Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 09:04:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't see my neighbourhood anymore  (Read 4191 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Daphne

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

I'm in dispair! Yesterday I went back to play as usual and Pleasantview was gone. No traces of it within the game. The folders are intact in Explorer, but I can't even open the N001 package in SimPE - it shows it as complete empty. It physically shrunk to 96 bytes.

I tried:
  • replacing the neighbourhood manager file with the one in the Progs folder
  • renaming the neighbourhoods folder, running the game to recreate the standard neighbourhoods, and exchanging the new N001 with my old folder
  • exchanging the old N001 package file and the new one

But nada. The only thing I had been doing before this is creating new outfits based on Warlokks meshes via body shop.

I have all EP's installed. My last backup is weeks old.

Please, don't tell me this is the end...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:35:16 pm by Daphne » Logged
Dullahan
Lady of the Hunt
Loot Looker

Ok, flex more ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »

You said you tried replacing neighborhoodmanager.package with the one in the programs folder, but have you tried replacing the N001 folder with the one found in
Computer > Programs > EA games > Sims 2 > TSData > Res > Userdata > Neighborhoods?

This will restore the neighborhood to its default settings.

Daphne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

Thanks Dullahan. But that file looks very much like the one generated by the game recently. It's dated 2004.

However, there are a series of recently updated 'suburb' packages in my N001 folder and a N001_Neighborhood.bkp file dated May 2011. I wonder if I could use those files to reconstruct the N001 package file with SimPE.

I hope somebody could share any experiences or knowledge about this.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:31 am »

It might be that your game somehow found it funny to reset itself to default settings without your knowledge. If you (as an example) move those folders out of the TS2 folder, the game will automatically reset itself to factory settings by replacing the files with the default files.

If I were you, I'd move the entire neighborhood folder to someplace else (in case it is salvageable later), and use a backup from weeks ago to restore it. Dullahan's method is how you restore it to factory settings.

If you have Windows 7, you might also want to check the orphan "EA Games" folder it creates in the Documents folder. 

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Daphne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:02:13 am »

Thanks, Theraven. I received confirmation from Mootilda that there is no reconstruction possible from individual files. You gave me a good idea with the orphan EA Games folder, but I can't find it anymore. I remember having seen it a couple of times in the same folder like the real one and asked myself how that could be! Unfortunately, I don't see it now and I have the hidden and system files setting to visible.
Daphne

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »

Ok. I used the backup file with the newer folders and it sort of works. The last memories are lost though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: