Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 12:43:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saved sims game sims2  (Read 2918 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
elaine7717

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:38:39 pm »

I have a computer that appears to be dying.  The sims2 ran just fine last time I tried it. Bottom line I will be replacing my computer sometime in the future. I have a lot sim families I would rather not lose. Wondering if I after I have reinstalled the games on my new computer is possible to be able to save the old game and transfer it. I know I would have to use the downloads. If it is possible How would I go about saving the old game.Thanks very much everyone huh
HobbesED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:48 am »

Yes, it is possible. I've changed computers at least three times over the years and still have my original circa 2005 neighborhood playable on my newest computer. I haven't gone to Win 10 yet though. I'm still using Win 7. I don't know if that makes a difference.

On your old computer, you will need to save the entire "The Sims 2" folder (or "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" folder if you are running it) which is found under My Documents/EA Games. Eventually you will replace the new game's folder with this one.

Once you install the new game (and have run a quick test to verify that the game works), move that new computer's "The Sims 2" folder someplace for safe keeping. (So you can put it back again without having to do a complete reinstall should this not work the way you expect. It won't have much in it since it is a brand new install.) Then copy the saved folder from the old computer to where that new folder had been and try the game again. It "should" work. If it doesn't, you can swap the folders back and have the new folder with the new game once again.

If the installed EPs/SPs don't match between the old and new computers, then this most likely will not work.

Good luck!

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:31:28 am »

You can use an USB stick, an external harddrive or any sort of transfer method with enough space to do a backup of the folder.

If you're unsure how big the folder is, right-click the folder and choose "properties". You'll see the size there. It can be nice to know how much available space you need.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: