Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 01:10:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Advocating Free Content  (Read 44814 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
madpauly

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2005, 04:56:12 am »

Quoted from a certain other place...

Paysites have thier place in the community right now - they have done for years.

The last little droplets of respect I had for the author of this particular piece of nonsense have finally evaporated. In no other moddable gaming community that I am aware of is content available on a 'pay-to-download' basis (although a certain Morrowind site has recently introduced a 'beg-to-run-it' ideaology, which kind of makes me want to find a bucket).

People should run hosting sites because they enjoy it, not to make money off the back of it. I'm disgusted that EA/Maxis continue to allow this practice. Any other decent community would have shot sites such as TSR down in flames long ago.

Regards,
Pauly
Flying the Flag for Free Content
madpauly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 07:19:01 am »

Tell you what... if someone came to my free hosting site and forums and started advertising pay content, their feet wouldn't touch the ground after I hit the 'IP Ban' button  :lol:

Regards,
Pauly
Keeping It Free
Katt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:09 am »

*grin* I have to make my hubby read this. I was asked to join two friends opening their own paysites...I turned them down, and he was very angry. I like that anybody and everybody who wants it can download my stuff....
Katt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 07:37:16 am »

Honey...I know all about Po *laugh* Hubby works and I'm a stay at home mom with four kids.....I still won't do it no matter how much he thinks we need the money. I went to school for cosmetology, and I could easily get a job doing that. He wants me home. This is one argument I'm going to win...he can't make me do it.
madpauly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 07:42:44 am »

What makes me laugh is sites like TSR claiming that the only reason they charge is to pay for bandwidth. What a load of utter bs. They make shedloads of cash off the back of unsuspecting mugs^H^H^H^Hcustomers which should more than pay the bandwidth costs, unless they're shifting something along the lines of 20Tb a month, which is a helluva lot of shifting...

TSR even deign to pay certain 'featured artists' retainers, which galls me even more. How mercenary can some people be, when they're prostituting their hobby for a quick buck? Do it for the love of the game, or get the hell out of the business. You think I'm making any money out of hosting mods? Damn, the ad revenue doesn't even come close...

It makes my blood boil, I tell ya  Tongue

Regards,
Pauly
:spanish:
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 08:52:43 am »

Oh lordy

Paysites have thier place in the community right now - they have done for years.

I don't know what to say to that, makes me want to get a red pen.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
madpauly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 09:08:37 am »

Quote from: beosboxboy
I don't know what to say to that, makes me want to get a red pen.

What is scary is who said it. Let's just say the administrator of a certain site, as a closing comment before locking a thread...

Regards,
Pauly
Ranting Away
Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:29:23 am »

I personaly am not interested in paysites
i dont download from them and dont care to really join them
although i did go to tsr a couple of times to teach a few people
the correct information on creating foods
but thats it and i have not really been back

As for creating mesh's even i jumped on the bandwagon to make new foods
and although they are second rate to me i am at least trying
and didnt go cheating by downloading others work to refurbish it on mts2
although my work isnt the greatest i will get better
and as i get better ill feel better with my work ..

i dont mind new people learning to mesh as long as they dont steal others work to do it.

i can say i have looked at alot of mesh's
especialy a really nice food site full of mesh's but that was just to get an idea of how they look in the finished mesh product just to have a clue of what to do
but trust me i am not stealing anyones work nor do i copy the foods from any other site i have just looked for shape values
besides the food items are anywhere from $50.00 to $600.00 dollars
and even if i could steal them i would rather make them from scratch
and learn what i am doing even if it is second rate,
i will learn and get better with time and as i do i am sure people will come to like them better

i just dont like seeing people learn from me on what to do
then go to a paysite with it

exnem has one and has released many of his creations to the free world but has now taken his work completely to pay and i am not sure that was cool at all.

i would also love to have a site up one day with all my creations on it but i would not make it pay.. i dont mind a site who has a donation status but pay does sicken me!

I came upon a concrete ball which triangles in the wind!

Check out this wonderfull site... link below

http://www.insimenator.net/

Make a Difference and Give a child a Hug!
Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:36:55 pm »

yes i totaly agree and you can tell in my creations that they are all made from scratch as they are not really that good but i at least have an imagination and am trying to learn lol

As for Exnem i am right along side you with that one ..
i at first displayed disgust about the communities actions then sat back and thought hmm
bring out a few new items then go back to your own paysite and let them all pay for what i provided for free
i mean cmon i didnt crack the code but i did go into alot of work to make each food item work with permission from exor674
and i did it all for free even was willing to teach tons of people how to do it
then they run off to paysites :?  and although i cannot control them
i dont think it is right to take all of Exor's or my work and make others pay for what we did ..  :?
at one point i was so irritated that i cloned every single one of exnems pies and thought hmm it was my hard work that made it possible
i should release them but then thats wrong as well
so i didnt because i dont want to be like what i despise in this community
besides it was more exors hard work that made it possible
for me to take the next step ..
eh i am just pissed in one way and confused in another about it all

EDIT - oh and about the poly count i am not sure how to do it in the food items so if you know maybe you can give me a slight explanation as i think the foods are a bit different to most items but i cannot be sure?
that and i am not sure how to do it anyways?

madpauly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 02:03:03 pm »

Quote from: Motoki
If someone uploads your stuff somewhere else, guess what they gave you a free mirror for your file. tongue

Now that gives me an idea... perhaps I should approach all those creators of naff mods, such as 'another generic house mod that took me 2 minutes', and offer to host them if they pay me...  :twisted:

Of course, I'd still let people download it for free...

Regards,
Pauly
Scheming and Twisted Admin-Thingy of Thingies
Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 02:33:15 pm »

Well I've said this before and been roundly flamed for it, but as long as pay sites do not gain a right to stop other creators offering the same things free then they're pretty harmless and not worth a load of bad feeling over.   As long as loads of great free stuff is always available, the pay sites just add to the diversity of choice.

I don't take any notice of the twaddle about them needing the money for the bandwidth - no one told them they had to hire humungous great servers with humungous numbers of "staff" filling them up.   If the bandwidth at my site got to the point where I couldn't pay for it with more or less the cost of a couple of drinks a month, I'd take some of the files off or make less stuff.   I wouldn't want the hassle of collecting donations or subscriptions.

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 02:38:09 pm »

Quote from: Motoki
If someone uploads your stuff somewhere else, guess what they gave you a free mirror for your file.

Well, I don't really like people mirroring my stuff because that way people end up getting out of date versions, no instructions and no support.  I don't mind so much when it's something I know is really simple and I am not going to touch again.   But if someone decides they're going to offer one of my hacks on their site anyway, then I'd prefer it if they changed its name and said it was their work, then people won't come moaning to me about it if they can't get it to work  :-D

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 02:59:29 pm »

Anyway, Exnem's stuff is kind of borderline high poly, particularly for how small it is, and he doesn't post his counts which makes me suspicious to begin with. Plus as a vegetarian his meaty stuff grosses me out lol.

Usualy the foods are kind of high anyways but he is not just changing
the food but also the way the whole file looks

it's ok to change the main course then just paint whatever else but the problem i think his files have is he is changing not just the main course but every little mesh in it and yeah the last one with the fish was kind of well you said it best ..

i will say at least he gave some stuff away but none of the foods to me should be pay considering at the moment the only thing that would work would have to be the salad if i had not have seriously banged my head trying to get them all to work only for other people to learn it and reap a dollar off of my headaches

now dont get me wrong i would love to see at least a few other sites offering food items just as long as they stay free Cheesy

Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 03:35:56 pm »

more than likely you would have to go back and re-subscribe  :evil:
like i said to me thats just wrong they should all stay free
if and when changes are made people should be able get the fix without anyone telling them to pay for it
if that happens i am gonna bitch my head off considering they were meant to be free anyways

i bet if i asked for the files he has he would say i need to pay for them :evil:

Christi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 05:12:57 pm »

The question I have is that someone was doing some figuring,and they came up with,Tsr is making about 4700 a month off of people,and what I really want to know is what are they doing with the money?Please don't jump on me but I have been a subscriber for about 6 months,to defend myself it wasn't until the sim2 that I found out about custom content and the first place I ever found was tsr,I just want to know where my hard earned money is going.I don't like the way they run things over there it has become a political war zone and I think the sims is about fun not a powerfest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: