Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 02:33:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Directx 9.0c (again)  (Read 8900 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
albmont

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:05 am »

After about half an year without The Sims 2 because Windows XP crashed,
I could reinstall Windows and try to play The Sims 2. I got this error:

Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!
  Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter
  and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The
  application will now terminate.

Is there any way to bypass this error, or I must try to figure out how do
to whatever this message is trying to tell me to do?

Last time I tried to fix this error was probably what caused Windows XP
to crash.

PS: I just thought it would be meaningless to start a new thread with the same subject as a previous thread.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:06:41 am »

As I said in the other thread, it was, first, not your thread to hijack and, two, it had been almost two years old since it had been posted in.

In any case, did you read the thread and do what was suggested there? Please do so. We can't help without knowing more about your computer.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:35 pm »

I read the the other thread, I ran dxdiag, and it just told me I have DirectX 9.0c, but I also don't have it.

Going through the windows help is pointless, because it all ends with the same non-suggestion

And there's no way to figure out what is the stuff I have to download to solve the problem.

Sorry for the typos (using a Netbook to post while Windows takes the other computer)

FWIW, here is the non-information dxdiag gives (it's in Portuguese, I'm mistranslating):

Device:
Built by: n/a
Processor type: n/a
Type of digital/analogical converter: n/a
Total approx of memory: n/a
Current exhibition mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (1 Hz)
etc

*Posts merged. Please do not reply to yourself.*
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:30:48 pm by albmont » Logged
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »

Posts merged. Please do not reply to yourself, at least not within a few hours. Considered bumping a thread.

Oh, and typos can be eliminated by actually reading through what you've written before posting it. Might take a few extra seconds, but you don't have to excuse yourself all the time, and it's a lot less annoying for whoever is reading your post.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

Well, you'll note in the other thread I asked the OP to list their computer specs (which I asked for when I requested more info about your computer in my last reply). N/A doesn't help us at all, because none of us can see your computer. Please tell us your processor speed, RAM, graphic card, etc.

Without knowing anything, all I can suggest is updating drivers.

albmont

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:24:47 pm »

As I wrote in my first message, I was hoping that there were a purely Sims2 solution, like editing some game parameters to avoid this problem - because I'm aware that this is not a Windows forum.

Using Linux command lspci -vv, I think I got what is the video card...

VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology SiS661FX GUI 2D/3D Accelerator

... but I still have no idea on how to procceed from here. I don't think going to Microsoft's site and downloading DirectX 9.0c will solve, because (if I can read it correctly) it seems that DirectX 9.0c is already running (but not working properly);
OTOH Silicon Integrated Systems's site is very unhelpful too, and does not include the download of anything that looks like a DirectX 9.0c.

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

No, this isn't a Windows support forum, but often a problem you're having with your game is related to a problem with your computer, and many of us here are tech savvy. When you get any error message while running your game related to anything on your system aside from the game, then we need to know your computer specs to help. You still didn't give me all of what I need, and I don't know if it's a matter of you not understanding, not reading the whole post, or what. When you run dxdiag, you'll see your system information on the first tab. What I need from there is the following information:

Processor:
Memory:

Next, click the display tab. What I need is the following:

Name:

Third, click the DirectXFiles tab and tell me what it says in the bottom window. If there are no problems with the DirectX files, you should see "No problems found". Please tell me what it says there.

Please give me ALL the information needed here. Not just samples. I don't want an appetizer, I want the full meal, here. Wink

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:21:15 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:19:32 am »

Wait a moment, are you using Windows as an operating system or are you running Linux? This is the line that has me confused: Using Linux command lspci -vv, I think I got what is the video card...

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:06:50 am »

First update your XP version(start menu, windows update)
It will install and/or update drivers, install sp3 etc etc.

No longer active
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:42:20 am »

Does sound like the OP is running Linux and not Windows. And the information provided indicates that whatever they're using does not have a video card but an integrated chip. From the Gigabyte Technology site:

"Integrated Real256ETM 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator
The SiS661FX chipset provides Ultra-AGPII Technology to deliver the highest bandwidth 3.2GB/s by 2 Pixel Rendering Pipelines and 4 Texture 3D Graphic Engine. It also has advanced HW acceleration for DVD playback and shared memory size up to 64MB. "

Information about the actual operating system, the processor, RAM and more information about the graphics chip would be useful.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:14:23 am »

If he's running a Windows emulator....I think it's called, WINE or Solaris, he should still be able to get the Direct X info......And, everything should update. At least I think it should. It's been awhile since I read up on Linux platforms.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »

how would he end with linux if he reinstalled windows?

No longer active
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »

Depends on if he has a Windows partition on his drive, I've read (and my brother-in-law tells me it's possible because he has Linux and does it) that it can be done for games and such.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:01:46 pm »

Sorry to get you all confused with my laconism... I will try to answer y'all here.

Wait a moment, are you using Windows as an operating system or are you running Linux?

I am using both, in a computer with dual boot. And when I wrote the horribly misspelt message (that I later edited) was running both, at the same time, in two different computers (the Linux was a netbook whose microscopic keyboard refused to obey my clumsy fingers). Right now I'm using Linux, and soon I will reboot to Windows to see what I can do to play The Sims 2 again.

First update your XP version(start menu, windows update)
It will install and/or update drivers, install sp3 etc etc.

I already did that.

Does sound like the OP is running Linux and not Windows. And the information provided indicates that whatever they're using does not have a video card but an integrated chip. From the Gigabyte Technology site:

"Integrated Real256ETM 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator
The SiS661FX chipset provides Ultra-AGPII Technology to deliver the highest bandwidth 3.2GB/s by 2 Pixel Rendering Pipelines and 4 Texture 3D Graphic Engine. It also has advanced HW acceleration for DVD playback and shared memory size up to 64MB. "

Information about the actual operating system, the processor, RAM and more information about the graphics chip would be useful.

What does that mean? Can I run The Sims 2 with an integrated chip?

If he's running a Windows emulator....I think it's called, WINE or Solaris, he should still be able to get the Direct X info......And, everything should update. At least I think it should. It's been awhile since I read up on Linux platforms.

I tried wine for The Sims 2, but it didn't work. After a Google search, I found that nobody can run The Sims 2 in Linux.

Depends on if he has a Windows partition on his drive, I've read (and my brother-in-law tells me it's possible because he has Linux and does it) that it can be done for games and such.

There are two ways to do that: either using a boot manager (it's called GRUB, but there are other boot managers), or with VMWare.

With a boot manager, at start I can chose if I run Linux, Windows, or whatever I put in any partition. One system runs while the other is just some bytes sleeping in (usually invisible) areas of the disk (or disks). Installing Windows first, then Linux, automatically gives the user the dual-boot option, but it's possible to do the other way if Linux is in one disk and Windows in another different disk - Windows formats the critical parts of the disk when installing itself.

Ok, now I will reboot and see what Windows tells me.

If you don't hear from me here for some time, then it's because I'm busy creating my perversions of The Sims 2.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:09:33 pm »

You know, I'm started to get a little frustrated here. This is at least the third time I have asked for more information about your computer and have gotten no answer.

How much RAM do you have?
What processor do you have and what is it's speed?

I'm not the only one who has asked for this information. Without it, you really can't get any help that doesn't consist of a pure guess. There is a reason why people ask clarifying questions in a help thread, and it's because that information is needed before you can get accurate help.

Either answer these questions, or we'll be forced to assume you're more interested in giving us the run around rather than getting the help you need.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: