Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:20:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Crashing after install-Solved  (Read 7908 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
jadeskyee

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »

I played my game a few nights ago with no problems.  I started my game thursday night, when I loaded one of my lots the game crashed.  I assumed it was the lot so I deleted it and tried another lot, the game crashed again.  I figured it was probably my cc so I removed my downloads folder and it still crashed.  I then removed my sims 2 folder and let the game generate new files and the crashing continued.  At this point I figured the only option would be a fresh install.  I uninstalled all my games and reinstalled just double deluxe.  I started the game, I noticed the splash screen says the sims 2 and not double deluxe.  Once I load pleasantview, the top menu seems to be missing downtown.  I can load empty houses and I can get into cas but it crashes when I try to load a house with families.  I also noticed that I dont have any cars, its not greyed out, there is no cars icon in my buy catalog.  It seemed to have only installed the base game and celebrations stuff.  I have never had this problem, 3 days ago my game ran fine with no problems.  I thought it was the disc so I installed it on one of my laptops and it installed fine, so my computer is doing something wrong.  All of my sims 3 games are fine as well as my other games, its only sims 2 thats is doing this.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and the same thing keeps happening.  I have not made any changes to my computer.  My computer meets and exceeds the requirements, I don't know what to do.   I also noticed that the game is not generating any cache files in my documents folder either.  I always delete them before I start the game but it does seem right they are not generating for me to delete.   My only other and last resort is to reinstall windows but I don't want to do that since the only issue I'm having is with sims 2.  Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:46:49 pm by jadeskyee » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »

Try updating your graphic and sound drivers. Out of date drivers can cause game stuttering/crashes.

Edit: Also, please check your error logs and upload the most recent one as an attachment for one of us to look at. You'll find your error logs in Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs. It will start with Sims2Exception 2013.03.09 xx.xx.xx (the x's being the game's generated log code).

When you do this, please tell us what your system specs are (Operating system, RAM, CPU speed, graphic card, etc).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:26:01 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:27:06 pm »

I did that yesterday, all my drivers are  up to date.  All of my other games are running fine.  It seems the problem is the game is not installing properly, it looks like nightlife is not installing.  This does not make any sense, everything was working fine a few days ago.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

Did you read my edit regarding the error log?

jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »

My system specs.  Thank you for your help.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
16 gigs ram
AMD FX(tm)-6120 Six-Core Processor  3.5GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7450

* Sims2Exception 2013.03.09 16.16.56.rar (3.38 KB - downloaded 166 times.)
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:51:15 pm »

Thanks. First thing I noticed was the Exception Error. I was really dreading seeing that particular code, because it is one of the most annoying ambiguous Exception Error codes you can get. It's a memory access violation which can be caused when a program is trying to access memory it either can't or shouldn't. This can be caused by a number of things ranging from a bad install, faulty drivers, faulty memory or just conflicting programs on your computer.

Now, one thing I noticed in your error log is a mention of both AVG and Avast running on your computer. First, AVG (Adaware) can be a memory hog. I was having crashing issues with Sims 2 (also a memory hog...heck...EA games are memory hogs, period). In the end, it was AVG creating the problems for me, because once I got rid of it, Sims 2 worked like a charm again. However, in your case, it looks like you might be running two antivirus programs at once, which is a problem in itself. Antivirus programs aren't made to play nice with one another, so it's a good idea to choose one or the other.

You can also eliminate (or diagnose) the problem of bad memory by running the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic tool. Go to Start>Control Panel and type "Memory" in the Search box. Click on "Diagnose your computers memory problems" and the diagnostics tool will open. You have the option to restart now and check your system memory or checking your memory the next time you restart your computer. Choose either one and the diagnostic will run when you start your computer next. It could take a few minutes, so don't panic if your computer takes a while to start.

I'll probably have a few other things I can suggest as I think of them, but this a good start for you, for now. Smiley I just have to remember everything I know about this. LOL. It happens a lot. I'll type out a help response and then ten minutes later go "Oh, yeah! They can try x!"

jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

Hi, thank you.  I did a memory test and the results said no problems found.  I removed ad aware and uninstalled double deluxe.  I restarted the computer and reinstalled and its still doing the same thing.  I bought this computer brand new in july and all the games installed fine but I think I only had avast installed since its the only anti virus program I use.  I recently installed adaware but the game is still doing the same thing even after I uninstalled it.  Maybe malware bytes is a problem, I'll uninstall that one too.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:56:10 pm »

You're welcome, Jadeskyee. It's frustrating when it suddenly refuses to work and the error reports throw something so ambiguous at you.

It could be. It's OK to have both an anti virus and a malware program, because they vary enough from one another to not try to elbow each other out of the way, so to speak. You do need to have some protection on your computer, so I urge to use something. Whatever you do, I strongly advise you avoid Comodo like the plague. It forces you into sandbox box (which ends up blocking many necessary things for your games to run) and flags many perfectly valid programs as dangerous. I fell into the Comodo trap for a while and it was a nightmare. Avast is a good antivirus, so you should be good sticking with it.

One more thing you can try is increasing your virtual memory. Kaoz666 posted a good thread about this some time ago for XP, but the basic principles are still the same.

Accessing your Virtual Memory/Pagefile settings in Windows 7 is a bit different. What you'll want to do is click Start>Control Panel>System & Security>System. Then, from the left hand side menu, choose Advanced System settings. Click on the Settings button under "Performance", select the Advanced tab and, finally, click on the "Change..." button under "Virtual Memory". It wouldn't be a bad idea to set a restore point on your computer, just in case. It shouldn't case any issues, but it never hurts to do it whenever you make any major changes to your computer system files. Smiley

Oh, and I do have one further clarifying question. Did you patch each game after you installed it? If not, this could be an issue too. When you install an EP and you see the message telling you it's checking if the game files are up to date, it's not patching the game for you. You still have to do this and it's best if you do it as you go. For example: Base Game then patch, next EP, then patch and so on.

MTS has all the official patches here. Because you never know when things are going to explode on the internet, it's a good idea to back these up to a flash drive so you have them in case you ever need them.

jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »

So far I was only installing double deluxe, as far as I knew it was already patched.  I didn't install my other eps or sps since the game keeps crashing when I try enter a lot with a family.  I figured something went wrong with that installation and the rest of the games are going to be messed up too.

I uninstalled avast and maleware bytes just as a test and reinstalled again and its still doing the same thing.  I thought patching the game should fix this problem but what if for arguments sake, I only had double deluxe, I couldn't play the game anyway, it should be installing properly.  I did try at one point installing apartment life and mansions and gardens hoping that would fix this problem but its still doing the same thing.  I don't know what went wrong, everything was fine a few days ago.

What really baffles me is how I can enter cas and empty houses but not houses with families.  If I didn't have every sims 3 and its expansions and stuff packs and the complete gta collection, I'd just reinstall windows but I'd hate to go through all of that trouble and the problem still persists.  From what I can see, it appears that the crashing is coming from nightlife not being installed, but it should be installing since I have double deluxe.  I can't say if it always did this (although it is unlikely) when I installed all the games when I first bought this computer, I didn't test after each install, I just installed all the games, copied my backups and started the game, everything was fine.  I was hoping a windows update caused this but it didn't, last weekend I had the dreaded 800x600 only resolution issue.  Deleting the update fixed that.

I also noticed when I installed mansions and gardens and apartment life, the splash screen never changes, it continues to just say the sims 2.  I don't know if that means anything but it does not seem right.  Ok, I just installed sims pet stories, the game runs great, no problems or crashes.  So I can narrow it down to be the game itself and just the game.  I'm going to try and install the games and patch them like you suggested.  I have never patched them before, I always though when it said its checking it was patching, this has never been a problem before but at this point I'll try anything, thank you again for your suggestions, if I still can't get it to work, at least I have pets stories, I'll get my sims fix one way or another lol. Smiley

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:36:10 pm by jadeskyee » Logged
mookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »

This probably won't be of any help , but it's the only thing I can think of. I've only reinstalled once , but when I did I had to manually clear some registry entries. I did that prior to reinstalling the game , so I have no idea if not removing those entries would have caused problems with playing after the reinstall , if I hadn't deleted them. I used the guide here http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall and followed all steps in order. Sorry I don't have any other ideas at the moment. I'll try to follow this thread and If you are still having trouble and I can think of anything else I'll post again. Good luck!
jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 08:36:32 pm »

Hi mookie, thanks for your help.  I did that too, I've been doing everything I can think of since this started 2 nights ago.  I'm going to reinstall and patch, hopefully it works.  Thanks. Smiley
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:21 pm »

Try running the game without putting your backup game file in. It could be something in the original game backup is corrupted. It sucks, but it can happen (it happened to me once a few years back and I was just grateful I also had backups of the character files as well, so, if I couldn't have the families and the progress I made with them, I at least had the people).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:34:25 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »

I haven't put the backups in yet, I have 2 more stuff packs and then I'm going to start the game.  Usually when I have issues, its almost always cc related or a corrupted lot.  As soon as I test my game I'll update.  Thanks everyone.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »

Yes, most of the time it is cc relate or something like that, but once in a while something else decides to throw a hissy fit. I'm hoping it works! *crosses fingers*

jadeskyee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »

This just keeps getting better, its still crashing, it is not showing that any of my expansions are installed and it won't read my saved game.  I wonder if the windows update that messed up my resolution has something to do with this.  That will really suck, if thats the case then it will let me play the game but the graphics are going to be really terrible.  My computer is doing some updates, I'll restart and try the game again, if it is still doing the same thing then I'll do the update from last week.  That is the only other issue I can think of.

Edit: Ok, its not crashing, now its just freezing when I try to load any lot, I think to save my sanity at this point, I'm going to back up all my games and just restore the factory settings, hopefully that will work.

I decided to do a system restore, I reinstalled double deluxe, the game started, loaded perfectly and loaded my families.  I don't know what happened or why it did this but restoring worked.  Thank you everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:52:33 am by jadeskyee » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: