Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 05:15:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: my sims are frozen! HELP PLEASE?  (Read 2687 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
my sis is awsome

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »

when i start my game i go to a house and it NEVER fully gets to the house, and If it does my sims just stand there frozen like statues!!
it just recently started doing this, i  didnt download stuff from the STORE! and it never did this before.
can you please help me??

i miss playing my game! Hug2

you\\\'ll never know, if you don\\\'t try
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:50:14 pm »

I am not as adept in solving Sim problems as others, but I do have some questions:

1. Have you downloaded any hack, mod or item from any site lately? Not just the Store ... any site. I have found that at least 80% of any computer issues I have had concerned a piece of custom content that gave my game a severe case of indigestion. Have you tried to remove your Downloads folder and run the game vanilla? Does the same thing happen?

If it doesn't, that's good news ...and bad news. The good news is that usually, you can find which piece of CC is causing problems with a lot of trial and error, and you can probably stick at Step One of this long post. The bad news is that you have to FIND the little troublemaker ... not easy if you have a large Downloads folder with thousands of files! But many of us have been in your shoes. I have many, many times. Smiley

If you've never run the game vanilla like that before, do not forget to back up your Downloads folder, just in case something happens. Actually, backing up your entire game and putting a backup folder outside of your EA Games one is a smart idea. If space is a problem, back up to a CD. Never, ever test without making a backup file first, just in case something happens while you're testing the game.  And never, never save the game when you're trying to test the game in "vanilla" mode, unless you want everything to stay vanilla. Right now, you're just trying to determine if a mod or item is causing a problem. Go into the house, wait several minutes, see if the same thing happens, get out.

2. Is this for all houses in all neighborhoods, one house in one neighborhood, or just one neighborhood? If it just involves one or a few households, did you put any new content in there recently? I had a case of certain households crashing like mad, and could not figure out why. It took me days to figure it out, since I had not added any new content in weeks.  It turned out that I had a particular piece of content in a game didn't cause problems ... unless I put a certain hacked item in the same household. The two did not play nice together.

If it doesn't look like a Custom Content problem:

3. What sort of system do you have running your game? What kind of video card, how long have you had this card, what kind of computer do you have, how much RAM do you have, how much free space ... etc.?

4. How long have you been playing Sims 2? Are you a new player, or have you played for some time? If you have played for several weeks, months, years with no issues, did you do ANYTHING to your computer lately that could in any way be related to this? If all your Sims are acting strange, have you updated your video card drivers?

Someone else more knowledgeable will be able to better assist you, I'm sure. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:12:25 pm by gazania » Logged
my sis is awsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:59:28 pm »

thank you very much

but how do you back up your files or your game?

you\\\'ll never know, if you don\\\'t try
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »

What to back up.

How to back up: select the folders you want to back up, copy (ctrl+C) them from their original location and then paste (ctrl+V) them somewhere else.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:12 pm »

Are you ready to go? Everything backed up just in case?

Now the fun part begins. Remove your Downloads folder. Cut ... paste. Put it somewhere else on your desktop ... just not in the EA Games folder. Run the game. Don't worry ... unless there is something really messed-up with your game, it will run just fine without the folder.

Go into a few households and play for several minutes. I find it's not a good idea to play for just a minute or two. A few minutes is better. In the rare instance that a house or Sim is corrupted, removing the CC might just delay a crash ... not prevent it. At least that has been my experience.

Are your Sims doing just fine? Can you get into the houses, and do your pixel dollies move around with no problem? Then it is almost certain that you have a custom content problem. Get out of the game. Don't save anything.

The most well-known way to go about isolating the problem file is called the 50/50 method. Put the first half of your Downloads back into your game. You can simply make a new folder in the game, label it "Downloads", and copy and paste the first half from the "real" folder on your desktop. I do that.

Go back to your game, enter the houses again, watch your Sims. Still fine? Great! The bad file isn't in there. Take the second half and try the same thing.

If, however, your game is acting up again, the problem is in the first half of your folder. You will now have to remove half of that section temporarily (and I think this shows why backing up your Downloads is a very, very good idea ... it's very easy to delete files by accident!) Try it again. OK? Great. Those files are fine. Not OK. Don't go any further. The problem file is in that first section.

Keep taking sections, testing them, moving on. Never save the game at any point. If you are doing this correctly, you should be able to isolate the problem file or files eventually. Usually, the problem involves a hack or mod, but not always. Don't presume it's a hack or mod right away. Twice, I found that a wall caused problems in my game. That is very rare, but things like that do happen.

A "bad" piece of content, by the way, may not necessarily be "bad" for others. Perhaps the content involved an EP you don't have. Perhaps the creator didn't realize that the content needed Free Time, for instance, or you didn't read the description correctly. (I've done that. Smiley ) Perhaps the game had a conflicting item that the creator wasn't aware would cause problems. Give the item a quick "Google", staying away from unfamiliar Sims 2 sites. (Mod: Is it OK to specify certain sites?) Often, others have had the same problem. If you don't find any info about this mod or hack, and want to be nice, you can PM or e-mail the creator and mention the problem, if the creator is available. Be polite. Please be polite.  Give some of your specs (what EPs you have, your basic system requirements, etc.). I find that if you don't act like a jerk, most creators actually want to know if their item is causing problems.

However ...

If you are still having problems, then a few things could be possible. In certain cases, your characters or lot could be glitched. Sometimes, even with your best efforts, it happens. Others might have better advice than I here, but I find that the best thing to do is to move everyone out and see if they do OK on a new lot. If they do fine there, it's the house. Get rid of it if you've created it. If it's a Maxis house with graves or urns, I would probably just keep the house there and not play it anymore.

If it's a glitched Sim, you might want to try to find which one is glitched, if possible. If adults, move certain members out. If a teen, try to move him or her to a university, if you have that EP. Some glitches actually disappear once you age a Sim. Many don't, though. Then it's time to eliminate that Sim. Never, never, never put the Sim in the Sim Bin and delete it. That can cause problems in your game, and these problems might not surface for months ... even years, as in my case with my Pleasantview. Kill your Sim off. Cowplants work nicely, for instance. Smiley

If all houses or all Sims have this problem. though, it's not the house or Sim. You have other problems with which more qualified people here can assist you.

Personally, I found that most Sims glitches outside of hardware issues (video cards, for instance) involved content. About 5% of my issues involved a glitched Sim or lot.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:50:40 am by gazania » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: