Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 02:44:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please support Wes_h's request for the Milkshape SDK!  (Read 7454 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:14:46 am »

If you have any interest in body meshing and Wes_h's Body Chop plugins, read Wes_h's post on MTS2, and maybe add your 2 cents on the Chumbalum forums (link on the post)!

Until a more complete version of Mikshape is released, this is the best hope for solving some very frustrating issues with these plugins, which are until now limited by Milkshape's own limitations - and still manage to be the best available tool for creative meshing in my opinion.
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:02:05 pm »

This is a wonderful idea Marvine.
Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:42:23 pm »

Thanks for the link, hopefully more people post about this issue.

Direct link to Wes_H's post

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=17507
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:54:23 pm by Teresa » Logged

I came upon a concrete ball which triangles in the wind!

Check out this wonderfull site... link below

http://www.insimenator.net/

Make a Difference and Give a child a Hug!
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 04:39:40 am »

Thank you for your support - I'm sorry that I don't know that much people in the modding community, else I'd push everybody on that thread...

If Wes_H was able to complete his plugins, I truly think that no other tool could compete with them  - they're already the best in terms of freedom of creation. And he also could use a little incentive from meshers, developing these plugins take a lot of time and effort and I don't think he gets much feedback about them.

I intend to post my next worK (if I succeed) also on MTS2, along with a speech about this, hoping it will gather more attention...
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 08:55:17 am »

GREAT NEWS!!

It seems that Wes was convincing enough, and that we users were heard: Wes is now testing a version of Milkshape including the features he asked for, and remaking his plugins accordingly.

Thank you Kathy for posting on that topic, I believe that our support made a difference. Smiley
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 12:30:46 pm »

Oh that is wonderful news!! I may be inspired to start meshing again.
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 03:47:36 pm »

If he gets that bone-weighting problem sorted out, that would be the bomb.

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
wes_h

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 02:38:31 pm »

As many of you may know, during the warmer times of the year I spend enough of my time (and energy) working at my other love, my Cattle.
During the colder months, I have free time & ambition to build other things.

I very recently joined this board, and am pleased that some people have taken the time to help my efforts.

Here is the official status of my efforts:

I am communicating directly with Mete Ciragan (Mr. MilkShape himself). He has made changes and provided me an alpha/beta type copy of his upcoming V1.7.7 release that has some extra data space that allows extra bones and skin weights to be stored.

I have totally rewritten the plugins in a fashion that takes advantage of that capability, and it works. Shoulders and elbows look just like in the game. There will no longer be different sets of plugins for objects and body meshes... the plugins use the comment fields to set keywords that allow the many variations of GMDCs to be dealt with.

There are still remaining issues before this is finished, and of course, I can't release the plugins until MilkShape 1.7.7 is available, because they cannot run on older versions than that.

There is still a "shadowing" problem remaining on clothing items that have folds in them. An example is the men's T-shirt and boxer shorts, at the waistband and where the pants legs join to the legs. This is caused by the current export interface removing duplicated vertices, which makes the "folded under" parts of the mesh contiguous with the outer faces, which then changes the normals, making them point midway between (which is now downward, rather than straight out), which changes the way the clothes are rendered. The issue, for Mete, is providing a way to avoid doing this without breaking other plugins for other games (some of which cannot accept the duplicated vertices). He has promised me not to release 1.7.7 until we find a solution, which is under way.

Creating "morphs" will require seperate models and special model naming rules. You will no longer be able to use the tilde '~' character as the first character of your model names. So a model named "~body" will either shut down with an error message or simply be left out of the export completely. I know this will inconvenience someone, somewhere, someday, but something has to be special.

The last remaining problem I am having is making the "tangent normals", which are used for bumpmapping, work. I have not yet hit on the proper combination to satisfy BodyShop to allow Semloh's Bump Map Tester to display the bumpmaps, even though I feel I now have made the correct section in the output model. So I am hunting for logs and other diagnostics that may give me a hint over why BodyShop doesn't like them.

I have no release date available, but I hope to post (over at mts2) very soon after, or simultaneously with, the release of MilkShape 1.7.7. This could be days, or still weeks away.

I appreciate all the support,
<* Wes *>

(my 1st post here!)
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 06:27:34 pm »

This is wonderful Wes!! I am keeping an eye on your thread on MTS2 so when it's ready for testing I have a few ideas that I wanted to try. Thankyou once again for your dedication!!
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 02:26:13 pm »

Thank you Wes for posting here about your progress; I hope that your efforts will be rewarded soon so that you can get some rest, and that you and Mete find solutions for the remaining issues.

Like Kathy I have some ideas that I can't wait to try, and my current projects would be so much easier to complete with these new plugins - you'll get an idea if I tell you that I have to make child and teen merfolk, meaning having to create the missing bodymod groups, figuring out the right bone assignments and then editing the weightings in SimPE to smoothen the animations and fix the shoulders and elbows blockiness... The perspective of this new tool is just dizzying! Smiley
Teresa

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 03:16:40 pm »

god the aspects of this tool will be outragous when completed
i need to find a tut to read so when he does complete it i can start trying to learn the animation precess Smiley
i can imagine the creations people will come up with
Wes you are the simmer god among gods and will defanitly deserve a huge break after all of this.

I came upon a concrete ball which triangles in the wind!

Check out this wonderfull site... link below

http://www.insimenator.net/

Make a Difference and Give a child a Hug!
VETTY

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 03:02:22 am »

I want to say thank you to Wes for his great work and all efforts for us in here.

Thank you.. heartily!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: