Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 07:55:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Titles  (Read 4047 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
jjsmith

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:07 am »

Hi all! I'm almost ready to start posting my first, ever, story and I was hoping for some title ideas from the general populace. I'll be doing a series starring the original EAxis characters as many have done before me and I was thinking of using either 'Pleasantview Tales' or 'As the PLumbbob Toggles'. I would have gone for a Brit-type soap title, but ours are kind of dull; 'Hollyoaks', 'East Enders' and 'Coronation Street'.

Anywho, let me know what you think. The first one up will be "Lilith's Story". That title is up for debate too.

Thanks! Grin

The AA needs you
don't take life too seriously. you never get out of it alive :tongue5:http://iratebermy.tripod.com/
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:13:52 am »

(since you're asking for assistance, "anectode assistance" is a more fitting place for our question, hence the move).

I think I've already seen at least two or three stories with the title 'Pleasantview Tales' or something very similar, so if you want your story to be remembered, I'd go for something more original. Soapy-titles are kind of in the dull category, too.

I really like 'As the Plumbbob Toggles', as that's creative and original by being a EAxis-match spin-off on some other known title (as the world turns?), and yet you get the feeling of what the story is about (the EAxis characters).

'Lilith's story' already comes in so many variations (as in [insert name here]'s story), so I think I'd try to go for something more creative if I were you. If you intend to write the character's stories in separate chapters, maybe try to find something spesific for that person, and make a title that mirrors this?  

If you write a story with a chapter solution, the simplest and easiest is of course to use "chapter 1", "chapter 2" and so forth. Not much exciting, but at least you don't have to wring your head at every single chapter...  

Matching titles is another variant - single-word titles, only song inspired, all titles starting with the same letter, and so on.

If you want more creative headings, one tip is to write the chapter first, and then find something in the text you can use as a title. That's often what I do when I'm at a loss. I rarely go the opposite way (heading first), but it has happened a few times. I also tend to modify song titles or known book titles, or perhaps twist a quote, or otherwise try to be creative with something already existing.  

As an example, here's a list of headings I've used for my story ('Little fire burning' - 'Little fire' is the literal meaning of one of the character's names, and 'burning' is kind of a metaphor for 'living', but has other meanings too). The chapter headings all give a little hint to what is to come, and yet I always try not to reveal too much. So many times I've read stories and the heading gives away everything at once. I sometimes try to twist the chapter so that the heading has another meaning than what you first might think.  

And for inspiration - check out Skellington's version, Fortune and Romance. I love the twist she has put on the entire story. Instead of just continuing or rewriting the established story, she has gone her own way.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:41:55 am by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
jjsmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »

Thanks for the assist. Didn't really think of going on a chapter-by-chapter basis. I was going to get the whole story done beginning to end before switching to other families. My game is playing up and crashes a lot lately, not sure why. I think I need to do a defrag or buy some new memory cards. I have to stick to one family for as long as it lets me, save like mad, and take as many pics as I can before it quits. Might do the chapter thing though. Haven't posted any of my writing lately cause it's all gone stale on me. This just might help freshen things up enough for me to go back on ffnet (fan fiction).

Nother reason I haven't posted anything; I babble. Can you tell?  tongue
Thanks again.

The AA needs you
don't take life too seriously. you never get out of it alive :tongue5:http://iratebermy.tripod.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: