Insimenator.org
April 24, 2024, 06:23:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with eyes  (Read 1642 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
IronBeard

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:40:27 am »

I recently re-organised my downloads folder and removed a load of custom eyes that I no longer wanted or used, having long since decided on a very nice default replacement set and some additional shades from the same creator.
I assumed that any Sims that may have been created using eyes I had removed would revert to a default shade from my default replacement set, I didn't care which.

Now I discover that one of my Sims and her baby suddenly have those horrible Mansonesque Maxis eyes. I assume that she was created with a removed non-default eye shade, hence the revert to default, but I can't understand why it's the Maxis default and not the replacement. All other Sims continue to have the lovely default replacements so obviously there is nothing wrong with them or their location in my Downloads folder.

I've tried re-generating the Accessory.cache and the cigen.package; that didn't help.
I've tried replacing the N.hood with two back ups a month apart; neither worked.
I've tried putting the eyes I removed back into the Downloads folder and even that hasn't worked!
I've tried various combinations of the above but they still have those creepy, staring eyes.

Frustrated, I dropped a satellite on her head and giggled maniacally as the Grim Reaper dispatched her to Sim hell. Then, consumed with remorse, I quit without saving and headed off here for a fix. Until then, all I can do is give the pair of them mask contacts.

It occurs to me that the only reason I keep this game on my computer is so that I always have a problem that needs solving!
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:43:12 am »

As far as I know, sims with custom eyes revert to whatever eyecolor their current skintone has. If that is the maxis eyes, then... well.. they will get that.

Removing eyes can cause troubles in your game and mess up genetics a lot. Clothes and hair reverts to maxis, and I think skintones does too, but if you take out custom eyes and then breed the sims, then the missing genetic bug will eventually spread all over the neighborhood. Townified eyes are especially buggy on this, as they randomly spawn on new townies.

So if you've got a sim like that which you really like, I think the best solution is to extract with SimPE, and clone with Bodyshop, putting on some default eyes in the process. (Don't ask me how to, as I've not done much of that...)

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
IronBeard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:20:28 am »

I've never really had much truck with the game's supposed genetics; if I don't like the way a Sim looks or acts, I change its sorry ass with a skintone changer or other object. The Insimenator gets a lot of usage around here!
But of course, eyes are another matter. I seem to remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on changing eye color with SimPE, though being on a Mac, that entails transferring a copy of my n.hood folder over to the horror of the house Vista and, most likely, screwing things up totally.
Actually, the mask contacts I made look pretty good, so if this Sim has to spend the rest of her days wearing them, so be it. The kid I'll probably sever its relationships, move it to a 'house of death' and bid it farewell, then make one that looks the part and move it in as the girl's child; she'll never know the difference!
It's never easy, being God.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: