Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 12:28:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: So I'm considering getting more EP's  (Read 12072 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Ifrito

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:02:17 am »

I have all the Sims 2 EP's up to and including Seasons, and for the longest time I've been considering getting the rest while I still can.

Cause, quite frankly I never did get any of the expansions for Sims 1 until it was far too late and now they are rather hard to find.

Now, I know there was a giant issue with securom on Bon Voyage. But since EA has been getting smacked around about that for a few years, to the point that not too long ago they "offically" announced that they would cease usage of said DRM and return to CD Keys and stuff more akin to Safe Disc.

Well, cutting it short, I'm out of the loop, I don't know crap about what's going on with the EP's past Seasons other then what I've mentioned. I want to know if they've been released DRM free, and if they are worth it in peoples opinions.

I got the Repo man back, it was a sly move. Acting like I was his friend, and then...BAM!, into the burning kitchen with him he went!. They never found his remains....*Evil Laughter*
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:44 am »

IF they are, indeed, SecuROM free, then I would say definitely they're worth getting. I love the different features that I have, but I have only up until Seasons. I still get mesmerized watching the fish swim around in the ponds. Gimme a break, it's a cat thing. Cheesy

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:56 am »

To be honest, I have all the EPs and SPs and I have never experienced the plethora of reported problems that are supposed to pop up, nor have I been able to find any trace of Securom on my computer. I understand, though, if you pay for the downloadable versions, they do come with Securom.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:57:30 am »

So, it could just be the downloadable versions that hold securom and people often fail to make the distinction?.

I got the Repo man back, it was a sly move. Acting like I was his friend, and then...BAM!, into the burning kitchen with him he went!. They never found his remains....*Evil Laughter*
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:08 am »

I believe it's the EA Download Manager that's the real culprit.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:10:08 am »

Hmm...typical. More EA stupidity that creates problems for them because they treat their consumer base like criminals.

Well, I don't use the EA download manager anyway.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:17:58 am »

To be honest, I have all the EPs and SPs and I have never experienced the plethora of reported problems that are supposed to pop up, nor have I been able to find any trace of Securom on my computer.

Me neither - not as far as I know, anyway.

I bought all my games at the store, I don't every use the download manager (or I did until I discovered the Clean Installer, years ago), do everything of installing manually (except for Clean Installer which is used for installing sims/houses).

I once tried to download some of the (free) official stuff, but some of the objects only messed up, so I ended up deleting them. I don't use the store, either. Don't feel the need to, as I have all the EPs and SPs, and most objects are from there anyway.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:38 am »

Hmm...well, that's good to know, and I see I can still get the patch's easily.

Of course, I had to go to Amazon.com to find the games easily.

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:17 am »

Back when Bon Voyage first came out, I installed it on my good gaming computer and the headaches/heartaches began. First, my new burner refused to work like it ought to, then it refused to recognize the silly thing altogether. Then my anti-virus kept screaming that it didn't exist. I wouldn't have been so mad if I'd not had the last and only pictures of my father (who was dying of colon cancer at the time) and my son together on the hard drive. The stupid thing also refused to recognize the printer I had installed on it, and it had worked just fine the week before. I finally was able to salvage the pics and some other things, but I had to reformat and re-install the operating system. The computer still doesn't run right, but it's often like that after a wipe and re-install. I'm one of the players that got hit with a myriad of problems and to this day, I refuse to install any new expansion packs. If I could find them without the DRM, you can bet that I would buy them and play them, but until I know for sure that the new disks that are out there don't have it, I won't touch them.

catorix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »

I have all the eps and all sps except m&g. I've never had any problems either, and I uninstalled the ea download manager...you just have to go at it from add & remove programs....Smiley
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 04:04:54 pm »

I believe it's the EA Download Manager that's the real culprit.

I used EADM to get Apartment Life and my game worked just fine....well...my computer wont turn on anymore but I dont think that's the game's fault

http://dragcave.net/view/FQZT<<<< clickety click click

*Moderation Note:  Only 1 image may be used for signatures.  Must be no larger than 250w x 50h pixels.*
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »

Well, you can get a tool, last I knew, over at Reclaim Your Game. It will tell you if you have SecuROM on your machine and it will remove it. Wish I'd had it back in the day, though, would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »

Sadly, I know I already have Securom in my computers. I did some digging about several of my games, and turned out that Command and Conquer 3 has it.

Though it doesn't seem to have any impact on that computer.

However for THIS ONE, Crysis did. From the start. It messed up my log in stuff, where as originally it was set to log straight into my account after I installed Crysis the ONLY EA game I had at the time. And one of the first ones installed that had ever given me a problem...well, it changed to the "Select your profile" setup.

I had to get help from a friend to bypass the problem and be able to auto-log in to my account, which resulted in me having to downgrade the shutdown menu graphics on XP to something more akin to ME or below.

And a few months ago I was dealing with a nasty ransomware problem by ripping it out of my registry, and guess what I found?, yup, Securom in my registry.

But, anyway, yeah, I've heard the horror stories about Securom, and I've heard that there are different versions. And that Bon Voyage's was that happy destructive version that brought a ton of law suits down on EA for their trouble.

But hey, like I said, I'm out of the loop. Best to ask people who would know more.

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 02:42:40 am »

When I got this computer, one of the first things I installed was, The Sims 2 and all the EP's and most of the SP's. Never had a problem. I figured if I do that first, I should be safe. And, I was. Even after installing all my other programs, Secu-ROM, never acted up.

The Sims 3, and World Adventures, got installed also. No problems.

But, way back when, I almost took a blood oath that I would never buy another EA/Maxis product. Also, I had a very early version of Secu-ROM. I got that from DiabloII, Lord Of Destruction.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:19:15 am »

When I got this computer, one of the first things I installed was, The Sims 2 and all the EP's and most of the SP's. Never had a problem. I figured if I do that first, I should be safe. And, I was. Even after installing all my other programs, Secu-ROM, never acted up.

The Sims 3, and World Adventures, got installed also. No problems.

But, way back when, I almost took a blood oath that I would never buy another EA/Maxis product. Also, I had a very early version of Secu-ROM. I got that from DiabloII, Lord Of Destruction.

Um, could you clarify where you got your copy of Diablo 2 LOD. Cause as far as I can ever recall. LOD was around far longer then Securom's design ever was. Infact, if I recall when it came out in 2001 it had a basic security code input and something more akin to Safe Disc requiring the CD be in to play.

And Securom as I recall first surfaced around 2006. First as a hidden security measure in that one Sony music device whose name eludes me, which earned them a heaping lawsuit.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: