Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 01:01:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to Delete?  (Read 3823 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
MzDyme

Fierce is not just a word,it's a way of living

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:38:26 am »

Hey all Cheesy

Well let me get straight to my problem..Okay I was going thru my downloads folder today and notice alot of files with this at the end with package.package.package huh So I'm wondering.. Is it safe to delete the extra package or leave it?  I don't want to mess up something and take a chance of it not working properly.Thanks in advance you can help =)

★Los Sims 2 para siempre(The sims2 forever!!)★

Signature images may not exceed 250 x 50
Visit Simsurbania.com for more of my creations
XPTL297

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:52:20 am »

Yes, you may delete all the extentions .package.package because it means that you extracted sims or sims objects using the sims installer. They are not necessary. If Windows gives you a warning such as "if you change the name, the file can be unreadable", just ignore it and proceed.
Loonie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:15:35 am »

huh on the same note, I have a lot of "temp" files which, when I sort the downloads  file according to name, always appear next to a file which has the Clean installer picture-logo next to them, but which have the same name. What are those files, are they essential? (SIMS2TMP.Files versus Package.File)
I have a massive Downloads folder and don't want to have stuff in there which just takes up space  rolleyes
Thank you for help.
MzDyme

Fierce is not just a word,it's a way of living

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:12:58 am »

Yes, you may delete all the extentions .package.package because it means that you extracted sims or sims objects using the sims installer. They are not necessary. If Windows gives you a warning such as "if you change the name, the file can be unreadable", just ignore it and proceed.

Thank You so much,appreciate your help Grin

★Los Sims 2 para siempre(The sims2 forever!!)★

Signature images may not exceed 250 x 50
Visit Simsurbania.com for more of my creations
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:19:44 am »

on the same note, I have a lot of "temp" files which, when I sort the downloads  file according to name, always appear next to a file which has the Clean installer picture-logo next to them, but which have the same name. What are those files, are they essential? (SIMS2TMP.Files versus Package.File)
I have a massive Downloads folder and don't want to have stuff in there which just takes up space  rolleyes
Thank you for help.

You can safely delete those files. They're just leftover files from when you installed a house or sim into your game.

XPTL297

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:41:57 am »

If I'm not totally right, someone please correct me, but the only files that TS2 can read are .package and if you identified it in Windows (like you do automatically when you install Simpe), the extension won't even appear visibly. Anything that doesn't have the extension .package, is only stuffing your downloads (pics that are supplied inside the compressed .rar or .zip; readme files and others). The other good measure is to use the compressorizer to compress the files inside the downloads folder. Besides reducing enormously the size, it also updates all compressed files to the date of compression. It will be helpful when you install something else after compression that causes a problem. It is very easy to find it again when searching by date. Remember to compress only when you are not having any trouble. It is not necessary to install sims directly in the downloads folder if you are not very sure of what they contain. The clean installer gives you the option to install the files wherever you want, even in a separated drive. If you get files with very strange and unlogical names, open it in Simpe first and try to see what it is. If it is a special custom content that is very doubtful, prefer to go to the site page that contains this cc and read again what it is doing specifically. Do not include things in your downloads folder that you have no clue of what is it for crap.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:50:36 am »

.package files will mainly be unreadable to all programs except SimPE, other .package editors/readers, and the game itself. If you have SimPE installed, the computer will usually recognize the files as .package files, and associates them with SimPE, giving them the proper icon.

.package.package.package.package.package files usually happens when installing a lot or a sim with items that already has been installed a few times. It's a bug with the Clean Installer that was fixed in the newest version (1.6).
They usually show up in the game, but might or might not be buggy.

My computer skips all extensions in file names, so whenever I find .package.package.package files, I just delete all the extensions, and the main one will be left. If your computer shows extensions, just delete all except one line (.package).

It's mostly safe to change filenames, as very few CC-files needs the original filename. As long as you don't delete the main extension, it's no danger. I do it all the time, especially on my own files, and my computer can still read them.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: