Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:22:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Pixie Hush  (Read 74977 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
XPTL297

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2006, 11:06:07 am »

Hi Enayala. Depending of what kind of Paint Program you use for your textures (I use Photoshop), it is recommended to use Tone Curves to darken skintones instead of simple contrast. Using Tone Curves is much easier 'cause you can write down the input and output of the curves and so use the same figures to all the textures. In fact I was not lucky with any of the skintones with very much detail. They show up completely spotty in my comp.
The same way to darken (or lighten) specific areas of the texture it is much better to use "Burn" and "Dodge" tools. I work very much with layer and different degrees of transparence. The light incidence affects differently from system to system, so high amount of contrast can have disastrous effects.
When working with Tone Curves, it is far much easier to darken a skin that was made Light from start. I consider light tones much more difficult to work.
Enayla

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2006, 11:28:45 am »

Thank you for the help, XPTL297. The problem isn't so much the actual darkening of the skins... I've worked in Adobe Photoshop for some 9 years now, so the techniques are fine with me, how to do stuff in the program I know without a doubt.... The problem is that even when I paint a skin from scratch, the translation from my very smooth and pretty template and into the actual ingame look is very poor. That's what I know next to nothing about. It's as if the subtleties of the darker tones just won't show up as nicely as the pale ones do (which sucks, I think).

I never use brightness/contrast because it's a poor tool, and always use levels when I adjust my skins, and following that, often paint over and/or multiply, as well as very carefully change some of the colour values in hopes of fixing the problem. I only use burn and dodge very, very rarely because of the poor control you have over what they do to your colours and much prefer multiply.

It's not even the contrast, for me. The latest skin I'm working on, Pixie Earth, has much less contrast than any of the others and very soft transitions... it's the transitions that mess with me. I'm going to put it on hold until I can figure out a way to work it, because even a soft noise layer didn't do the trick on this one.

Here's what it looks like before bodyshop mauls it,

On closer inspection, I can't find any dark skins that have good transitions. I guess it's just how the game works, if there's a lot of details, you lose in transitions :/ I suppose I'm just too picky about these things.

Thank you very much for your help Smiley I'm just going to have to keep at it until I get it right.

[INDENT]www.furiae.com[/INDENT]
lilsweetcori

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2006, 11:45:29 am »

Lovely!!! I really like them!! Beautiful, thank you so much!

(as far as the dark skin, I cant help you with the problem obviously hee hee. That looks to be happening when it gets in game it seems and you also know that as well Smiley . But that looks beautiful as I see it there. But I also know as a "so so artist" in my drawing *not on computer, no way I can do that* I am a very picky person. Things need to be perfect. I can understand your need for that. But I can also tell you that others don't see it as you do either though. you only do because you made it Wink. And it is a game problem not something you are doing wrong I am sure. I've seen your work, I know you rock at this!!!)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:56:53 am by lilsweetcori » Logged
pacha

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2006, 02:58:07 pm »

gorgeous
xojennica09ox

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2006, 03:10:03 pm »

Thank you!
Dyonne

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 03:30:59 pm »

great

Love My Son and My Bankaccount
Autumn12001

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2006, 04:13:43 pm »

This is beautiful! Thank you

"Don't ever argue with an idiot...Thery'll drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience."  Anonymous.
DiamndPrincz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2006, 04:39:45 pm »

This skintone is verrryy nice. I loved the Rust version and this one is even better. We need more tones like this...more variety...and you are giving us just that. Thanks so much Enayla!
Apacherose

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2006, 04:45:42 pm »

Beautiful work Enayla!! Thank you so much for sharing.  I think these are some of your best work!

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2006, 08:07:58 pm »

Thank you, this is very beautiful. I prefer using tanned or better said glowing skintones for my sims but many are spotty as you said. I am an artist but not yet with computers so your talent is much appreciated.

LadyDanelle

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2006, 09:54:41 pm »

Always been a fan of your work Enayla- so excited to see what else you come up with for sims!

~She was a January girl; She never let on how insane it was~
ogdj1122

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 12:29:58 am »

Great skintone as always, Thank you
Slide470

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 01:35:24 am »

Well Done!!! Thankyou
ennaedwyn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 01:36:59 am »