Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:11:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hair Meshing Tutorial  (Read 25115 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
djmur91

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2006, 09:17:11 pm »

I decided to put this here, because I didn't know where else, although I didn't look very hard. lol.  But here it is:

I wanted to make a hair meshing tutorial, so here it is..

I remember when I first started I couldn't really find a good hair meshing tutorial,and it took me a very long time to figure out how to do it. Now that I actually can, I thought I would help all of you guys out there who'd like to try. I like helping people.  I tried to make it as simple as I could, but sometimes things like this get complicated, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

EDIT by beosboxboy: In the latest versions of SimPE (0,60 and higher) there is a PJSE Body Mesh plug-in included in the install that allows you to extract all the necessary parts without resorting to the manual extraction of mesh components detailed in this tutorial.  If you prefer using an older version of SimPE then you may be able to get a version of the plug-in that is compatible with your favourite version number (SimPE 0,58 and above) here: http://www.simlogical.com/PJSE/PJSEindex.htm (Hosted by Simlogical)

Documentation on the PJSE Body Mesh plug-in is available here: http://www.simlogical.com/PJSE/BodyMeshTool/PJBMThelp/Contents.htm (Hosted by Simlogical)

Versions of SimPE older than 0,58 must still use the manual extraction method detailed in this tutorial; for that reason this tutorial has been left without changes out of consideration of those persons who prefer the older versions of SimPE.

Since the writing of this tutorial Wes_h has released the Unimesh plug-ins for MilkShape 3D that have replaced the older plug-ins mentioned in this tutorial, their operation is similar but greatly expanded and improved.  The link in this tutorial has been corrected to the new plug-ins.

Although this tutorial is not obsolete, many of the procedures have been greatly streamlined by the improvements in the tools.  A re-vision of this tutorial is needed to reflect those changes, so the user should be careful to read the documentation and threads dealing with plug-ins to see what changes have been made and adjust the steps in this tutorial accordingly.

How To Make a Hair Mesh

Programs Needed:
-SimPE http://sims.ambertation.de/
-Milkshape 3d http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

You also need the wes_h Milkshape plugins. UniMesh plugins for MilkShape (1.78 and UP)

Make sure that the plugins are installed in the directory folder where Milkshape is installed on your computer.

1. Open Bodyshop. Decide which hair you would like to edit and export that as a project file.

2. Do any editing that you would like to do on the textures before reimporting it. Then import it into the game.

3. Close bodyshop.

4. Open your Sims 2 directory on your hard drive. This is not in the same place as where your neighborhood data is. This contains all the base information needed for any user to play the game. On my computer it is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2

5. (see note by beosboxboy above) Go to EA GAMES --> The Sims 2 --> TSData --> Res --> Sims3D. Open Sims03. This contains all of the original game's GMDC files. These are the ones that you will be editing. I usually export a lot of them at a time, so I don't have to keep going back into that package file to find more hair meshes.
*If you had exported a hair from either Nightlife or University, then you will need to open those directories instead. The folder 3D for the expansions is the same as Sims3D for the original game.
(University: EA GAMES --> The Sims 2 University --> TSData --> Res --> 3D. and Nightlife: EA GAMES --> The Sims 2 Nightlife --> TSData --> Res --> 3D)

6. I don't really know how to tell you to find the right mesh for the hairstyle you chose, although I'm sure that there is a way. I scan through all of the names to see which one seems like it would be that particular mesh. It helps if you have one of the newest forms of SimPE because you won't have to use the name map to find the instance to find the right mesh. Make sure you export the right age group/gender for your mesh. A= Adult T = Teen C= Child P= Toddler E= Elder F= Female M= Male.

The age and gender will becombined to make the beginning of the name of the mesh. (Example: af = adult female)

There's not any hair meshes for elders, because the adult meshes fit their head, so by editing an adult mesh, then you are actualy making a mesh for adults and elders. (If you have University then the same mesh will fit the Young Adult as well )

Once you find the mesh(es) that you want, then left click on them and export them. I usually keep all of them that I export in organized folders. It is good to do so, because then you can go back and edit them again if you'd like. You can do whatever you'd like but it makes it easier to edit that mesh if you save them by their name. Example: afHairLongSimple, I would save as: aflongsimplegmdc. This way, if I choose to edit the mesh later, I will know which one it is.

7. Open Sims04 and export the GMND file that corresponds in name with the GMDC file you exported. After you do that, do the same for Sims05 (SHPE files) and Sims06 (CRES files) I usually name the files the same as the name that I called the gmdc file, but instead of gmdc at the end, it would be the right four letters for whatever file type it is.

8. Now you can edit your mesh. Use the wes_h plugins to import one of the gmdc files into Milkshape. I think it is pretty self-explanatory how to actually edit you mesh. Milkshape is fairly easy to use.
When you are done editing your mesh, MAKE SURE that all the vertices are assigned to a joint. It WILL NOT work if they are not all assigned. To do this, click on the tab label "Joints" on the left side of the screen. (or where ever you have the menu thing)

If you click on a joint then it will appear red. DO NOT move these. It will affect how your mesh looks and it usually doesn't come out very well. Assign any vertices surrounding the joint to it. This will affect the animation and how it moves when the Sims turns their head.

In most cases, you will have to select the bottom 5 or so vertices on the back of the neck and move them down a little bit. Otherwise there can be a gap there, which would be a problem.

Export your finished product.

8. Once you have all four files (GMDC, GMND, SHPE, and CRES) and your new mesh file, you are ready to make the new pacakge file containing your mesh.

Open SimPE. Make a new package. Add your four extracted files to the package. Click on the GMDC file. You will be replacing this file with yoru new mesh. First though, you will want to copy the name of it. Then, replace it. Fix the name so that it is EXACTLY how it was before you imported it.

9. Fix integrity. You can do this by going to (at the top): Tools --> Object Tools --> Fix Integrity.
This is when I give my new mesh a name. Under ModelName I always type in my name, followed by the age, and then the name of the mesh. For my adult Willow mesh, I put djafwillow. You can put in whatever you want I guess but make sure it has your name on it. I usually put it that way so that it is the same as the name of the actual mesh itself. Click Update, then Okay.

10. I save all my meshes in one format. To do it the way I do you would save your mesh as MESH_YourNameAgeNameDate.
And example of this is my Willow mesh for adults. I saved it as MESH_djafWillow122405.

You don't have to include the age, but I always do because most of my meshes are for more than one age group.

Save this in your "Downloads" folder.

11. While still in your mesh package file, export your new CRES and SHPE files. I usually save them as, AgeNameFileType. (Example: afWillowshpe or afWillowcres) It does not matter what you name these as long as you know what they are. I keep them all in one folder, so that if I choose to apply the mesh to a different hair .package, then I won't have to go back into the mesh .package to get them.

12. The fun part : Applying your mesh to the bodyshop package.

Open the package you made in bodyshop. It will be in the SavedSims Folder. Add the CRES and SHPE files you extracted from your new mesh to this package.

In the Resource Tree, click on 3D ID Referencing File.
If you don't have expansions, then there will be 6 Files. If you do have expansions, then there will be 7. These are usually in order of age group going down. The first one would be toddler, second child, third teenager, fourth adult, and fifth elder. With expansion packs the order is the same except that Young Adult comes in between Teens and Adults. I'm not sure what the last one is, but you don't edit it, so leave it alone.

Click on the age group that corresponds with the mesh that you made. As I said before, the adult mesh will work for Young Adults, Adults AND Elders, so you will have to edit those too.

Sometimes the 3d ID files are out of order, so check to make sure that the adult and elder (and Young adult) age groups have the same resource node and shape numbers before going in and editing it.

Click "Package" A PackageSlectorForm will appear. Find the resource node and shape that you added and drag them to the 3D Id editor. Delete the resource node and shpe that are already in it and are at the top. Move your CRES and SHPE to the top in replace of those. The resource node must always be at the top.

Go back and delete the files you added to the package. SAVE!

Close.

14. You're Done!! Good Job! I hope you like your new mesh! Open Bodyshop or the game and check for errors or things you want to change. Good Job!

I hope this helps! Good Luck Everyone!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:44:23 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

KnightSkyKyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 06:33:52 pm »

Thankyou for this tutorial, Dave.

I had been meaning for a long time to make hair meshes for male sims.

But, I was always getting distracted, and ended up making a few clothing meshes instead (which were easy but still very time consuming, as I only moved vertices around a bit), and a lot of skinning (clothing mainly, and genetic skins) for male sims.

Seeing your tutorial here... I'm considering going back and actually doing what it was I was originally going to do (male hair meshes - there are too few out there). I've just been lazy, because hair meshing looks like a lot more work!

cheers,
Knightskykyte

Check out my sexy male sim creations! http://www.insimenator.net/forumdisplay.php?f=170
djmur91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 07:47:43 pm »

That's great to know.  Thanks.

trecool999

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:26:20 am »

Thank You, thank you, thank you! Cheesy:D

I want my RS Account Back
manuel
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 01:20:42 pm »

I don't speak english... Can I have speak italian??
Franky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:48:34 am »

Wonderfully written...thanks so much!
Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 04:58:36 am »

Don't forget as from the Pets release of SimPE there is now a special tool for collecting the 4 resources so you don't need to find the GMDC, GMND, SHPE, and CRES the long way.

Tools|PJSE|Body Mesh Tool

Read how to use it at
Help|Topics|PJ Body Mesh Tool

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
silver37240

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:41:50 pm »

nice thanks for the turtorial

blood? what blood?
wes_h

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:52:30 pm »

Nor very long after this tutorial was posted, I made a major update to the MilkShape plugins, which I called the UniMesh plugins. While the operations appear similar, the underlying code is more advanced.

The link to the plugins should be changed... the correct one is:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=122399
This link is in the post you find by following the old link, but people could be confused.

<* Wes *>
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:31 am »

Quote from: gurllivinlarge;563669
Disregard that last post i figured it out and was able to make a beautiful hairmesh.

In the latest versions of SimPE there is a PJSE Body Mesh plug-in included in the install that allows you to extract all the necessary parts without resorting to the manual extraction.  If you prefer using an older version of SimPE then you may be able to get a version of the plug-in that is compatible with your favourite version number (SimPE 0,58 and above) here: http://www.simlogical.com/PJSE/PJSEindex.htm (Hosted by Simlogical)

Versions of SimPE older than 0,58 must still use the manual extraction method.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
gwynne
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:55:11 am »

I am desperately interested in a streamlined, unified, up-to-date hair meshing tutorial that doesn't require you to go read other (out-of-date, half-relevant) tutorials for crucial steps, and which takes into account the latest versions and tools. Just posting this in hopes someone was already working on one or may be inspired to; there are a lot of would-be creators out here who can't *quite* make it through the current jumble of tutorials.
P_soyene

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:59:45 am »

You are very nice guy i have save your tutorial and i will try to do.
abbbbey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:42 am »

I try but I am stuck at step 7. I can not export the other files, I managed to open the GMDC file in the plugin view but there is no way I can export the GMND, I can extract with a right click in the ressource list but I suppose it is not the same.
Then I read Inge Jones's post and I am wondering if I should have done something different as I have a recent version of simPE.
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: