Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:48:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I place the files I just downloaded?  (Read 6190 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:44:12 am »

The answer is different for Mac users than for PC users.

Yes you have a Downloads folder, but because the Mac version allows
you to place the EAGames user folder just about anywhere, there is not
a 100% one-size-fits-all answer.

I will assume you did the sensible thing and used your Home folder as
the location.  That being given as the working assumption, your Downloads
folder is located here:

Home\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

I expect if this is wrong Macboy17, Rocco182, or AxelVal will correct me.

The files you download will be in RAR or ZIP format usually,
some people make Sims2Packs or the very rare Sims2Skin format; very rarely
you may find 7z and other formats.  But as most are RAR or ZIP, you
can use Stuffit to extract the files.  Every so often you will find someone has
posted just a package file, these you can just copy to the Downloads folder
without any attention.

FYI: see this thread for how to download RAR files with Safari

After you extract the files, you should have files with a name like this

some name.package

These you move to the Downloads folder.  You can delete the RAR or ZIP,
but I personally prefer to save these files in a back-up folder in case something
goes wrong and I later have to re-install the game.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
lordtyger
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »

Custom Content or CC is placed in The Sims 2/Downloads folder, but the Location is different depending on if you have the Disc version of The Sims 2 or The Sims 2:Super Collection.

Note: on Macs the  ~ means Users Home Folder. So in the directions you see the ~ character it means that the following Folder is contained in the User's Home Folder what ever it might be named.

For the Disc version it is easy to find and it is ~/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads

If the Downloads folder is not there then create a folder with the Name "Downloads" with out the quotes and then see Step 2 below.

If you have The Sims 2:Super Collection like I do then the proper folder is not easy to find, it is Located here: ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads

To get to the proper directory you press cmd+shift+G or go to the Finder->Go Menu->Go to Folder and then type this in to the box:

~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2

Next when you are in The Sims folder make a new folder with the name Downloads

Step 2

Next make a subfolder inside the Downloads folder and name it Mods for the Mods that you download and make a subfolder named Clothes for the clothes and the same for Hair, Vehicles, etc.

Keeping things inside of subfolders is a very good idea it makes it a lot easier to find something when you need to find it or test it, I also organize by Creator so for example /Downloads/Mods/InSIMenator.

Step 3
Extract the downloaded files and place them in the proper Directory, most go into your Downloads folder, but look at the directions if there is one, i.e. Terrains would go into the SC4Terrains folder.

Downloaded files are usually compressed and in .RAR or .ZIP or .7z formats and the best solution for Mac users is The Unarchiver which is free found on this page http://unarchiver.c3.cx

However Sims2Packs require you to use The Sims™ 2: Package Installer, which you need to download from Aspyr if you haven't already.

Note: The Clean Installer is PC only.

Note: Lots and Sims are in .Sims2Pack format and if unfortunately the Lot or the Sim was created with anything newer than Bon Voyage like Free Time or Apartment Life it will not work and you will get an error message.

After you extract the file, you should have a folder with files or a file with a name ending with .package, like:

sometimes_not_descriptive_name.package

These .package files you move into one of the subfolders in the Downloads folder depending on what kind it is clothes go into the clothes subfolder etc., if it is a folder move the entire into one the proper sub folders. If you don't have a sub folder for that type of item then make one first.

You can delete the .RAR, .Zip or .7z file, but it is wise to save these files in a back-up folder in case something goes wrong.

Me I backup my entire The Sims 2 folder onto a different drive, in case something goes wrong. Word to the Wise Make Backups!

Curiosity Killed the Cat, but Satisfaction Brought It Back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: