Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 05:22:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Directx 9.0c (again)  (Read 8996 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:30 am »

You know, I'm started to get a little frustrated here. This is at least the third time I have asked for more information about your computer and have gotten no answer.

How much RAM do you have?
What processor do you have and what is it's speed?

I'm not the only one who has asked for this information. Without it, you really can't get any help that doesn't consist of a pure guess. There is a reason why people ask clarifying questions in a help thread, and it's because that information is needed before you can get accurate help.

Either answer these questions, or we'll be forced to assume you're more interested in giving us the run around rather than getting the help you need.

From dxdiag:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz

Memory: 2016MB RAM

Name: (empty string)

DirectXtab: Nao foram encontrados problemas (= No problems found)

But that was before I ran setup with a file that I downloaded somewhere,
I solved the DirectX problem, and now I think I may be able to play The Sims 2
(there are still other problems). I will post the complete solution to the
DirectX problem at night (or tomorrow).

Thanks for all the help.

Now for the solution:

(1) Test if the problem lies in DirectX or in the Video driver. dxdiag can tell that

(2) If the problem lies with DirectX, then try to solve it (no clue). If dxdiag says something like "No problems found", then the problem lies with the Video card.
From this point on, we will suppose that this is the problem

(2.1) Discover what is the name of the video card. I don't know how to do it
in Windows, but in Linux it's just:

lspci -vv

(2.2) Go to the company that produced the video card, and download the
driver.

(2.3) Install the driver - in my case, the driver was a zip file, I had to unzip
it and run setup

(3) Reboot and test if the DirectX error remains.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:48:04 pm by albmont » Logged
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 01:29:38 am »

You know, I'm started to get a little frustrated here. This is at least the third time I have asked for more information about your computer and have gotten no answer.

How much RAM do you have?
What processor do you have and what is it's speed?

I'm not the only one who has asked for this information. Without it, you really can't get any help that doesn't consist of a pure guess. There is a reason why people ask clarifying questions in a help thread, and it's because that information is needed before you can get accurate help.

Either answer these questions, or we'll be forced to assume you're more interested in giving us the run around rather than getting the help you need.

Its not important joy. Wink
Sims 2 requiers:
800mhz CPU
256mb ram and a 32mb videocard.
Since the Integrated Real256ETM 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator is based on a Pentium 4 mainboard i am 100% sure his pc exeeds the minimal requierments.

Edit,
Ah, missed Albmonts last post.
See.. Smiley

@Albmont:
Did you install the mainboard drivers when you had a clean Windows installation?
ITs the first thing you normally do, then update all the software/drivers.

No longer active
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:26 am »

Well, just because he has a P4 motherboard won't mean he'll have enough enough RAM. As far as I knew, Albmont only had enough RAM to run the OS. I won't know for sure if I don't ask, right? Hence my repeatedly asking for the rest of the computer specs. When diagnosing a problem you never assume, you ask for specifics. Wink

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:55 am »

A P4 comes with minimal 256mb memory wich is enough to play the sims 2.
But if he has taken it out and has replaced it with a lower one then yes, then you want to know.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:04:26 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
albmont

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:47:16 am »

Follow up: finish the install of The Sims 2 (basic). I can't find my EP1 uni CDs, but I will next install EP5 Pets, and try to hack it to use the older Uni install. Maybe I will post a in-character thank you image (with Sims) soon
Zooey
aka The Creeper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:59 am »

Try running it windowed. I had the same problem until I did it. Ever since, I play it windowed. Right click the shortcut, select Properties and at the end of the Target line, add a " -w" without the quotes, of course. Good luck.

Please? *makes puppy face*
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 10:52:17 am »

A P4 comes with minimal 256mb memory wich is enough to play the sims 2.
But if he has taken it out and has replaced it with a lower one then yes, then you want to know.

Again, not always. Years ago, I had an older P4 machine with only 128MB, which is just enough to run XP and, no 256 MB of RAM isn't really enough, despite what the box says. In any case, I am never going to assume what a person has on their computer. The only way I'll be guaranteed to know is if I ask. You'll note, as well, I didn't know Albmont had a P4 machine until I asked for it (along with the RAM) three times.

You go ahead and assume; I'll ask and be sure. Tongue

albmont

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »

Try running it windowed. I had the same problem until I did it. Ever since, I play it windowed. Right click the shortcut, select Properties and at the end of the Target line, add a " -w" without the quotes, of course. Good luck.

No, it didn't work. But this is no longer a DirectX 9.0c problem, but a reinstall problem, so I guess I will stop using this thread to try to solve it. I installed basic, EP5 (Pets), but now I can't play because the game tells me that it will obliterate the Universities and grow the YA to Adults if I play.

I opened a new thread: Reinstall problem

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:07:12 pm by albmont » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and lock this, then. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print