Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 10:52:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing clothing ages with bodyshop  (Read 2448 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
spaunen

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2006, 02:46:23 am »

Okies. After reading various tutorials and things about how to change age categories for clothing, I finally came across something more to my style. Im not really a creator (yeah yeah I know, don't knock it till you try it) so if I find an article of clothing I like I prefer to pop it on most of my sims. But I really didn't want to go thru meshes and other tweaking procedures. Mind you im sure those are the best methods, but this method is more for the lazy I guess.

It seems so freaken simple its sad. Im sure im doing something to blow my game up, but I haven't had any problems. Ive tested in game the finished 'projects' and have been able to put them on my sims either in CAS, bodyshop or shopping in game. No crashes thus far. Course now im semi tempted to do this with more of my clothing, but im a wee bit apprehensive.

So ill be willing to delete this post or a mod please delete this post if its found to be a bad or worse recommendation. I don't want to encourage lazy behavior that can potentially be destructive. But if it seems to be a good idea, then id like others to have the opportunity to use it. I looked freaken everywhere for a simpler method. Heck maybe this is already somewheres else.

First, I wanna give credit where credit is due. I didn't come up with the idea, I used howardlpeters. He had recommended it on another post elsewhere. This is just a more detailed version of his recommendation.

Okies the steps taken.

Ill use the example of creating swimwear for athleticwear and changing the age from adult to teen. I have TS2, Univ, Night, OfB and FFS.

Open bodyshop.

Click create parts, create clothing, then click whatever appropriate clothing you wish to alter the age on. For the purposes of this test, im selecting an adult 2 piece swimwear item. Export it and call the project name test.

Click cancel, then click accept. Don't import it or youll get version 2 of the same clothing in your list.

Start a new project again. Click create clothing, select teen and for the purposes of this test, select a swimwear item. I used one of the maxis defaults, one of the 2 piece items.

****Its important that the item you choose is MOST like the clothing you wish to alter the age on. That means if it doesn't have a collar, then whatever you choose at this stage shouldn't either. If its a dress, then you need to select a dress type article of clothing. You get the idea. Since im loading a swimwear item and making it athleticwear, obviously im choosing a swimwear thats most like the 2 piece article of clothing for my test project.****

After selecting the clothing, click export and ill call it teenathletic.

Okies heres the trixie part. Don't click import, don't click cancel and you don't need to close bodyshop. You can if you want to though.

At this point I go into C:/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Projects

See the folder labeled test? Go into that one.

Copy all items EXCEPT the test.package file.

Go back to projects then enter the teenathletic folder.

Paste all the files you just copied into this folder. Select Yes to All.

Close the window. I had problems when I didn't go completely out of here so I believe this is important.

Now go back to bodyshop. Click Refresh Preview Sim.

You see that it now has the original test adult swimwear clothing on a TEEN body.

Unclick the swimwear icon, click the athletic icon. Now click import to game.

Thats it. You now have converted adult swimwear to teen athletic and it looks like its on the right 'style' of body. Check body shop teen athletic and it should be there. Itll be available in game as well.

Comments and critques are truly welcome.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 02:55:17 am by spaunen » Logged
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:44:59 am »

Ok, in short instead of editing the exported textures as you do for a regular recolour, you replace them with textures borrowed from another outfit - not exactly a new method, but it's quick and convenient and I can confirm that it's perfectly safe as long as you follow exactly the steps you described (not copy the .package file along with the textures); and you're right about needing two outfits that are comparable in shape, else the results will most likely be weird though it can be fun to experiment with that. Smiley
howardlpeters

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 09:41:34 am »

Marvine summed this up in a nutshell.  One more little comment:  If you've performed this little "cheat" and the results are not what you expected, it is fairly easy to edit the new item with your paint program.  This may even save you some time in the long run because you'll only have to tweak the problem areas.  However, if you've really screwed things up and used a mesh that's not working with the new outfit, just don't save your project.  Start over with a new choice and all you're out is a few minutes of experimental time and you've learned a valuable lesson.  Making mistakes has taught me more about this issue than most tutotials I've attempted. lol  Hugs

"Those late for dinner will not be served a fruit cup."

I'm Baaaaack!
spaunen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:36:39 pm »

Yeah I didn't really think it was anything new, but I couldn't find any details for a simpler method. Just a bunch of huge walkthroughs ya know? Probably lost in the archives somewhere. tongue

Thats what I needed to know, whether it was safe to use. Didn't really want to mess with meshing for only a few clothing items (yes im that lazy... shaddup).

Nods I found that out with the above example cept using athletic outfit. It was like, woah... the shape really looks funky. Thats NOT what I wanted.

Thanks to both of you.

Take care
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:39:20 pm by spaunen » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: