Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:33:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting off right, a "must-have" list for meshing  (Read 13945 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2006, 04:17:08 am »

A "must-have" list for meshing:

1. MilkShape 3D 1.8.1b - for USD $35.00/€25.00 you cannot beat it, and the tutorials
and support in the Sims 2 community are all aimed at this software. With the exception
of your image editor software, this may be the only purchase you need make to start
making custom content for The Sims 2.

2. Wes_h's UniMesh Plug-ins for MilkShape 3D.  if you have installed the latest version of Milkshape 3D (1.8.2), these are already included and need no update at the time of this edit (29 Feb 2008).

3. Demon432's AlignNormals and ExtendedManualEdit are invaluable assets
as well.

4. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 from Windows Update or from
.NET Framework Development Centre

5. NVIDIA DDS Utilities (Build 8.31.0225.1745 or later)

6. Quaxi's Sims 2 Package Editor (SimPE)

7. Numenor's Colour Enable Package (CEP)

8. LithUnwrap 1.3 for generating UV maps - other sources may be found by Google.
Do not be tricked into buying Ultimate Unwrap 3D.

9. A good, full-featured image editing programme:

-- a. Adobe Photoshop - USD $330-649 depending on version
-- b. Gnu Image Manipulation Programme (Gimp) FREE
-- c. Corel Paint Shop Pro (but only if you have no other choice) - USD $59-79 depending on version
-- d. Paint.net (I have never used ths software, but many claim it is useful) - FREE
-- e. PhotoFiltre V.6 (I have never used ths software, but it is rated very highly by magazines) - FREE
-- f. Pixia (I have never used ths software, but it is rated very highly by magazines) - FREE
-- g. imageN (I have never used ths software, but it is rated very highly by NoNags.com) - FREE

10. if you choose Adobe Photoshop or Corel Paint Shop Pro, then you might consider installing NVIDIA's Adobe Photoshop Normal Map and DDS Authoring Plug-ins for bump-map/normal-map authoring.

11. if you choose Gimp, then you might consider GIMP normalmap plugin for bump-map/normal-map authoring.

With these items you are now ready to enter the exciting and rewarding world of
creating custom content for The Sims 2... may God have mercy on your soul....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:07:27 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Sweetness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:32:35 pm »

Thank you for the post beosboxboy I was glad to find info on how to make a mesh. However I wanted to know if I am supposed to get all these programs and if not which ones would you definitely recommend for someone who doesn't have any of them. lol  I also wanted to know if these programs will work for creating hair styles and eye shapes. When you create a new skin tone or eye shape for example, does it get passed down to the next generations? If not is there a way to do that? Finally will they be useful for creating custom skins and objects? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I have been downloading for a while and I decided to get myself in the mix so to speak. lol  

It seems like fun and rewarding but can you answer me this....is it really time consuming in your opinion? Unfortunately college doesn't leave me much free time anymore so I might have to divide my free "Sim" time into chuncks. lol

Thanks in advance for any help it's appreciated.
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 06:05:12 am »

Sweetness,

I'll answer you last question first: it's REALLY time consuming!! lol
Of course it all depends on what you're tring to do and how ambitious you are, and you can work much faster with enough training, but then you're hopelessly addicted and there's always a new idea that you have to try...
Now, if you have a good understanding of the tutorials and stick to small edits, you can get rewarding results in a few hours.

You'll need all the programs listed above, except the CEP if you don't intend to make objects - but it's still needed to have custom objects by other creators correctly displayed in your game.
Of course, you need only one image editing program; the Gimp is a very good   one and it's constantly improving, you can also find former versions of Photoshop on Ebay for a reasonable price.

These tools will allow you to make any kind of custom content, given that you spend enough time learning the available tutorials.

A new skintone will get passed to other generations, as well as an eye shape or any facial feature modified in Bodyshop with the sliders; now, if by "eye shape" you mean makeup, then it won't, unless it's included in a skintone.
Sweetness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:05 pm »

Thank you for the help Marvine. I have obtained everything on the list and now it's time for me to start experimenting.lol Though it will probably take me a while but I am definitely going to try to make time for it. Thank you again.
jaccirocker
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 02:39:23 pm »

Beos, I thought I might add that Milkshape is now 35 bucks which is still great.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:07:57 am »

Thanks for the info on the price change Jacci! *smooch* changed the info in the post

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
jaccirocker
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »

You're welcome Luv, I have decided to try meshing again at least in my freetime. So this list comes in very handy.
sannysims40

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:21 pm »

Beosboxboy,

You GREAT BIG WONDERFUL MAN YOU!!!(hugs and kisses on the jaw...I sincerely hope your a man...lol..if not a great big handshake if you are female).  I have looked high and low for a tute on making custom items (especially weddings gowns with veils).  I recently got my computer updated and this information you've provided has been invaluable! Sorry to yell you all but I am SO GREATFUL for you and all of my fellow simmers for sharing your knowledge.  I too plan on getting into the wonderful world of creating my own things before I start back to school.  I am an artist that draw with pencil and paper, however, I am leaning more towards graphics so i figured this would be a good start.  Again, many, many thanks Beoboxboy and all you other wonderful simmers.  Hugs.  Smiley
HappyGoSimmer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 07:48:13 pm »

can u use 3dsmax instead of milkShape 3d?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: