Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 10:56:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game won't launch link to My Documents folder  (Read 5881 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
PhaseWalk

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »

I was playing along, the game crashed - which it has done before. Went into Body shop, played around a bit, then tried to relaunch the game. It will not launch. It creates an EA Games/Sims 2 folder in Public Documents instead of linking to the My Docs EA Games folder. I delete the folder, but when I try to relaunch the game, it recreates that folder in Public Docs, but won't launch. The Sims 2 folder in EA Games/Public Documents folder will not populate with any other folders. Is the game totally trashed or is there a solution - short of total reinstall.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »

That folder is just there. The same thing happens to me. I don't know the reason why.

Just find find the name of your latest EP/SP inside Program Files(x86)/EA Games or Electronic Arts. Look fior the name of thaty game and inside the folder look for the .exe file. Right click/send to desktop.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
PhaseWalk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »

I have applications but no .exe files, aside from the uninstall files. This is running on Win7. I hit the launcher, and it looks like it is starting to load and then just completely stops and bounces back to the desktop. Have never encountered this before in all the crashes this game has had - and there has been more than any other game I have every played ... probably combined.
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 07:30:15 am »

OK, ignore the Public folder. It's useless and it won't populate. No idea why it's there, though someone who knows more than me about Win 7 might enlighten us.

Go to the populated EA Games folder under your user's My Documents. Navigate your way to My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and in there delete the file Groups.cache.

If you have "applications" then you have exe files. Your windows settings just don't show file extensions so it looks like you don't have them.

You would be best off starting your game from the game exe and not via the Launcher, which is useless and makes you go through a 2 step process for no good reason.

If you have Apartment Life go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSBin and then right click on Sims2EP8 and select Send to... Desktop (create shortcut). This will create a shortcut on the desktop. Change game folder and filename to send to desktop depending on your latest EP.

Delete Groups.cache as previously instructed, then click on your shiny new desktop shortcut and fire up the game.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
HappyThoughts
Lump of Clay

Fear me I'm 5'3" ooga booga booga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:46:23 am »

also, after openning bodyshop it creates a cigen. file that will also need removed.  It can be found in your my documents/ea games/sims 2.  I also have windows7 and must do this before every launch.  Also right click your desktop shortcut to the game and go to properties, compatibility, and check the box at the bottom that reads run as administrator.  I found alot of my older games (and new) need this box checked to run proper.  Any other issues or questions you find you have feel free to pm me.  Engram's post is right on the money, make sure you follow those directions as well.  Hope your playing again soon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: