Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 10:33:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Clothing creators please read: quick fix for the thumbnail issue with Pets  (Read 25290 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:13:14 pm »

Permission is granted to copy and translate this on any site.

If you make a translation of the tutorial please contact Beosboxboy or Marvine
at InSIMenator.net so a link may be added for the translation.

Edit 4 December 2006: In reviewing Sims created with Body Shop from The Sims 2: Pets Expansion Pack it has been demonstrated that the customised face mesh of the character file (i.e., ########_########.package) suffers the same error as clothing and other items made with Body Shop. In those instances as this error has occured the Maxis default (un-customised) face is used. To restore the customised face mesh use the method described in the first post of this thread to restore the customised face to the downloaded Sim.

See this tutorial in French by Marvine here: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=28655.
Lire ce tutoriel en français ici: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=28655

See this tutorial in Italian by Sims2cri here: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=28468.
Leggere questa tutorial in italiano qui: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=28468.

See this tutorial in German by Engelchen here: http://foxtrot502.server4you.de/sims2/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4794.
Diesen Tutorial auf Deutsch lesen hier: http://foxtrot502.server4you.de/sims2/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4794.

See this tutorial (Solución para los problemas de compatibilidad con LS2 Mascotas) in Spanish by FJPerez here: http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=29827

WHAT THIS PROCESS FIXES:

Some people among whom Numenor, Dr Pixel, Beosboxboy and myself have spent the last two days trying to figure out a fix for the thumbnails issue with Pets made clothing for people not having the EP installed.
After fruitless attempts on my own and testing different workable but not so easy fixes by Dr Pixel and Numenor, it finally clicked in when sharing thoughts with Yakov and I found a quick and easy method, even if you don't have much experience of SimPE (a huge thank you to Beosboxboy for the thorough testing and the pretty pics Cheesy):

- Open your recolour in SimPE
- select the property set line in the top right panel

- select the "parts = ........" line in the bottom left panel

- click "add" in the bottom right panel, this will duplicate the line to the bottom of the list

- this last line being selected

- type "outfit" instead of "parts" in the right panel - no other edit needed, the number is the right one

- click "commit" and save.

You'll have to delete your thumbnails before starting the game so the changes can properly apply to the items that were already installed.

Note: The thumbnails are the files located in one of the following directories   C:\Documents and Settings\YourWindowsScreenNameHere\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails - *Windows 2000 & Windows XP

or

C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails - *Windows 98 & Windows ME

or

Home/EA Games/The Sims 2/Thumbnails - MacOS X

* or what ever hard drive is your main Windows driveThis fixed all the files I tested, tops and full body outfits by Innocent, JayAngel, Engelchen and Cocosims (yay!!)
Now I didn't get to test this with the EP, there shouldn't be any issue but better safe than sorry... So it would be great if anybody with the EP installed gave it a try Smiley

EDIT: This fix has been shown to work with clothing, hair, and skin tones in installs of The Sims 2 with Nightlife EP, Open for Business EP, and Glamour Life Stuff installed.

This fix is useful for already made content, but Numenor added a "Legacy Bodyshop" option to his BaseGameStarter here , that allows to use the base game Bodyshop to create fully compatible clothing no matter which EPs are installed. Smiley

EDIT 5 November 2006 22:36 (GMT -5:00): This was mentioned by MaryLou at MTS2
Quote from: MaryLou
These problems there are partially when you creat a COMPLETE SIM too.

When you create a sim with Bodyshop and then you export him to share, in the Sims2Pack created by Bodyshop there are all the files the sim needs to work, this files are extract from BS so more of them have the new format code too.

So it bears reminding us all that using the Pets EP Body Shop will likely package the Sim in the Sim2Pack with misbehaving files; so please make especial effort to warn your downloaders that the Pets EP will be required for those Sims! There is a banner that I made available here for this purpose.

* marvines_fix01.jpg (75.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 9158 times.)

* marvines_fix02.jpg (67.24 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2400 times.)

* marvines_fix03.jpg (25.89 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2382 times.)

* marvines_fix04.jpg (74.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2408 times.)

* marvines_fix05.jpg (29.97 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2387 times.)

* marvines_fix06.jpg (35.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2285 times.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 01:07:38 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged
Kavar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:22:24 pm »

this is great info ju, thanks for sharing it with us all Smiley

Light up, Light up, as if you have choice, Even if you cannot hear my voice, I'll be right beside you dear..
kere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:52:57 pm »

Thank you Ju!
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:55:59 pm »

yayaya Ju *smoochies*
Amun-RA
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:05:17 pm »

Thanks. Great stuff.

Quote of the Year
'virtual orgasmic rape' - Kevin McCullough
Persephone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:12:40 pm »

This is great, thank you so much Smiley
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 07:23:44 pm »

I am moving this to the general modding section so it can be of benefit to the most people.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
kaneonapua

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:36:05 pm »

I folllowed the above directions and it fixed the problems I was having with the latest Peggy Sims donation hair AND a Peggy Sims dress that was behaving especially badly.

It did not fix my other invisible download problem but I consider this real progress. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have TS2, Uni and NL.

SynapticSim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 09:51:22 pm »

Okay y'all, I've updated Rockslide in this thread with the "fix".  Please let me know if it corrected the problem.

Since I have Pets, I wasn't experiencing the problem, so I don't really have a way to check it.

~ Syn

Join SynapticSim's Lair Today!
Downloads!  Discussions!  Stories!  Art!  Check it out!
engelchen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 12:44:13 pm »

Thank you for spending your time to make this fix.Smiley

~walking with a friend in the dark
 is better than walking alone in the light~
lilpooh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 12:49:55 pm »

Thank you!!! I was going crazy trying to firgure out what the bejeees was going on.  Now I have to decide -- install pets now or fix manually.

EA Games/Maxis -- Learn the 7 "P's"-EP 4
Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
Look for new series "Living in Paradise" Dec 06
  and the return of "Alstaria Heights" in Jan 07
JayAngel
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 03:32:20 pm »

Yay you!  Thank you very much for this - I may even reinstall Pets :cheers:

VISIT ME HERE AT INSIMENATOR: JAY'S HOME FOR FALLEN ANGELS
OR HERE AT MY SITE: AFTER MIDNIGHT SIMS 2
Whether angels or devils pursue me
In the dark I cannot tell...

zizismommy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 04:59:58 pm »

Marvine thank you for the detailed explanation on how to fix this! Cheesy

Call me Dee

:rr: Real Sims 2 :rr:
[/B]
Stimy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 11:23:48 am »

Great work Marvine!!!

I don't want to be nitpicky, so please don't take this as anything other then a suggestion, but shouldn't the 6th picture show 'outfit' in the Name:-field and not 'parts' as it says on the image now before commiting?

It says so int the text but some do rely on images more in guides.

Just a suggestion so those not so adept at doing this kind of thing don't misunderstand.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 05:14:27 pm »

image corrected Stimy - thank you for being obsessive!  I haven't had much sleep the past week so I missed that entirely!

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: