Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 03:50:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Game crashing at loading screen  (Read 7038 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Aquarius

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »

Ok, so I've been playing the sims 2 on my dad's computer ever since my laptop broke...so about a few months and it's been working fine(though it is REALLY slow) but recently it's been crashing at the first loading screen. Like right when the little yellow bar at the top is like a second away from being filled, it just crashes. I thought it was a custom content problem so I took the downloads folder out and tried it again. same problem. Then I installed a Freetime patch, didn't work. THEN I thought installing another expansion pack in there will solve it cuz that's what happened a few years ago when I was having a crashing problem so I installed the Apartment life that I never got around to installing and ran it without the any Custom Content. The game is still crashing. Can anyone help me, PLEASE!!!!

http://dragcave.net/view/FQZT<<<< clickety click click

*Moderation Note:  Only 1 image may be used for signatures.  Must be no larger than 250w x 50h pixels.*
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »

Have you tried to delete the 2-4 cache files? Usually helps me...

Or have you tried to reinstall everything? Uninstalling and installing can sometimes cause things to go messy. Could be some corrupted gamefiles, which re-installing usually will fix.

If it has been running really slow, then it could be that installing one more EP was just over the limit of what the computer could manage. I gave up after Freetime on my laptop...

And, of course, if the computer is running Vista (maybe also Win7), and you have between 1-3 GB of memory on the computer, it could be the really annoying 2GB memory crashing.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:27:12 pm »

where are the cache files located?

*Moderation Note:  Only 1 image may be used for signatures.  Must be no larger than 250w x 50h pixels.*
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:32 am »

Same (The Sims 2) folder where you find the Downloads folder. Accessory.cache, groups.cache, cigen.package and contentregistry. You may or may not find all. Some generate when you run the game, others generate when you do various things with Bodyshop.

I have to delete them every time I play, because otherwise my game usually decides it won't start at all...

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »

Ok so the only one I found was Accesary cache. If the others come up when I start the game do I just do a ctrl-alt-esc, delete the files and go back into the game before it finishes loading?

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:46:50 pm »

You have to delete them before starting the game. After the game is started, they're regenerated, and there will probably be at least one you can't delete before closing the game again. The game needs the files while you're playing.

My site:

Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:43:11 pm »

...how do I delete them before starting the game if they don't even show up until I start the game

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:35 pm »

Delete the whole folder(sims 2) with everything in it.
Backup your CC and neighborhoods if you want to keep them.

If this doesn't do the trick it is prolly related to your comp.
You also could make a new useraccount on that pc and start the game from that one.

No longer active
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:46 pm »

Will the sims 2 folder regenerate once I start the game up again?

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:10:44 pm »

Yes, but if you want to preserve your Downloads, pull them out first. You could alternatively try renaming your Sims 2 folder to Sims 2 Backup or something. This will do the same thing as deleting it.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 07:33:06 pm »

Well I deleted my sims 2 folder, started the game up without my neighborhood or downloads folder. No problem. I put the folders back, it crashed, I took the Neighborhood folder out, the game works fine now. I guess there's somethin wrong with my neighborhood folder. No biggie, I'd been plannin to start my game over anyway. Thanks guys

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

A crash like you're having can happen because of meshes that are not compatible with your game.  This may be what's happening in your game. 

Unfortunately, many creators don't identify EP/SP requirements and the HCDU can't check meshes, so it's a trial and error process to find these meshes that are incompatible.  Binary searches work best.  Organized folders, to include a place where you put new downloads really help too.
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

You sure it's a mesh problem? Cuz the game worked just fine with my downloads folder. The problem is something in my Neighborhoods

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:33 am »

This may be what's happening in your game.

Meshes are a different kind of animal.   I've had a mesh in my game for months, maybe even years, that never caused problems because if was never used.  I never scrolled far enough in CAS/BS for the thumbnail to be generated.  The outfit was assigned to a townie, who never visited community lots.  Then the game started to send this NPC with the incompatible mesh to the comm lots when I visited them and the lot would crash when loading.

Then I decided to scroll through all the CC in CAS, and when I got to the page that contained this outfut, the game would crash.  It could have been custom hair, build mode item, or buy mode item, but I have already scrolled though all the CC there that have custom meshes.

So an incompatible mesh is always a possibility.  One way to tell if it is a problem is to open up CAS and scroll though all the clothing and all the hair for all the genders and age groups.  If the game crashes, you've got a bad mesh in that area.  Open up Buy mode and scroll through everything, especially all the Decoration items.  If the game  crashes, again, you have a bad mesh.  Same with the Build mode, especially the trees, and bushes.

Yes, a bad mesh is always a possibility, even if the game worked fine for as long as you remember.  Yes, a bad Neighborhood is a possibility as you suspect.
Aquarius

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:18 pm »

Ok, I got another question and thought it'd be a waste to make a new thread for it. I just used a flash drive to transfer my sims 2 files to anoter compuiter, I put all the folders for each expansion into the Program Files section of "My computer" but the game and all the epxansions still aren't installed. What do I do? Do I need the disks? If so then it's a lost cause Cry PLEEEASE TELL ME I DONT NEED THE DISKS!

EDIT: Bodyshop seems to work....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:03:43 pm by Aquarius » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: