe you could find a school you're interested in attending and phone them to ask what your options are. If you don't have a bank account to help squirrel away money to help with your education, then why not get one? Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »

Just wanted to make sure Wink

If your father is an interior designer, that might give you an edge, since he could help recommending you.

My site:

miserydoll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:26:10 pm »

If your father is an interior designer, that might give you an edge, since he could help recommending you.

Actually, he's in construction, he would be a contractor if he had the schooling for it  Sad I'll see what he has to say. I hardly do anything without his OK anyhow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: