Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 12:45:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims Size or Resolution  (Read 4330 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Cindra
California Girl

Fun, Fresh, Fierce!!

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:27:28 am »

Ok I'm wondering why my sims height is taller than I remember it being. I'm not using the "stretchskeleton" cheat either. This is just how the sim is normal size.

Is there maybe a way to reset the resolution or something? This is a brand new computer and I just got the game with all EP's and SP's installed earlier today. I don't know though, maybe it's fine but just looks different on a different computer.

Zoomed out all the way, I cannot see the top of my sims head. I've provided a picture for you all to decipher whether it is me or there is something I really need to adjust. Please inform me of anything that can solve this issue. Thanks in advance everybody!!! Smiley

Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:04 am »

While I can't say for certain, it might be an issue with using a widescreen resolution/monitor. My own copy of TS2 started doing that very same thing after I switched over to a new computer with a widescreen display. Changing resolutions didn't really seem to help it any. (change resolution via the Graphics options in game).

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
Cindra
California Girl

Fun, Fresh, Fierce!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:50:46 am »

Yea I do have a wide LED screen on this new laptop of mine. I do love the way the picture just pops out at you and I'm able to have my settings maxed out which is nice also.

They only appear freakishly tall at the CAS screen. In-game it seems normal to me.

Thank you for your reply and input Jenna. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one experiencing this sim oddness. I appreciate your help.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:54:11 am »

Here's something for you to try...

1. Right click on your desktop.

2. Go to the properties tab at the bottom and select it.

3. In properties, select the settings tab.

4. In settings, increase your screen resolution to 1280 x 960. This is the standard resolution for most monitors.

5. Select apply, then ok and you should see everything on your screen get a bit smaller, but a lot more crisp looking.

The problem with new monitors on new PCs are that they haven't been optimized yet. All they do in manufacturing is check if the monitor itself is working. You have to set the resolution yourself. Hopefully this helps you out some.

Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:10 am »

Try this. It's a "fix" for CAS for use with widescreen monitors.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:12:11 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:13:05 am »

Fixed your code for you. (Changed it from "urk" to "url" Wink)

You can also amend the Graphics Rules.sgr file to include your monitor's resolution if it's higher than what the game offers. It's really quite simple to do. I have XP, so these instructions are for that OS.

1. First, go to C:\Program Files\EA Games\<Your Latest EP>\TSData\Res\Config and open the Graphics Rules.sgr in Notepad

2. You have to find the following string (it's about three quarters of the way down the document, give or take - just go to Edit>Find and search for "option ScreenModeResolution"):

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 800
uintProp maxResHeight 600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium
uintProp maxResWidth 1280
uintProp maxResHeight 1024
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $High
uintProp maxResWidth 1600
uintProp maxResHeight 1200
end

3. Under "setting $High", change the value for "uintProp maxResWidth" to your monitor's width and then change the value for "uintProp maxResHeight" to your monitor's height. If, for example, your resolution is 1900 x 1200, you would see this:

setting $High
uintProp maxResWidth 1900
uintProp maxResHeight 1200

Save it and, the next time you open your game, you'll be able to go into your video option and choose your monitor's resolution to play your game at.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:41:00 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:31:47 am »

*urks* Oooh, 'scuse me...

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:52 am »

Did I urk instead of url?

*urk*

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:02 am »

I'm not sure it's a factor here, but there is an option called "square pixels on/off" in the graphic settings. This has to do with widescreen format (16:9) and any resolution that isn't 800x600 or 1024x768. Could be the reason your sims look squashed... Try to put it on if it is currently set on off. Worth a try Wink

I had the same troubles myself when I got a widescreen monitor. Still isn't entirely fixed, but I can manage with the way it is now...

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Cindra
California Girl

Fun, Fresh, Fierce!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:17 am »

Thanks so much for all the helpful reply's.

kaoz666 - My screen resolution is at it's maxed setting of 1366 x 768 and there is no "Properties" option. There is a "Personalize" but couldn't find anything to adjust resolution. Thanks for the tip though!! Smiley

Engram - Unfortunately that fix didn't do anything for me after I installed it Sad I appreciate you reminding of a tip like this.

Joy - For some reason I did exactly what you said and it kept giving me a block message and wouldn't apply the changes. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation of how to do this. Smiley

Theraven - After I set my pixels to "on" it made my screen even thinner and my sims taller and lankier looking lol. It also changed the quality of the picture, which I didn't like. I appreciate you bringing this option my attention nevertheless. Smiley

Even though my issue didn't get resolved to my preference, I really do appreciate everybody's time and efforts in helping me. I'm sure we'll figure something out. If not, I will be able to do without and just try to zoom out a little more and try to see more of the sim Smiley Thank you all so much!!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

What was the message you were getting?

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Cindra
California Girl

Fun, Fresh, Fierce!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:43:54 am »

I made the changes in the txt form as you instructed like so below:

This is the message I get when I try to save:

Undecided
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

Theraven - After I set my pixels to "on" it made my screen even thinner and my sims taller and lankier looking lol. It also changed the quality of the picture, which I didn't like. I appreciate you bringing this option my attention nevertheless. Smiley

It depends on your resolution. If you're using 800x600 for instance, this option will only make it worse. It's for widescreen resolutions.
Not sure if this option helped me (don't have my game running at the moment), but I tried several things, like changing the resolution. I think I've got my on 1600x900 or something. I'll check later.

And you could try to copy the file to desktop (save a backup too!), do changes, and overwrite the old file afterwards. I've had troubles with saving directly before.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: