Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 05:04:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice & Help Request  (Read 19761 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Ldyvamp

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:48:41 pm »

I am having the dreaded blue screen issue with my video card and there used to be a topic at this thread that listed all the video cards that have this issue with the sims 2:http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Technical_and_Graphics_Issues

Well, the thread is missing. Can anyone tell me if it was moved or where I can find a list of all the video cards that have this blue screen issue? Maybe, some friendly soul can offer me advice on what to get? I would hate to buy the wrong video card AGAIN. The one I have is only a year old and I have to replace it because of this issue. Here are my specs:

I am running windows xp and have all expansion packs

Dell Dimension 2400
Bios: Phoenix Rom Bios Plus Version 1.10 AO5
Processor: Intel Celeron Cpu 2.40GHZ
Memory: 1022Mb Ram
Direct X version 9.0c
Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce 6200
Chip type: Nvidia Geforce 6200
Dac Type: Intergrated RamDac
Total memory: 256.0
Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll version 6.14.0011.8250 english
DDI version: 9 or higher 
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »

If the link above don't work for you, just take away the "nene." from the link Wink
Couldn't find the list, but there is a lot of info in that thread, and it does mention some cards.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:14:14 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:58 pm »

Your videocard is fine, used to have the same one and had no problems playing the game.
Try uninstalling the drivers, reboot and reinstall a updated version.

No longer active
Ldyvamp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:27 am »

Thanks Bloom

I am a little confused on which driver I need. When I visit this site: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

Option 1 - It doesn't look like my card is in this section
Option 2- The automatic scan is not working for me.

Can you help me find the right driver. If I can save myself some money that would be great!
It says on the site that I don't have to uninstall the old driver and that the new one will overwrite it. Should I still go ahead and uninstall anyway, when we find the right one I need?
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:30 am »

I sent them an email and they got back to me pretty fast.

They'll tell you to download a tiny program called, CPU ID. Run it, and it'll give them all the information they need. You'll have to attach the info to your email.

When they get back to you, they'll also give you the links you need to download the updated drivers. They'll also tell you how to uninstall the drivers and install the new ones.

I was done in less that 48 hours.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:02:41 am »

It is there,
You need the 6 series. Wink

No longer active
Ldyvamp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:33:25 am »

Well, I have spent the last two days on this. Nvidia has been a great help in sending me information on what drivers to try. They sent me a link to two different ones but, neither one worked. I also tried the 6 series out Bloom and am still having the same blue screen problem. I even took all my downloads out and tried it that way. No luck. When I move the camera around or especially if lightening strikes on a lot, the blue screen shows up. I have even tried turning the shaders to false and still, the same problem. It sounds to me like it's the video card if none of these things I have tried has worked. And now, I am at a loss on what to buy since that list that used to be at Mts2 is missing Sad
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:29:29 am »

You should've installed both of them........

Also, try turning of your anti virus before you start the game....Just a suggestion.

The Sims 3.........NO!
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »

i used the 6200 for 4 years and never had one blue screen.....strange.
You might need to update your chipset drivers(either intel or VIA)

No longer active
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:24:26 pm »

I'm just wondering if she has enough RAM. Maybe 1 GB isn't really enough with all the EP's.

The Sims 3.........NO!
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:22 am »

I googled the problem and it is most likely a drivers issue.
Here's another fix,

THE FIX

Install Driver Cleaner Professional.(It is not longer free. But its free version is still lurking around the web. Probably here)
Uninstall your current nvidia drivers.  
Reboot  windows in safe mode. (Show me how)
After rebooting, windows will auto-detect the graphics card and try to install drivers for it. Just cancel it.
Run Driver Cleaner Pro and under ‘Cleaning Selection’ menu select ‘nVidia’.
Hit ‘Start’.(This would delete the driver files and registry entries.)
Reboot Windows in safe mode.
Install the latest nvidia drivers.(Get me there) [84.21 drivers works best in most cases]
Boot windows normally.
It should fix most of the issues related to corrupted nv4_disp.dll driver. If it doesn’t, there might be a hardware issue.
http://howtobyte.blogspot.com/2009/05/nv4dispdll-blue-screen-error-fix.html

I still would look for updates on your chipset drivers also!

If this doesn't work then try the following,
Uninstall all nvdia related drivers, reboot and go to windows xp Update(wupdmgr.exe)
Search for all updates, it will give you a older driver for your card but it will be digital signed(WHQL)
Means its for sure compatible with XP, thorougly tested and all errrors have been fixed.
Install that one...

Oh, and always make sure antivirus is disabled when in or uninstalling!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:41:25 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Ldyvamp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:47:57 am »

Ok. I will try your suggestion. Don't worry, I did run a clean driver utility after I unistalled the drivers and before installed the new one and yes I always turn off the antivirus software before playing and installs. The game will not let me play anyway if I had antivirus on. Maybe I should get more ram as well. Where do I find the chipset drivers at Bloom? Could you send me a link? I meant to ask you as well bloom, what video card do you have installed now? I have read the procedure you sent me at the link you posted. That blue screen looks different than the issue I have. The blue screen that comes up for me only happens when playing the game. The screen goes totally blue with an hourglass that keeps rotating. Sometimes the screen will come back long enough for me to save the game.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:25:22 am by Ldyvamp » Logged
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:29:52 am »

Sounds to me like you definitely need more RAM to be able to play the game. If you're getting the blue pause screen that some of us have experienced after hitting the stupid Windows button (right between the ctrl and alt buttons) and it refuses to load back to a playable state, I don't think it's your video card. Sounds like not enough memory to make the game playable.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »

Oh, then it could be indeed a matter of low memory.
Next time you you get that screen hit ctrl alt delete and check your memory usage.
1gb should be more then enough for the game to run properly tho.
The minimal sims 2 system requierements are 256mb, 512mb with the latest EP's.
So is suspect there are other proggy's suking up that memory.
You could install Game booster, you hit it before playing the sims and it will terminate all the proggy's you dont need.
When finished playing you hit it again to set it all back.

I now have a geforce 7600GS with 512mb memory, great card for sims 2 but not that good for sims 3 Sad
Its a very cheap card these days.
My system is much older, got a 2.0 ghz processor on a 8 year old mainboard and its dying.
I do have 2 gig of RAM memory, that does help tho.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:33:28 pm by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Ldyvamp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »

Thanks so much for the help and telling me about game booster. I downloaded it and will see how the game works using it. I am also planning to get another gig of memory. Maybe that will help too. At least now, if I do decide to get another video card I have an idea of what to buy. Thanks bloom for letting me know which one you use and thank you all for trying to help me. I appreciate it so very much. I'll let you know how things work out or if I have any more problems. You guys are great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will work cause I am frustrated out of my mind! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: