Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 03:43:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom tv commercials? :SOLVED:  (Read 4815 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:23 pm »

Hello, I am attempting to make new commercials for my sims' televisions. So I am having problems. I put my .avi file in EA games > The sims 2 > Movies > Broadcast > Commercials, and it doesn't show up on the tv. So I was wondering if the video had to be a certain file type, or if there is more to it than sticking the video in the commercials folder.
Help?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:27:25 pm by jinxismycat » Logged

XPTL297

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:23:56 am »

So far I know, these videos have own configuration to show up in game. I suppose you should take a look on how the game videos are configured.
mookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:34:43 am »

I've been able to use custom  .avi files in game. I downloaded a custom tv station , which had one package that went in the standard downloads folder and one that went into the config folder.  The file that goes into config was supposed to replace the broadcast file in there. I have expansions ,which added tv stations , that came out since the custom tv station that I downloaded , so I just renamed the file that goes into config as broadcast 2, no problems. I've put avi. files into most of the networks, not just the custom one ,  and also into  the commercials. I've read that they are supposed to be a 15 frame rate and 128x128 , but your question piqued my curiosity so I checked the details, under properties on a few of my flicks. The rates varied from 14-22 and dimensions were all over the place. Didn't see a single 128x128 , most were much larger. Maybe 10% of my video clips don't occupy the full screen. They take up about 70% of the area of it in a rectangular shape, but still watchable.

There are a bunch of free programs to convert almost any video type to .avi. There is also a cool program , also free, that lets you dl youtube videos, which you can then convert. So lots of video options are out there. One more thing, I'm not positive, however there seems to be a time limit on the videos. I think that no matter there length they will only show for about a minute and a half to maybe two minutes max.

Sorry for the rather convoluted and incomplete explanation, but if you have any more questions that I can possibly help with , ask away or send a pm. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten help with my game/questions from fellow simmers. Gotta pay it forward if I can! Cheesy
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »

So wait, *is confused* am I supposed to edit some configuration thing to make the commercial show up..? Or should I try replacing one of the existing commercials? Sorry, I am terrible ^^;

mookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:22 pm »

I just tested something after reading your post. I have another hood (separate The Sims 2 folder) that doesn't have the custom tv station installed. I just followed the same path that you used C>  Users> your name>My documents>EA games> The Sims 2> Movies>Broadcast>Commercials (also Sports , just to test channels). I put 6 avi. files in each commercials and sports. I saw my videos on the sports station and also saw them on the Sims Broadcasting Network , so both the commercial destination and the sports one worked.

Before I messed with those, I noticed that the commercials and sports and other folders are empty , so I don't know where the game stores/reads that from. It's possible that , if you just put one commercial in there, that the game just hadn't gotten around to playing it yet. That's why I put six avi's in each sports and commercials, faster test. I don't know that it would matter but I have all EP's and play on M and G off the Fun with Pets pack.

I didn't check all the specs on my vids , but I know one that played fine and occupied the full screen, had a frame rate of 29 and a frame width and height of 320 x 240. Just right click on the vid , hit properties then details to see that info. Ask away if you need more help and good luck!
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »

I put the file in the documents folder, and it works now! Now my sims can have custom commercials~
Thanks for all your help!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: