Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:42:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How One Becomes a Guardian Angel  (Read 6609 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Cocojane

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2006, 09:35:04 pm »

This is my first stab at Sim Stories (and at posting at web forum in general). This story is inspired by old English classics such as Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, which hopefully explained the formality and the ‘oddness’ of the language. Since this is a love story, be prepared for some degree of  uh…‘mushiness’ :lol: . That said, constructive criticism is always welcome. So, without further ado, here is the first chapter of How One Becomes a Guardian Angel. Thanks for reading.

Coco

Chapter 1 Forget-Me-Not-Valley-------------------------------------------

Life in Forget-Me-Not Valley village had always been peaceful. Not even the Great War, could shake that lush and idyllic aura of this little village. The songs of the birds were always pleasant, the trees evergreen, and the air were faintly scented with Violets and Forget-Me-Nots.

Such was my impression of the village as I, and my friend Marcus Meadow, decided to live there after the Great War. I would have stayed in the Capital as I preferred the hustle and bustle of the big city but unfortunately, I, Lucas Whyte, was penniless and of no job prospect.

On the contrary to my situation, my friend Marcus Meadow, was a man with a bright future. Born to a wealthy family, Marcus seemed to have the best combinations of blessings. He was handsome, rich and had a pleasant disposition.

Marcus and I were both soldiers of His Majesty, fighting in the Great War. We formed camaraderie, a bond, even stronger than that of blood brothers. After the War ended and we were dismissed from His Majesty's service, Marcus found out of my financial situation and invited me to live with him until a better prospect could be found for me. Indeed, Marcus Meadow was a man with a generous heart. He would do anything for those he called friends. And by 'better prospect', I have designed in my mind as 'marriage into money'. You see, dear readers, as I lived in comfort at the Meadow residence, I have realized how much more enjoyable my life could be when I was surrounded by luxury, how I hungered for the kind of respect that money, a lot of money, inspired in people around you. Call me shallow, but I have decided that although money might not buy happiness, it could buy me respect and luxury.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:54:26 pm by Cocojane » Logged
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:43:38 pm »

Fortunately for me, there was another wealthy family in the village: The Merchant family. The Merchant Senior, Mr. Ethan Merchant, had accrued great wealth through his many banks in the Capital. The Merchant family was even richer than Marcus Meadow.

Even more fortunate, the Merchant's only daughter, Miss Kate Merchant, was very beautiful. Dear reader, you probably concluded that faced with such a pretty face, I ought to fall in love madly with Miss Merchant. Sadly, it was not so.

You see, the lovely Miss Merchant had a very moody disposition. Her tongue was sharp, and she often lashed out at her servants and family for no apparent reason, other than her dark moods. Nevertheless, I realized that marrying Kate Merchant would be my ticket to a comfortable life, and thus...

...I set my mind to court her.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:55:21 pm by Cocojane » Logged
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:51:58 pm »

I still remember the day when the Knightley arrived in the Village. It was a warm and sunny day, only a month after Marcus and I arrived. There was Mrs. Knightley, her daughter Megan Knightley, and Mrs. Knightley's dead sister's daughter, Emma Woodsworth. The Knightley moved into a small but charming cottage across the street from us. Mrs. Knightley was a widow, trying to make ends met on her modest widow pension.

Miss Megan Knigthley was probably the most beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes upon. She had large grey eyes and beautiful, pale skin. Her fair hair was carefully styled high upon her head to show off her graceful, swan-like neck.
Miss Knightley had one thing in her mind. Like me, she had set her mind on marrying money. As soon as she found out that I was as poor as she was, she decided that I was not worth to talk to and availed herself only to the two wealthy bachelors in town, Marcus Meadow and Arthur Merchant.

Mr Arthur Merchant, the older brother of Miss Merchant, showed a great pleasure in meeting such a beauty as Miss Knightley. Indeed, Arthur Merchant loved beautiful women. He loved them so much that he did not show a preference towards one woman and instead, he preferred to court them all.

And beautiful women everywhere loved Mr Merchant for he was incredibly handsome and wealthy. He was charming and oh, so witty, when he was required to be. There was a trail of broken hearts following Arthur Merchant wherever he went.
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:02:04 pm »

And let us not forget miss Emma Woodsworth, who lived with the Knightley. Her parents, Lady Knightley's sister and brother-in-law, were long dead and thus, being an orphan, she was penniless, and dependent on her relatives' charity. Nevertheless, her unfortunate situation did not seem to dampen her spirit. She was clever, amiable and of a happy disposition. Her manner was gentle and she treated everyone pleasantly. Indeed, I found her to be charming and intriguing. Miss Woodsworth and I became fast friends.

And so the Village life became livelier with the newcomers. We spent the evenings at each other's house. Our evenings were full with lively conversation and happy music.
oddball011

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 11:11:57 am »

i cant see any of the pictures Sad

LAX is whats up.
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:14:51 pm »

Oddball011,

What browser do you use? Can you try IE if you are not using it? I am just curious...

Coco
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:26:36 pm »

Few months went by...
Both Marcus and I (and Arthur Merchant) found ourselves to spend more and more of our time at the Knightley's.  As it was only a few months away from the Harvest Festival, Marcus suggested that we ought to have a Ball to celebrate the Harvest Festival. His suggestion was met with much excitement (especially from the ladies...).

Our evenings were now filled with planning for the Harvest Ball and practising our dance steps. On one such evening, I caught a look on Marcus' face as he danced with Miss Woodsworth. His gaze at Miss Woodsworth was so tender and affectionate. "Was that a look of a man in love?", I wondered.

And the expression upon Miss Woodsworth's face! Hers was equally happy and tender. "They are in love!", I thought, and at once I felt as if someone had kicked me swiftly in my stomach.  "Am I in love with Emma Woodsworth?", I wondered. "No, I am not!", I tried to convince myself. "I am not even going to entertain such a ridiculous idea", I repeatedly told myself. I tried to fill my thoughts with the thoughts of Miss Merchant, beautiful and wealthy Miss Merchant.

Marcus was not the only man who had set his eyes on Miss Woodsworth, as Arthur Merchant was not a kind of man who would be satisfied courting one woman at a time. I caught him pulling Miss Woodsworth close, too close in my opinion, to him during one dance and whispered something in her ears. Miss Woodsworth's face coloured for a brief moment. She pulled away a little and then I caught her said," Mr. Merchant, you must have mistaken me for my cousin Megan! Let me fetch her for you at once". She quickly extricated herself and walked away before Arthur could say a word. I smiled to myself, "Finally, a woman who does not succumb to Arthur's charm!".
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:33:40 pm »

"You seemed far away tonight, Mr Whyte. A simmoleon for your thought?", inquired Miss Woodsworth as we finally had our dance. "Oh, I do apologize Miss Woodsworth, if I seem distant. But it's nothing to worry about really. I do not want to ruin your pleasant evening".

"I am your good friend, am I not Mr. Whyte? How can I have a pleasant evening if I know that my friend has something in his mind that troubles him so? Troubles him so much that he could barely said two words to me through the whole evening?".
Dear Emma, how could I tell her that I couldn't stop thinking of her, no matter how hard I tried? How could I tell her that I look forward to my evenings for I know I will see her then? It was understandable that she fancied Marcus more, for he was much wealthier than me. He could provide her a kind of luxurious and leisurely life that I never could. And Marcus was my closest friend! I would not stand between him and his happiness. So I finally said," Maybe some other time Miss Woodsworth. Some other time..."

That evening as Marcus and I walked home from the Knightley's, he turned to me and asked, “Lucas, my good friend, you know I value your opinion more than anyone else's, so now be honest with me. What do you think of Miss Woodsworth?". My heart sank, "Did he...?". I finally said, "You know I think that she is a splendid girl. Why do you ask?. "Well, you see, I am in love with her", said Marcus. His eyes were bright. "I am going to ask her to marry me", he continued. Again, I felt that peculiar pain and sadness in my stomach. I ignored the sensation and put my hand on Marcus' shoulder. "I am very happy for you, my friend", I lied. "You and Miss Woodsworth make a great couple. So when do you plan to ask for her hand in marriage?". "At the Harvest Ball. Perfect setting, don't you agree?", answered Marcus with a boyish smile. "Tomorrow, I shall haste for the Capital to inform my family of my plan and purchase an engagement ring for Miss Woodsworth".
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:44:34 pm »

In the morning of the Harvest Ball, Marcus Meadow returned from his trip to the Capital. However, instead of his usual cheerful self, he had a grave look upon his face as he entered the house. "Lucas, I have something to tell you", he started. "My family has disowned me. They wanted me to marry a girl of their choice and I refused". "What? Have you told them what a wonderful girl, Miss Woodsworth is?", I asked. "Yes, but it does not matter to them. They did not like Miss Woodsworth because she is penniless. The bride of their choice comes from a very wealthy and powerful family. I told them that I would marry Miss Woodsworth no matter what, so they disowned me! They took away my inheritance and all my trust funds!".

"Everything?", I asked in disbelief. "Everything, save for this house. This is all I have", he answered. I was silent for a few minutes, not knowing what to say. I was baffled how Marcus was willing to sacrifice the life he had for a woman. I finally said, "What are you going to do now, Marcus?"

Marcus was deep in thoughts and then he slowly answered, "I will have to sell this house. I shall use the house profit to open a small shop here in the Village. I have to let the servants go, of course, but I shall manage", he cheered up considerably. "I will be fine. I will have to work very hard but I know that everything will be just fine". "And Miss Woodsworth, have you told her?", I asked. "Not yet. I shall tell her tonight at the Ball. And then I shall ask for her hand as I have planned.", Marcus said.
"And thus we shall see what Miss Woodsworth's true intention is. What she is really made of", I thought to myself.

Finally the Harvest Ball that everyone had been waiting for. I chatted with Miss Merchant while keeping an eye on Marcus and Miss Woodsworth.

Marcus pulled Miss Woodsworth aside, "There is something I would like to tell you". "What is it Mr. Meadow?" asked Emma. Marcus then recounted to her how he had refused his family's choice of bride, and as a consequence, they had taken all his assets and inheritance. Emma was shocked. Her heart fluttered. "Why would you do that Mr. Meadow? Why did you refuse your family's plan?", she asked.
Cocojane

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:49:38 pm »

"Because my heart belongs to you..."

"Emma, my love, I cannot promise you a luxurious life. I cannot promise you material wealth. But if you will have me, if you will marry me, I promised to do everything in my power to provide for you. I promised to always love you". "Always?", whispered Emma. "In this life and the next, I will love you", said Marcus.

"Then I shall be the luckiest girl alive...".

I remembered thinking, "I could not believe these two gave up a chance to a good life for the sake of love!". Ah, how little did I know then. I did not know that one day I would make even a greater sacrifice for love...
ladyrose

I build Simu-Houses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 12:25:43 pm »

to add to what oddball said....I cant see the pictures either. i use safari.
oddball011

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:02:35 pm »

i tried but i still cant see them Sad good thing ive got a good imagination because I luv ur story so much!!!

LAX is whats up.
hotrod50s

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 02:20:19 am »

i'm using ie and i can't get any of the pics either good story wish i could see the pics to make it better

i'm an insim addict
welcome back kathy and eric we missed you
Cathy

Call me Annie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 11:36:59 pm »

Great story, sadly, no pics......where are you hosting these pics, if you don't mind my asking......

I used to be Nyxie
Elven_Song

=3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 07:47:10 pm »

Darn it, still no pictures! I have no imagination.. really. It's almost impossible for me to read this story knowing there's pictures hidingin there! =(
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: