Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 03:20:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow, anyone?  (Read 10145 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »

Here we have had two snow flurries in the past few days. This morning, and two days ago.
It is insane because it is only September!
But none of the snow has stuck to the ground, luckily.

I live in Northern Colorado, if you were wondering.
What about you guys? Does anyone else have snow yet?

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:07:11 pm »

Not yet, but I doubt it will be long. Last year I think it started already in October, and lasted throughout most of April (longest winter I can remember - there has been years where winter barely showed up, maybe some snow after Christmas and full winter through January and February, but it seems a while ago now). Spring didn't show up until the end of May, and we've had some days of summer, but no record-breaking temperatures or anything. I'd say it's been a warm spring but not much more. Now it seems autumn has turned up for full (summer has often lasted through September, sometimes even far into October), and going by the temperatures I think winter isn't far away. I'm already considering firing up my heater (which I usually don't do until November or thereabout)...

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »

I see.
We don't usually get it until late October or early November, but it has been really cold lately. (Really cold being below 70'  Cheesy)
But it usually starts to warm up around March here. Latest snow we've had, I think, was the middle of March.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »

Leaves are already falling off the trees around here. I think it started around the end of August... Which must be a record, as the leaves weren't up until the end of May.

It's the first year I've had to use spike thingies on my shoes out of fear for breaking any bones... Granted, I do live uphill so it's straight downwards when I go anywhere at all, but still - the amount of ice, and the time it stayed put... Has to be a new record! I moved into my apartment in December, and my dad's car - which rarely ever has troubles getting up anywhere - took over an hour to get uphill, most of the time spent getting chains on the wheels. When we finally got up, we had to trudge through at least a meter of snow with all my stuff (and that was mostly the snow that had fallen that same day. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to winter...

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »

Ah, that sucks.
We don't usually get that much snow. Denver, however, got a good nine feet (three meters) at the skii resorts, and four feet everywhere else.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »

I used to hope for a "white Christmas" every December when I was a kid. The wish was obviously delayed to whomever heard it (postal services has got nothing on that!), because it wasn't granted until I was old enough to start hating the white stuff...
It's alright when you're not supposed to get out for some days, and it is pretty during the holiday - but I'd be happy if it came the 23rd of  December and disappeared entirely the 1st of January. If I never again had to experience sludgy or icy roads again, I couldn't be happier (I don't own a car, but if you've ever come dripping wet to school with sludge all over your pants, you see why. Certain drivers have no respect for those who choose to walk, whether it's sludgy or rain is pouring down).

My site:

Ms Simmer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:14 pm »

angry omg please don't mention snow I am so dreading it to come I am on the east coast and Dec/Jan/Feb and part of Mar is the worst time for me be cause of the snow help take me away Cry
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »

@Raven yeah, my same for me. xD
My nephew still wishes for snow every Christmas, and his dad tells him "Don't do that, you'll be sorry in the end."
And last year we got a ton of snow then, and everyone said it was his fault for wishing so much.  Cheesy

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »

None of you would have lasted thirty-odd years ago when we got a few freak blizzards when I was a kid. I live in the mid-western part of the U.S. and we seem to see it all and while it's new to y'all, it's old hat to me. Getting old ain't pretty but it sure in the hell beats the alternative. Of course, I do have an advantage over you, I'm seeing this through the eyes of a seven-year-old autistic kid to whom everything is a fresh miracle, so I get to experience again the cool sound of fresh snow squeaky against my snow boots, flakes melting on my nose and the crunch of the leaves under my feet. It's like every day things are created new and interesting just for his benefit and that's how he reacts, with wonder and innocence. God, I hope he never loses that even as he does progress because it's just so beautiful to see it shining out of his eyes as he watches and experiences it all.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:51:21 pm »

I've had my share of snowstorms... I remember a quite bad winter when I was still in elementary. The teachers sent us out even if it was raging like mad, so the shelter building in the school yard was filled to the brim... I'm pretty sure it was somewhere below minus 10 (celsius, that is).

There's no such thing as "snow days = day off" around here. The furthest the schools stretches themselves is snow days as in "bring-tobboggan/skiis/skates-to-school-days". Usually they choose really bad days - either the day after a rainfall, or the same day there's a rainfall. Or days it's too cold for anything, and the snow is so hard it's more like ice.
I can barely stand upright on skis, whether it's flat or goes downwards, and I'm even worse on skates (be it winter-skating or rollerskating). And the others always looked funny at me when I brought warm juice instead of cocoa (I gave up telling everyone I hate cocoa). So guess who was the single happy kid those few times the "snow days" were cancelled...

My site:

soulofthesea
Composer/Sound Engineer in Training

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »

Lucky. Snow is pretty much a rarity down here in southeast Texas. In all honesty, I doubt we'll be getting any cold weather this year because of the damn drought.

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:34:15 pm »

Perfect all year climate for me would be 15-20 degrees celsius, sunny (but not too warm) or cloudy (but not rain) most of the time, and once in a while some rain so that nothing would dry out (and so I had a perfect excuse for staying indoors). A shame I've only seen very few of those days lately. Either it rains nearly every day, or it's too cold or too warm, or "T-shirt versus raincoat" days where it seems the weather won't decide until sometime in the middle of the day.

My site:

Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:39 pm »

I prefer it to be 70 degrees farenheit (20-25 celsius) and cloudy~
I do like rain, but I don't like the humidity that comes with it, because it makes my hair terribly frizzy.  tongue

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 05:59:04 pm »

I hear you on the hair frizzy/curly mess. LOL.

I can spend half an hour or more every morning making my hair straight, get to work and ask myself why I even bothered. We get a lot of wind and rain here and it's wet even when it's sunny.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 06:00:31 pm »

Ha, same for me.
I've gotten to where I just put my hair back in a ponytail because I just know that it'll look terrible by the time I go anywhere. Lol.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: