Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:50:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims 3 Ambitions Information  (Read 6119 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

Ambitions brought new changes to the game starting with the way you install the mods and use them. I came across the announcement at MTS where they let people know what they need to do. The instructions are basic and easy to follow.

Unfortunately, I don't have Vista or Windows 7 installed to give you accurate instructions, BUT if you used XP before and know roughly where the locations should be, you should do all right.

XP Users:

The new Mods folder is now located in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

Before Ambitions, you had to install framework in the main directory of Sims 3 and then later in the directories of World Adventures and HELS. The Mods folder was included with framework to make it easier for players to install without too much trouble.

But Ambitions does not automatically generate the Mods folder!

Instructions to create the Mods folder:

1. Open Windows Explorer from Start - All Programs or on the desktop (if you created a Windows Explorer shortcut on the desktop)
2. In the left pane, navigate to the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

3. Then click File on the menu bar and choose New to create a folder.
4. Name the new folder Mods and then press Enter to save the new Mods folder. The Mods folder should now be in the location exactly as shown:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

5. Go into the Mods folder and repeat Steps 3 and 4 to create two more folders. Name the new folders DCCache and Packages.

Both of these new folders should now be in the location exactly as shown:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\DCCache
C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

6. Go back to the Mods folder by navigating back to the folder in the left pane.
7. Open Notepad and then copy/paste into the new file:

Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

8. Then click File and choose Save As on the dropdown menu.
9. In the file name field box: Resource.cfg

Make sure the file extension is .cfg, not .txt!! Save the new resource.cfg file to the Mods folder. The file has to be in the Mods folder and nowhere else.

That's it! Move your mods to the Packages folder in the new location where you just created the folders and any .dbc files to the DCCache folder.

IMPORTANT:

Please do check for new mod updates specifically for Ambitions. The creators should already have new Ambitions versions or information about the mods they made for Sims 3 and let you know whether they work or not for the new EP. If the mods do not work with Ambitions, PLEASE take them out! Any mod that's not updated or verified for Ambitions should not be used because these mods will cause issues for you and your game.

Most creators should have information about their mods, and please check their threads to make sure. If these creators appeared to be inactive for a long time, don't use their mods. Use replacement mods (to replace your old mods not updated for Ambitions) from other creators who are active and currently making sure the mods are updated for Ambitions and whatnot.

To test and make sure the mods are actually working, create a new town for the sole purpose of testing the mods and play for awhile until you see something wrong. Then report the issue to the appropriate thread from where you got the mod or check the official Sims 3 site to see if EA is aware of anything broken in the game or any bugs they know about and will plan a fix for them in the near future.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: