Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 06:33:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Question About Object Interactions  (Read 3558 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
sbt

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:44:11 am »

How would the interactions be removed from a bookcase please?

For a bookcase you get the actions of read, the skills to study, etc.
Have the SimWardrobe Sims 2 categorizer and just removing the skills and satisfy wants from the object does not remove the interactions.

In SimPe would you remove the pie menu functions so nothing is there, and if so what would the filename and format be changed to please? For other objects it is all blank with a different format number.

Would they be removed in the semi globals by changing it from bookcase globals to wall hanging globals?

Would pie menu strings or object functions be changed, and if so to what please?

Would it be easier to clone the object and remove them from there? Have recolored but not cloned, so would need a tutorial on cloning.

Thank You for any replies.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:01:22 pm by sbt » Logged
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:18:18 pm »

Object interactions are typically comprised of "action" and "guardian" behaviors and are specified via an object's Pie Menu Functions (NB: this isn't the only way to insert a menu option in the Sims 2, but it is the easiest and most common).  Action routines carry out the behavior whenever a menu item is selected by the player.  Guardian behaviors are test routines and determine whether or not a particular action is available for selection.

Action and guardian behaviors are commonly prefixed with the word "Interaction" in their name.  Similarly, guardian behaviors typically have names that end with "TEST".  

For example, if you had a menu option called "Goober", you might see a pair of behaviors like this:

Interaction - Goober
Interaction - Goober - TEST

The first is the Action.  The second is the Guardian.  If the guardian test returns true, then the action is made availble to the player.  If it's false, the menu option is hidden.

If you have a look at the bookcase semi-global BHAV's (0x7F327BCE) you will find several such routines.  The easiest way to affect a change on a category of object across the board is to modify the semi-globals (although you could accomplish this on an individual basis by editing every single book case in the game).  The semi-globals are shared BHAV's common to all objects of a given type.

You will find in the BHAV listing for bookcase semi-global, several BHAV's which end in the word "TEST".  For example:

Interaction - Read Book - Test
Interaction - Put Away All Books - Test

Modifying these to always return FALSE will hide these options permanently.

The unfortunate aspect about bookshelves is that they are poorly designed.  The "Study..." behaviors have no guardian (and are, by default, "always on").  That is, they have no association with the semi-global BHAV's as the other options do.  You would therefore either have to disable all flags in the pie menu interactions for EACH individual bookshelf or delete the interaction altogether.    In either case, you end up editing a dozen or more individual objects instead of nipping them all in the bud once at the semi-global level.

Such is a day in the life of a modder...c'est la vie.

J
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:21:37 pm by jase439 » Logged

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
sbt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »

Ah, Thank You, am gonna try a test copy of a bookcase and make sure it works okay before doing them all.

Another question please, if you have a bookcase that someone created but it isn't actually a bookcase because there are no actions to it and it has sculpture or something like that for the semi global. How would you add the interactions to it? Is it okay to do that to someones creation if it is only for your own game?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 04:26:58 pm by sbt » Logged
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:25:26 pm »

The easiest thing to do is to reassign its semi-global to bookcaseglobals and then update its pie menus to match those of a bookshelf.

You can do what you like with whatever you've downloaded, but should not upload any modified content without consent from the original author.

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
sbt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:27:48 pm »

Thank You so much for the quick replies.

Is there a hack for this so that all Sims would not use any bookcase without being selected to?
A global hack might be better.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:01:53 pm by sbt » Logged
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:47 pm »

Not that I know of.  You might check over at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf as Pescado has a whole bunch of "anti-annoyance" kind of mods.  Not sure if he's ever done bookshelves though.

BTW, what you're describing however, is not a bookcase without function (a 'decorative' bookshelf).  You're describing a bookcase without autonomy which is altogether something different.  In that case you can just open up a bookshelf of your choosing, go to the Pie Menu Functions, and then click on each menu option and make sure the Autonomy level is set to 0x00000064.  That should prevent sims from automatically using that bookshelf unless expressly directed to do so.  You would have to repeat this process for other bookshelf types that you wanted to behave in this manner.

J

PS. BTW, I would *strongly* recommend you do NOT modify objects.package directly.  Instead, extract the pie menu functions you wish to modify, change the values you want, and then save the package file in your Downloads folder.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 07:53:54 pm by jase439 » Logged

sbt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 07:18:03 am »

Thank You again Jase. Saving this thread.

Have searched MTS2, MATY and here and located alot of no autonomous hacks but not book related. Except don't read to toddlers which does not work in my game since we installed Family Fun then Glamour Life, they read to them alot no matter which version is used.

Gonna request if this can be made. Thank You so much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: