Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:43:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Photoshop Tutorials/General Photo Editing links and advice  (Read 95164 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
adalita

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:54 am »

I recently got asked about how to do this effect in paint.net

Okay now I got this pic. By using hula and more Hack and posing her on hip shot. then using tab I lined her up (takes a while to get it just right sometimes) then once I was happy I hit PrtScn (printscreen button on my keyboard)

I then go into Paint.net and use a new canvas. go to EDIT and choose paste it asks you do you want to expand you canvas make sure you do. and then I have my pic.

you can copy it and follow if you like....

I then have used the selection tool. the dotted square in the top left hand corner of the tools bar (sorry if it is a little easy but I explain EVERYTHING to make sure you get it) then use it to select just above her head and just around her body missing the pause lines.

Then I chose crop to selection in the above toolbar.

I then duplicate the layer by going to the top toolbar and selecting layers. then choose duplicate layers (CRTL+SHIFT+D) You now have 2 layers.

I then want to play with the top layer. We are going to go to effects and use the blur > gauissan Blur to a radius of 5.

We then go to layers on the top toolbar and go to layer properties (F4)
we then finf the drop down menu of MODE we choose overlay (this gives us a nice glow)

we then go back up to layers and choose merge layer down (CTRL+M) we now have one layer that is a good healthy glow I now do a few more things before I am finished.

This is almost the same as in Photoshop! You maybe able to follow a few tutorials yourself!

I now go to Adjustments and play with brightness and contrast. I usually just fiddle until it looks good.
I put mine at 40 and 25

Go to effects and go to photo and sharpen you pic (somewhere between 5 -10 is good)

Now if you are happy we are finished we just need to resize.

Go to the Image menu on the top toolbar and choose resize image. Make sure you follow contest rules usually 600 x 600 is the biggest size don't go under 400 if you can help it!

3rd place in Siblings-Love Or Hate Contest with Alyssa and Aimee Sacchi!
1st place in A Family Christmas with The Pearcy Family
Adalita's SIMS Come and check out my sims and their houses!
Check out my work in Living Sims Magazine HERE
xoJessi

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:12 am »

Does anyone know a simple way to create borders using PS CS2? Just basic borders, like black. Thanks!

My Sims Journal/Photo Album Come see what my sims are up to!

Real Sims
Sims Oasis
AlbinoBambi

A.k.a. Ilse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:24 am »

Well, for my sims pics I usually just use the line-tool.
You could also increase the canvas size just a bit, and fill the blank space with black.

Why can't life be like The Sims, where you can control someone with just one click?

xoJessi

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2008, 11:14:13 am »

Quote from: AlbinoBambi;1111974

You could also increase the canvas size just a bit, and fill the blank space with black.

Thanks!! I think I'll do this.

It sucks though that there isn't a border option like there is in gimp. :punch:

My Sims Journal/Photo Album Come see what my sims are up to!

Real Sims
Sims Oasis
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:22 am »

Well, in PS all you need to do is expand the canvas to however thick you want the border (I make it 6 pixels wide), and choose the colour of the background that you want. Hit okay, instant border - no need to fill in, it's already there Wink

But yeah, it does suck that there's no option for it ¬_¬ You can improvise though - another way of making a slightly nicer border is to apply an outer glow to the finished picture. To do that you'll need to look in "blending options" by double-clicking the layer.

No requests please
The Commodore

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:23 am »

This is a great thread! I've already learned a lot after looking at just a few pages. I thought I'd share a little something I did, if that's okay. ^_^

summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2008, 12:56:50 pm »

jessi what i would do is easier i think... i would add a new layer on top of the pic, use the rectangle lasso tool to select which part of the pic i want to BE SEEN, invert the selection and pour whatever color i want using paint bucket. maybe the canvass way is easier but that's how i do it LOL

the commodore that's a lovely picture. am glad this thread is helping you out.  it helped me loads when i was starting out... i'm still starting out LOL

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
Spongity

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:49 am »

The way I make borders (in photoshop) is I duplicate the layer, go to "Edit--> Stroke", select the width (I do 1 pixel) and color, and under "Location" select "Inside". I forget who taught me that, but was certainly helpful!

My Flickr-Updated 5/26
My Picture Thread-Updated 6/26
"Michael always says K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple Stupid. Great advice, hurts my feelings every time."-Dwight Schrute
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2008, 02:55:23 am »

^^ spongity i do that too. that's how i make like two-color border. the first border is how i usually make them and i just add a stroke and lower the opacity a bit. Smiley

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
adalita

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:37 am »

cool will try borders... and see how it goes!

3rd place in Siblings-Love Or Hate Contest with Alyssa and Aimee Sacchi!
1st place in A Family Christmas with The Pearcy Family
Adalita's SIMS Come and check out my sims and their houses!
Check out my work in Living Sims Magazine HERE
E'Claire

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »

There's a border tool on Gimp?! Why do I not know this?!
I've been spending ages resizing and allsorts trying to get a decent border! Darn.
I'm off to find the border tool ^.^
Karla!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »

one of my friends gave me his photoshop program, but the bad thing is that its in another language =S does anybody know how to change it to english?

Liv

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2008, 08:44:10 am »

Quote from: E'Claire;1116770
There's a border tool on Gimp?! Why do I not know this?!
I've been spending ages resizing and allsorts trying to get a decent border! Darn.
I'm off to find the border tool ^.^

The border tool is under Script fu -> Decor -> Add Border

1ST Mr./Miss Multitalent with Midori Emerson . 1ST Real World Skkylar Emerson . 1ST Married by Simmerica- Jason and Darla Miller . 1ST Bachelor Malibu- Roshanda Gardner

My Sims

Chapters 1 and 2 Available Now!
TarynKay

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2008, 10:47:21 pm »

While there's a ton of different Photoshop tutorials posted on this thread, I noticed a decided lack in tutorials for Paint Shop Pro (I use 9 but there's a handful of different versions out there), which is my program of choice! So I decided to post one of my own. This is how I, personally, edit my pictures--it's not THE only way and not even THE best way, I'm sure Cheesy Also, please note that a lot of the darkness in the pictures just comes from me being lazy and saving them as .PNG in Paint instead of .JPG in PSP...anyways, I edit my pictures a LOT before they ever get displayed anywhere, because they're so bad and because I enjoy it xD You don't have to do every single thing that I do--in fact, you'll probably get better results if you play around a little!

We'll start with a picture of dear Schyler as our model, since it doesn't require major editing like some of my nighttime or dusk pictures do. Schyler is feeling very plain, as evidenced by our resident frowny face. But don't worry, we're going to fix that.

The first thing I do is add a glow. Since there's 1000 tutorials just on this board about how to do that, I didn't add pictures (however, if you're new to Paint Shop, right click, duplicate the background layer, go to Blur - Guassian Blue). HOWEVER, here's where it varies slightly. Under the Layer toolbar, scroll to the right and click the box that says 'Normal.' Instead of going down and clicking Overlay, I put it at Soft Light instead, which doesn't give the picture quite as harsh a look as Overlay or Hard Light.

Now scroooooll back over to the left and change the opticity from 100 to anywhere from 75 to 90, depending on the picture. I used 85 for this one.

However, the picture is looking rather dark, so go to Layers, New Adjustment Layeer, and down to Hue/Saturation/Lightness.

We don't want to mess with Hue right now, so leave that alone. Go to Saturation and plug in a number from 5 to about 25, again depending on the picture. Go to Lightness and put in a number from about 4 to 7, once AGAIN depending on the picture and how light you want it! Night or dusk pictures tend to be darker, so you would use a higher number for those. Press OK.

Now right click on the new Adjustment layer and go to Merge, Merge All. That'll merge it with your background so you don't have to keep messing with the seperate layers.

While that lightened our picture, it also left it without much contrast. To fix that, and make it a little brighter yet, go to Adjust, Brightness and Contrast, Brightness/Contrast.

Type in the amount that you want. Beware! Too much in either of those boxes and your picture will probably get washed out. Keep the numbers low.

Bad example of too much brightening D: It's earned two frowny faces this time.

The picture is still pretty dark, but I'm worried about washing out the light colors in the picture if I brighten/contrast it again, so instead, I go to Adjust, Fill Flash. It takes away the shadows from the pictures but it doesn't wash out the picture which is good!

The number you put here really varies depending on the picture--it can go up awfully high if it's a really dark picture. For this one, I put in 25 and called it good.

Precisely because of the lack of shadows, after that I go to Clarify it. You don't actually have to do this, I just like to.

I never do more than 1 or 2 on this just because it tends to look odd if you do. It's a little thing but it makes a lot of difference, I think.

Go to Adjust, Sharpen...I do that twice for most pictures...

Then resize, yay! I put my numbers 10 pixels smaller than the minimum forum requirements because I put a huge border around my pictures.

Then the handy dandy sharpening tool! Yay! I use this to make the eyes in pictures stand out a little more. You don't have to have the same exact settings as mine--play around and see what you like best. Zoom in A LOT A LOT and just brush the sharpening tool over your Sim's eyes once or twice. In this case, I did it twice.

As you can see, it makes the eyes stand out a lot more, which I love.

Then I add my border (which I saved as a script) and I'm ready to save!

OR

If you don't have your border saved as a script like I do, just go to Images, Add Borders, and viola!

I added a 2 pixel thick red border to my picture, to get an idea of what it looks like.

Time to save! I use the JPEG Optimizer because I find it gives you the best results--if you set the compression value to 1, then you don't look any quality or get fuzzy edges like you do if you just save it as .JPG in Paint or use the Save button in PSP. You can also save it as .PNG, but it makes a larger file and the picture is darker.

The final product! Yay! You actually got through the long, tedious tutorial in time to see the end. Congratulations!

I apologize if my tutorial sucks, it was just thrown together quickly...hopefully it'll help someone! xD
[/FONT]

E'Claire

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:42 am »

Thanks Taryn, I don't have Photoshop but it does give me a few ideas for some of my picture editing. I especially like the tip about the eyes! Tongue

And thanks Liv! I did find a border button but I don't think it was that one, I'll go nose at that one Wink
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: