Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 01:58:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Performance  (Read 1810 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
stryeyeddrmr

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:59:15 pm »

Hi, I've been playing the Sims 2 with all expansions and most stuff packs since it was first released on a computer that I've had since late 07.
I have a lot of CC and I've noticed quite a bit of loading times and lag/unlag.
I eventually am going to get a new pc, as this one is starting to get strained technology wise, but was wondering what I could do to help in the mean time?

I've tried putting new ram in, but apparently the ram I got was too advanced.
My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+  1.0 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405.

I realize by now this is probably veryy outdated.
I have updated all drivers as far as NVIDIA updates, but I am not sure if I should get higher ram or graphics card until I can get a new pc?
Or would it be better to just get a new pc?
Sorry for all the questions  Embarrassed

Currently the initial loading screen for M&G takes a while, loading screens for houses and stuff take a while but not too bad, and when playing the actual sims it is mostly smooth but I've noticed it's starting to get choppy. Unfortunately, I never organized my CC because by this point it's too much and half the stuff is no longer on sites so I cannot just delete everything.

Ps: If I get a new pc, is there a way to save my downloads folder so that when I install them all on the new pc, I have all my CC? And will all the expansions work on new 2010 pcs?

Please shed some light.
-Ash

Sims 2 expansions: $20 New ram for cc: $ 60 Escaping to another reality to the point of addiction: Priceless
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »

Depending on what type of RAM your present pc takes, it may be cheaper just to wait until you get a new one. I mean, does it take DDR or DDR 2 or SDR (I think that's the other one.)? DRR 2 is the one that's the most common these days and the others are somewhat outdated.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:31 pm »

I think you're putting a strain on your video card. I used to have the same exact video card and I never went beyond Open For Business.

If your video card is integrated, most of your RAM is being eaten up by your graphics. That's means less RAM for everything else.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
carenmrose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »

I also have a (laptop) from mid-2007.  While I don't have all EP's installed, I can certainly sympathize.  I've got over 6 gig of Downloads, and it takes 20+ minutes to load the game.  I'm very fortunate, however, that I can run on all the highest graphics settings with little lag.

First of all, with RAM, you have to make sure what you get will work in your computer.  The best place to check is crucial.com, where you can just input the brand, model, etc of your computer, and it will tell you what is compatible and what is not.  You don't have to buy the RAM from them if you can find it elsewhere for cheaper.

Second, do you have both slots full or just one?  I would assume most computers from 07 would support 2 gig of RAM, and I found that once I upgraded from one to two, things ran a lot faster.

If you are planning on getting a new computer, hold off on the graphics card.  What will work in your old computer may not work in your new computer, and that's something you'll definitely want to move to your new.

For organizing DL's, have you tried Delphy's Download Organizer, at MTS?  I find it's very useful for sorting large download folders (like mine).  While just sorting your CC won't make load times faster, it can help you find things you *don't* want easier.

And yes, if you get a new comp, you can transfer all your files.  This is what I'll be doing myself as soon as I get a motherboard and get my new comp up & running ...
If you have an external hard drive or any large USB flash/pen/jump drive, that's the easiest way to transfer files.  Just copy your whole The Sims 2 folder to the removable drive (which will take a while).
You can even copy all the files from your *Program Files* Sims 2 folder if you want to keep things like mods that modify these files.
In either case, make sure you install all EPs/SPs on your new computer first, making sure to start up the game after each pack installed.  Then install all your "base" mods/stuff like Scriptorium, the CEP, lighting mods, camera mods, etc, etc.  Then copy the folders from the removable drive and let them overwrite everything. 

Check out my website
and my story "Picking Up the Pieces"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: