Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 05:35:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing memory packages?  (Read 14417 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
NikNax

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

I have a couple of custom objects with accompanying memory packages (ie. Sims gain specific memories from interaction with the objects).

What I'd like to know is if the text that forms these memories can be edited in any way; I would assume SimPE would be the tool to use if it is possible at all.

The only reason for doing this is to correct one or two errors of syntax and grammar that have been bugging me for ages (we're an anal bunch, we Simmers!).

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:16:49 pm »

I will use Jasana_BugBreeder's garden fairies for an example.
You would open the memory package in simPE (In my case, 'seenfairy.package') and go to 'Catalogue description' and there will be the dialogue. In this one, the dialogue is in string 0001.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/DanielBiroisCool/memory.png

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:43:19 pm »

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Dullahan. It looks even easier than I imagined and I'll give it a whirl with some back ups and see what happens. Thank again.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »

Let me know how it works out. :]

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »

Yes, it worked splendidly for what I originally wanted to change. Then I went a wee bit crazy with another object's memories, which appeared to be gender-linked but actually weren't, so my female Sims ended up with some rather odd turn of phrase to their memories and visa-versa. LOL!
But it was a lot of fun at the time. I suppose that the original Maxis memory packages reside somewhere and it would be fun to be able to edit a few of them, but I think it would be never-ending. There are just too many things that the Sims say and think that I find jarring.

Thanks again!
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:25:58 pm »

No problem, glad I could help!
I am pretty sure tham EAxis memories are located in objects.package (Computer > EA games > 'expansion' > TSdata > Res > Objects > Objects.package) and then look in the text file.

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:40 am »

Ah... that's interesting. I may go poking around in there when I have some time.

Just a thought, but would you know how to link a memories package to an object package? I downloaded an object with an accompanying memory package but the creator, for some reason, hasn't linked them. He said that if anyone wanted the memories to work they should mod the object package themselves but gave no guidance on how to go about it.
I'd point you to the dl but it's on the naughty sister site.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:37 pm »

From what I understand, you should go to the object file, click on 'Behavior functions' and there should be something called 'Add memory'.
Click that, and select the middle thing which is 'Create new object instance'. Use the memory that you are linking it to's instance(for example, Jasana_BugBreeder's fairy would be linked to the 'seen fairy' memory's instance) and make sure you reverse the instance like in the picture I have linked to.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/DanielBiroisCool/addmemory1.png

...Did that make sense?

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:36:55 pm »

Thanks again for your help. I'll try it when I get home to my game computer.

Anyway, I think it makes sense... if I know the memory package instance. So my next silly question is: where will I find the necessary instance?
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:03 pm »

Click on 'object data' on the memory package.
Down the left-hand side you will see a bunch of white boxes with numbers. There will be one next to an update/commit button, and that is the instance you want.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/DanielBiroisCool/addmemory2.png
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:04:20 pm by Dullahan » Logged

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »

Well, I've examined the object package and can find no 'add memory' option, nor does the memory package display as you describe, although I was able to find its instance from the resource view.
There are a few items under behaviour functions that look as though they may be significant but I'm totally in the dark really. When it comes to SimPE, I'm a dab hand at working with clothing and skin tone edits, but I've never had any dealings with objects that weren't so straight forward a chimp couldn't go wrong. This is about the most complex (looking) edit I've ever considered but already I feel I'm way in over my head.
However, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »

No problem, and sorry that I couldn't be of anymore help.

Although you should be able to add the behavior, or even copy it from another object and make the necessary changes.

Hope you figure things out~  Grin

NikNax

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:59 pm »

Actually, the object in question has been deleted from ISA at the creator's request but no reason given. I did get around to testing it in my game finally, without the memories, but it failed to work. It could be a hack conflict, but clearly the creator isn't happy with it yet. Maybe there'll be a stable working version in future.

Thanks again!
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »

Ah, I see.
Perhaps!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: