Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 06:04:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't film ingame due to missing codec? :Solved:  (Read 4433 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:27:47 am »

Hello, all.
I have been trying to film a video in sims 2, and I normally film in 'Medium' quality. Well, starting more recently, when I try setting my video in low, medium, or high, it pops up with a message that says "Cannot compress video because of missing codec, video quality has been set to uncompressed. View the readme.txt file to see how to install specific codec. Warning: Filming in uncompressed can cause slow gameplay, and is intended for high performance machines." or something like that.
Where would I locate said readme file, and what, exactly is this missing codec?
How do I fix this?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:54:55 pm by Dullahan » Logged

ghostwrytr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:29 pm »

as stated on about.c*m
"Codec" is a technical name for "compression/decompression". It also stands for "compressor/decompressor" and "code/decode". All of these variations mean the same thing: a codec is a computer program that both shrinks large movie files, and makes them playable on your computer. Codec programs are required for your media player to play your downloaded music and movies.

google is your friend!
Jemcrystal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »

vp6vfw.dll is the missing codec but it's a piece of crap and makes the vids blurry even after vid modding - i have yet to discover a solution to this problem.  Ghost, we know what a codec is, we are looking for the specific one that runs with Sims 2 game (thus we post here).
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

You could use an external program like Fraps to film instead of the in game video function. You'll get better quality videos. It runs in the background and you can either use the default hotkey to start recording or assign one yourself (just make sure it's not a key being used by the game already).

Also, Jemcrystal, ghostwryter was simply trying to be helpful. You might know what a codec is, but it doesn't mean everyone else does. Since this is Dullahan's thread, and since you know what codec is and you are looking for the specific one, there really is no "we". Don't assume what you know and want is what the thread starter knows and wants. In situations like this it's better to simply say something like, "Thank you for the feedback, but I think Dullahan is looking for the specific missing codec needed to work with Sims 2 and not the definition of codec".

The name of the missing codec is helpful, though, so thank you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:26:53 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

I ended up using a screen recorder for most videos,
But after wiping my computer a few months back and reinstalling the games, the codec is back, so.

Thank you guys for your help, and all. : D
Still not sure why it was missing, but it is back now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:09:31 pm by Dullahan » Logged

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:29:07 pm »

Oh and since old thread is old and, therefore, a zombie, and because Dullahan has declared this solved, I am going to lock it up (thereby doing the forum equivalent of shooting the zombie in the head).

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: