Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:40:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EAxian Spyware And YOU!  (Read 21207 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:27 am »

As some of you may be aware, the latest Pudding contains an insidious SPYWARE that phones home to its EAxian Masters.

What nefarious things does it report? Well, for starters, the following things have found to be reported:
1. Your device stats. If you've ever read a crashlog, this means the game is reporting back the name of your computer, and your username. This quite possibly means *YOUR* name.
2. Every time you startup your game. Are you home? EAxis knows you are now.
3. The name of your saved games. Do you name your saved games after your fambly members, perhaps because its theirs? EAxis knows this now.
4. Every cheat code you type in. Do any of those things contain any names you wouldn't want someone to know about? EAxis knows this now.
5. Everything you buy from build/buy mode.
6. An enormous number of things your sims do: What jobs join or leave, what moodlets they get, potentially their NAMES...do you name your sims after people you know? EAxis knows this now.
7. Much more not yet uncovered.

Naturally, all internet communications reveal your IP address unless special measures are taken. In combination with some of the above, this information is now potentially life-threatening. A number of early modders were killed, disappearing under mysterious circumstances, when they came too close to the truth, so EAxis has been known to kill people.

How YOU can protect yourself:
1. Do not allow the game to communicate with the Internet.
2. Use AWESOMEMOD. AwesomeMod cripples many of these logging features by disabling their listeners, which will not only protect your privacy, but also improve game performance every so slightly.
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:14:10 am »

Wow.  shocked
That's really, really, creepy. I think I'm going to sell my copy of TS3 now...

I'm currently inactive here, find me over on Garden of Shadows instead.
zombie
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:28:00 am »

For many months I've wondering how long it would take EAxis to actually activate their spyware, which they had planned in advance with the EADM. Why else would they demand that you be actively connected all the time to their servers?

This is why you don't ever, ever want to be connected to the Internets while playing any game.
Plus, one might want to make sure all financial information (credit card numbers and the like) is off the computer while you're connected. Never can tell what they're actually reading-and they will never tell you.

soulofthesea
Composer/Sound Engineer in Training

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:50:04 am »

Good golly. I wonder how the hell do they get away with bugging/tracking/spiking their customers? James Bond should investigate. Maybe Elliot Carver's behind all this garbage. OK, the Elliot Carver joke is only going to be funny to those who've seen Tomorrow Never Dies. rolleyes The rest of of you will be like, "Elliot Carver? *snicker* What?"

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

They certainly know how to sell their games, first securom, now this. One can only conclude that they are determined to go to the wall.

What a pack of idiots.
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:00:16 pm »

LOL you really had me up until "A number of early modders were killed, disappearing under mysterious circumstances" good job

http://dragcave.net/view/FQZT<<<< clickety click click

*Moderation Note:  Only 1 image may be used for signatures.  Must be no larger than 250w x 50h pixels.*
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:47:20 pm »

For many months I've wondering how long it would take EAxis to actually activate their spyware, which they had planned in advance with the EADM. Why else would they demand that you be actively connected all the time to their servers?

Just play the game without EADM, put a shortcut to TS3.exe on your desktop.
And you dont need to be connected to play the game Wink
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:52:32 pm by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »

and the best advice that i can give you is if you don't want the game to connect you can always uninstall the eadm as well that is what i did Wink and that cause the game not to connect as well.

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
Hammie
Nervous Subject

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:40:36 pm »

So, without the EADM it's safe to play, and they can't track you? huh

I'm currently inactive here, find me over on Garden of Shadows instead.
zombie
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 02:43:14 pm »

What is it with software peddlers these days? Why this desire to constantly peer over ones shoulders so to speak when using said software? Does anyone have any rights to privacy anymore?
I don't accept piracy as an excuse. The great majority of pirates never had any intention to play let alone buy the games in the first place, they just do it because they can.
I would like to see the results of a market survey regarding the number of games sold and those not sold because one has to be connected to the net to play, and couple that with game sales lost to piracy.
One all ways sees the hysterical figures of hundred of thousand pirated copies of such and such game, movie and soundtrack and how artists, authors etc. are loosing millions hand over fist in lost revenue. Garbage, I say because the vast majority of pirates never had any intention of playing , seeing or listening to the stuff in the first place, they just download it because it's there and it's free. An example is the CC. via the Booty, I don't think the players who download there ever had any intention of donating to Peggy or TSR. they just download it because it's there and it's free.
Police etc. need a court order to come into your home and snoop around. Why don't these weasels require a court order to install spyware that does much the same thing?
For the benefit of game company spy's that monitor sites such this. I will not buy any game that requires me to install steam, I can and will do without.So add that into your stats.
HappyThoughts
Lump of Clay

Fear me I'm 5'3" ooga booga booga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »

yes Ienjoy hamsandwiches, as long as you don't install the download manager when it asks, the game will run fine with a cd crack... I encourage cd cracks as I have had to replace alot of my older pc games discs because they eventually became unusable.  My original sims2 disc takes 5minutes to start the installation launcher. 

I agree with roerzman, statistically the people pirating games have no intention of buying said game or donating to any paysite for their cc.  But there are that select few who refuse to buy anything w/o a proper demo or preview.  In that respect I can safely say I do and have pirated games on my pc.  And can also say I've saved myself alot of money and spent just as much on the ones that were worth it.  Sims3 hasn't made the cut so far, but in my opinion it's still in 'development stage'  (I'm being optimistic)  Bashing aside I really hope future changes to the game will open my wallet for the real deal.

I also think paysites would recieve more donations if they 'weren't' a paysite.  Look at the free sites, I find it much more encouraging to give my money to people who only create for the joy of sharing not their thickness of wallet.  Paysites reap what they sew. sorry if I'm too off topic.

DreadWizardDM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:50 am »

The majority of the "spyware" is to probably help them track glitches.  However I do believe this is quite an invasion of privacy on the part of EA.  There are several ways to disable them tracking you...

1. Dont use the EADM, make a shortcut to the proper exe file.
2. Just disable your internet connection before playing.
3. Adjust your firewall settings to not allow any outgoing information to the IP of EA.

Personally I would be happy if they could just roll out a clean / working patch that fixes everything... so if that means spying on the non tech savvy masses out there, I personally do not care. 

PS: AwesomeMod fixes like 90% of all the problems that the official patches SHOULD address.  I highly recommend it for all players.
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:39:29 am »

That's seriously the scariest thing I have ever heard of! EAxians are horrid if this is true! I
 glad I only play sims2...

Find me on moonlight <3
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:08:52 pm »

Wait, I needed EADM to install Apartment Life. Will they be able to spy on me playing the sims 2?

http://dragcave.net/view/FQZT<<<< clickety click click

*Moderation Note:  Only 1 image may be used for signatures.  Must be no larger than 250w x 50h pixels.*
Sita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 06:03:19 am »

I haven't been able to read this forum for ages. Now that I can, I LOVE THIS POST!

Beautiful! And Helpful! and Funny!

As a confirmed and certified user of AM for many years, it makes me feel all happy inside.

and http://simechoes.org for Sims 1 and 2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: