Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 03:28:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Photoshop Tutorials/General Photo Editing links and advice  (Read 97008 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
xoJessi

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »

Thanks a lot!!!

My Sims Journal/Photo Album Come see what my sims are up to!

Real Sims
Sims Oasis
Cinamun

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2007, 11:03:49 am »

I just learned how to fade also, and i'm checking out the polaroid borders tutorial now, I only know how to do the plain black borders for now.

Just a few tips i've learned through practice:

1).  If you're using the softening effect in photoshop (you know the one, layering with gaussian blur then overlay?) Instead of "overlay" which can sometimes make pics too blurry, try "soft light" which is right below "overlay" in the layers box.  For me, I often find thats a little more subtle than the overlay feature.   Also, try gaussian blur at 3.0 instead of 5.0

2).  Sharpening can be the life or death of your picture.  If you have photoshop, try smart sharpen and monkey around with the numbers until your picture looks clear and not too bright.  You have to be careful with the sharpen feature because depending on the colors in the picture, it can ruin everything.  Sometimes a picture may only need a little sharpening (a 10 as opposed to a 25).  If I already have great lighting in the pic, I rarely use anything over a 10 in smart sharpen.  If I have a darker picture, I use anywhere from 15 to 25, anything over that is too sharp.  GIMP users have the option to change how sharp too.  I use a combination of GIMP and PS with my pics.

Remember, dont overdo the gaussian blur, try "soft light" instead with your layers and see what happens.

Some examples:

With this picture, I used "sharpen" at about 17 anything over that would have ruined it.  17 was just enough to make that red "pop".

With this picture, I used a combination.  I used the gaussian blur/overlay, but then I sharpened it and changed the opacity.  I adjusted the hue/saturation and then added yet another layer and this time used gaussian blur/soft light.  Pulled up GIMP and used the "soft glow" filter, smart sharpened yet again, and wala!  To get the right effect I wanted, it took awhile, I didnt want it too dark and I wanted the red wall to show (gaussian blur/overlay made everything too dark).

Hey look i'm still an amateur, but these are some tips/tricks I learned specifically for headshots, I find my headshots are more awesome than my bodyshots LOL  

I would LOVE to know how Buffy and Essa get such great headshots though.. (looks over at buffy and essa) LOL

...enjoying the game.
flyingpigeon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2007, 10:40:59 pm »

Eee... reposting my tutorial from S2C here. Hope this helps somebody Smiley

--------------------------------------------

I decided to do a little tutorial... Alyce and Sisaly explained it briefly to me, so I do not take full credit for this. I just went more in depth and got pictures Cheesy This is if you have Photoshop elements (I have 4.0 but I don't think it matters)... I hope this helps Smiley

Alright, we have this picture. I like it, but I think it'd look better with the warming effect.

First, we'll duplicate the layer...

Then we gaussian blur the top layer...

Choose a setting for gaussian blur around 2-5 (the stronger the blur, the stronger the sheen/shine)...

Next, use soft filter on the layer that you just used gaussian blur on...

Next play with the opacity (this step isn't necessary)...

Alright, hope this helped! You can try to tone it down by saturating the picture. Remember to use, not abuse, because overly softened pictures don't look good at all :| And sorry for stretching the screen! I wanted the pictures to be easy to read what I'm doing... if it bugs anybody that much, I can take it down Smiley

~Bejeweled~

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2007, 11:37:12 am »

where's overlay in gimp??

Today is the tommorow you worried about yesterday
Eshe

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2007, 01:45:15 am »

How do you cut the picture out to look like the one above? I just got photoshop and I'm really confused on how to do it.

Prepare to dye.
charlotterose23

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2007, 12:09:58 pm »

Hey.. Well.. I noticed there was a 'Warming Effect' tutorial for photoshop and some people were having trouble because they had GIMP instead (like not knowing where things were), and I'm not an expert but I thought seeing as I know the answer, I could help you out.

So I made this little tutorial because I was bored.. and I hope it helps.

1) This is the picture I begun with. I wanted to make it look better so I used the following steps to help me...

2) Okay, so first I duplicated the layer and to do this you need to go to Layer > Duplicate Layer. Note: Once you have clicked on this, it will seem as if nothing has happened.

3) Then, I added a Gaussian Blur and to do this you need to go to Filters > Blur > Guassian Blur...

4) A box should then appear. Make sure the preview is selected so that you can see the changes you are making to your work. Then use the small up and down arrows to change the Blur Radius. I think it is best to use between 2-5. Once you have done, click OK. Note: The Blur Radius settings I used for my picture will most probably be different to the settings you need for your picture, thats why it is important to have the preview selected so you can see what is happening. Just play around with the settings until you are happy.

5) Your picture should then turn blurry. Now you need to pull up the Layers dialog. To do this go to File > Dialogs > Layers. The dialog should then appear, make sure the 'Background copy' is selected before moving on to the next step.

6) Then, you need to click on the drop down menu and select 'Overlay'.

7) And that is how you add a 'Warming Effect' to your picture using GIMP. This is the finished product:

Note: My picture was already quite bright to begin with and with the light background the hair merges in a bit. There are a few other steps you can take that can make it look a bit better, I will post them next!

You will need to Flatten the image before you can save it. To do this go to Image > Flatten Image
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:41:23 pm by charlotterose23 » Logged

1st Place ~ ANMM
2nd Place ~ RTS, Miss F.A.T
3rd Place ~ Wedding Nightmare, Makeover Remmington, DTS, X-Men Academy, Imaginary Friend
[/COLOR][/FONT]
charlotterose23

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2007, 12:31:26 pm »

Hey again... This is how I personally edit my pictures using GIMP. I think they turn out pretty well so for those who are having trouble with it, here is a little tutorial. Once again, I'll say I am not an expert, I'm just trying to help.

1) Okay, I had this picture that I had used the warming effect on. I now want to edit it to make it look even better.
First, I pulled up the Layers dialog (File > Dialogs > Layers). I then selected the 'Background' and not the 'Background copy'.

2) Then I wanted to adjust the Brightness and the Contrast. To do this you go to Layer > Colors > Brightness-Contrast... .

3) A box should then appear. Make sure the preview box is selected so that you can see what changes you are making to your work. Then use the up and down arrows to adjust the Brightness and Contrast. When you are happy, click OK. Note: The settings I used will most probably be different to the settings you will use for your image. Just play around until you are happy.

4) Next, I wanted to Sharpen my image. To do this you go to Filters > Enhance > Sharpen...

5) A box should then appear. Once again, make sure the preview box is selected so that you can see what changes you are making to your work. Then use the up and down arrows to adjust the Sharpness. When you are happy, click OK. Note: The settings I used will most probably be different to the settings you will use for your image. Just play around until you are happy.

6) This is what the picture looks like now. I think the Sharpening tool makes the Sims eyes look so much better.

7) Next, I added a Softglow effect. To do this you go to Filters > Artistic > Softglow... .

8 ) A box should then appear. Again, make sure the preview box is selected so that you can see what changes you are making to your work. Then use the up and down arrows to adjust the Glow radius, Brightness and Sharpness . When you are happy, click OK. Note: The settings I used will most probably be different to the settings you will use for your image. Just play around until you are happy.

9) That is basically all I do. But one last thing you must do is Flatten the image. To do this go to Image > Flatten Image.

10) Here is a picture of my finished product:

Remember: Save it!
[/SIZE]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:44:14 pm by charlotterose23 » Logged

1st Place ~ ANMM
3rd Place ~ Wedding Nightmare, Makeover Remmington, DTS, X-Men Academy, Imaginary Friend
[/COLOR][/FONT]
charlotterose23

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »

Hope they helped! xXx

1st Place ~ ANMM
[/COLOR][/FONT]
dnj121006

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2007, 01:15:35 pm »

This is going to hlep me sooo much

EDIT: Now look <3

* snapshot_739a955b_f39ab76d.jpg (47.54 KB, 600x450 - viewed 612 times.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:41:45 pm by dnj121006 » Logged

Live Life to the fullest because, there may never be a tomorrow.
dnj121006

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:19 pm »

albino for some reason it isnt working for me maybe iwill try  in hte morning

EDIT:nvm  It worked sorry
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 09:55:00 am by dnj121006 » Logged

trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:02 am »

Nice job djn121006, that pic looks great!  You catch on quick. I knew this thread could help ya!

dnj121006

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2007, 09:55:21 am »

Quote from: trl;812189
Nice job djn121006, that pic looks great!  You catch on quick. I knew this thread could help ya!

THANKS!! i appreciate that

charlotterose23

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2007, 04:50:03 pm »

Hey... I've got hooked on tutorials! This is something kinda cool that I thought might come in handy when doing contests. It allows you to use both colour and black and white in the same image.

Hope you like it!

1) Okay, so heres the image I want to use.

2) We then want to duplicate it. To do this you go to Layer > Duplicate Layer. Note: It will look as if nothing has happened.

3) Then, we need to pull up the Layers dialog. To do this you go to File > Dialogs > Layers

4) A box should then appear. You will need to select the Background copy and make sure it is visible by clicking on the eye symbol.

5) Now that the Background copy is selected, we want to turn it to black and white. To do this you go to Layer > Colors > Desaturate.

6) The image should now be in black and white. Now, in the Layer dialog you need to right click on the Background copy and select Add Layer Mask...

7) A box should then appear. Make sure the White (full capacity) is selected and then click OK.

8 ) Now make sure that the Background copy is selected and both of the layers are visible by clicking on the eye symbols.

9) Next, select the brush tool. Remember you can change the size and shape of your brush by double clicking on the button.

10) Now, when you use the brush tool on the black and white layer, the colours from the colour layer will show through. This can give quite a nice effect if you use it on a few small parts parts e.g. eyes or lips, or if you use it only on the background or main subject of the image like a sim or an object.
[/SIZE]

1st Place ~ ANMM
[/COLOR][/FONT]
ERAC

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2007, 08:42:06 pm »

People, I've got Photshop 7.0.1, is that the same as S2C?
Also, my layer popup has disappeared, can I get it back?

:happy8:I'm the awesome Kren in Dominus Noctis Lord of the Night!
Wish me luck!
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2007, 04:42:26 pm »

ERAC: Go to Windovs in the tool-bar, and check where it says "layer box" or something like that.

Photoshop 7 is an older version than CS2, but -most- of the things are the same.

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: