Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 02:44:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TSR has gone free  (Read 8005 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
marka

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:03 am »

Those of you who love this site will be thrilled to know -- TSR is now a totally free site. All content. No login or registration required to download.  Start gorging your download folders!

Copied from their front page --

The Sims Resource has evolved - Welcome to the NEW TSR!

We have gone through many changes in our 14 years of being the biggest Sims community website, and now we are going through one of our biggest and most challenging changes to date. For many years now, TSR has existed with a subscription model, allowing Sims players to pay for access to our premium content, created by our paid staff of Featured Artists who excel in Custom Content for The Sims games.

All premium downloads are now free

All 852,000+ creations are now entirely free with no downloading restrictions. You now have full, unlimited access to tens of thousands of premium Custom Content creations from our Featured Artists which were previously exclusive to subscribers.

A refreshing and efficient new site design

Advertising will be paying for the site in the future so we have redesigned the site to make better use of ad placements. We have also streamlined the design and backend process to make the site more efficient for the massive increase in traffic we are expecting as a result of changing to a "freemium" model.

No account or login required to download

You no longer need to share any details with the site to get access to our downloads. Just visit, browse and download with no login required (you will need to log in if you choose to post comments on creations, in guestbooks or on the forums).

VIP Member opportunity

Our Subscribers used to benefit from browsing the site without advertising, and having access to our powerful Download Basket feature giving a faster, cleaner and more efficient experience of gathering Custom Content for their game. Although all of the content is now free we appreciate that some people are happy to contribute to the cost of running this enormous resource in return for removing the ads which will pay for our existence. This opportunity is now available for the meager price of just $2.99 per month!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:19:03 am by marka » Logged
Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:24 am »

Well this certainly is an interesting turn of events. What I'm really curious about is what kind of reaction this will get from current subscribers and Featured Artists.

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:45:02 am »

They've changed their download system, so now it's plain impossible to download. I tried a few items, but I either got an error, or the download never popped up.

Was it so incredible hard to keep their original downloading system? You know, the one that already worked? The one-click system, instead of clicking on the download button to go to another page and then click on a new button, and wait until absolutely nothing happens on the "thanks for downloading" page? On top of that, the site throws errors or times out all the time.

"Streamlined the design", my ar... *cough*
Making it more difficult to download so people will still be tempted to donate, I think we'll say. Doesn't help if the downloads are free, when they don't even want to work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:05:00 pm by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
marka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:05 pm »

The sys. is overloaded at this time and I will wait for a few days before I will start downloading.
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 04:55:16 am »

I've been pretty lucky the last couple days; I got most of what I wanted.  I actually had more trouble with pictures than with the actual content!

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

They're downloads maybe free money wise but are they free from other things that that TSR has been known to throw in?

I.E., trackers and such--honest question not trying to start a debate.

Sims by Dasi:

Xoenma

Self-sim fuuuuuun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »

Well, it's about hot-dog digitty time.
It probably wont matter too much to veteran players, as we rarely (or at least i rarely) frequent tsr anymore. But it's still cool, nonetheless.
baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:09:01 am »

I have just recently began to play the game again. I noticed that TSR was free about 3 or 4 days ago. I have to admit, my first question was why....what happened to make this change?
It's long overdue, but still who or what made them do that?

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:13:40 am »

Possibly not making enough money to cover extra expenses incurred by the subscription system.  Not talking about the site as a whole, just the extra costs for subscriptions.

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: