Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 03:17:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RaynePoodle's Help Crashing  (Read 6134 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006, 02:49:33 pm »

My game is still crashing... even after I took the now outdated insim out... what was that debug code again? And how do I use it?

Rayne Poodle

:hello2: Do you love Robert Jordans' Wheel of Time Series?
Visit Us Here
http://www.astuteart.net/patterns/phpBB2/
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:36:47 am »

Besides removing the old Insim as you have you should try removing ALL hacks and CC.  The easiest way is to move your Downloads folder to the desktop.

Then confirm your game is working.

Create a Downloads folder in My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2.

If you Downloads are organized with subfolders, copy subfolders back one at a time and try the game again. And continue this until your game doesn't work.  The problem will be in that last folder you added.

If you Downloads wasn't organized, Run CleanInstaller and browse to the Desktop/Downloads folder to scan it.  We'll add some organization :grin:

After the scan is complete, sort on Type.  

NOTE:  Leave any file highlighted in RED in the Downloads folder.  We will address those later.

The first thing we'll do is move your Meshes.  This won't have a type, and usually have Mesh somewhere in the name.  You can click on the first to highlight it, then scroll down to the last in the group and shift-click to highlight them all.  Then right click and select "Move to New" to create a folder called Meshes.  Once you create that folder, all the mesh files highlighted will be located in that folder.  After you've got all that you can find, you can try the game again.  It should run without problems though because a mesh by itself isn't picked up by the game.

Then Highlight all content such as Makeup, clothing, genetics.  
Right click in the highlighted area and chose "Move to New" to create a new folder under Downloads called "Bodyshop".  If you need to move more to Bodyshop, it should be under Downloads now, no need to create another new folder.  Do this until all of your bodyshop type CC is in that folder.  

NOTE:  Some hacks are listed as clothing, game objects, and careers in Clean Installer.  If you see any, don't copy those into a subfolder.

Test your game.

Do the same thing for Walls, Floors, and Terrain Paint using a folder called "Build"

Test your game.

All the recolors you can put into a folder called "Recolors"

Test your game.

Now do the same for game objects into a folder called "Buy" and yes, test it again.

This should leave you with files that don't have a type, careers and some hacks that you've identified that did have a type.  Scan through the list to pick up any meshes you may have missed before.  As you're looking you see some filenames that may indicate what they are and you can place them correctly.  Many accessories, earrings and necklaces in particular aren't typed.  Click on those, and if you identify what it is with a picture you can move it to the right folder.

What you have now is basically mods/hacks.  This is where you will most likely find your problem.

All of the file highlighted in red are mods/hacks to global behavior of the game.  You need to decide if you want to keep those or not.  If you do, check with the source/creator to see if they are compatible with Pets (my assumption is you have Pets, because this is in Pets Help Smiley )

If it's not compatible right click and remove it or disable it.

Now move 1/2 of the files showing in Clean Installer to the Downloads folder.  I like to create a folder called Test until I know if the hack works or if I want to keep it.

Test your game.  If it works those files are good.  Create another folder called good and move them into it.

Now move 1/2 of the remaining files in Clean Installer to Test.  Same thing.  If the game works those are good.

Continue this until the game doesn't work.  The bad file is in there.  Move them back out of the game to a folder called Bad.

Move the rest of the files from Desktop/Downloads to Test and try them.  Move them to good or bad as appropriate after your test.

Then depending on how many hacks are in the bad folder you can move them one at a time, or 1/2 at a time and check out the game.

Hope this helps.
XPTL297

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:36:54 am »

If nothing helps, check your system capacity and see if it meets the requirements to run TS2, if yes, test if it has capacity to support all the downloads you have. Don't forget to run Hack Conflict Detect regularly. It can detect even some repeated bhavs even if they are having the same modifications. After you make changes like placing hacks or deleting them, depending if they are global you will need sometimes to restart - the computer - no hot start, but complete shut down.
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:00:44 pm »

OMG.... that first option is going to take more time than I have right now Sad

And I know my computer can handle TS2... that's what is was made for. I don't know how to test it to see if it can support all the downloads though. And I have never heard of Hack Conflict Detect before...

I have ton of error logs... I just found them... and I have no idea what the heck they mean... would they help you? Or just tell me what log(s) you want and I'll get them to you.

What does a mesh, highlighted in pink mean??? And what are the files that are just numbers and letters... and really long??? What about empty packages(3 of 4 are pink), careers, collections and the things that don't say anything? Or did I read over that part and not realize it?

Sorry if I am an idiot... I am trying to learn something here... wouldn't my mom love this...LOL... she always comes to me to help her fix her game, and now I need help LOL

It will take awhile to test my game, because I usually have to play for about a bit before it goes wonky on me... the first time. I'll test it in a few minutes, and let you know...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:47:50 pm by RaynePoodle » Logged

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 01:03:24 am »

Quote from: RaynePoodle
OMG.... that first option is going to take more time than I have right now Sad

It really doesn't take that long.  The first step of moving your Downloads folder out, then adding your meshes and bodyshop back in will have you playing without error right away.  I assumed you have NL, which allows you to have subfolders under Downloads.  What EPs and SPs do you have?

And I know my computer can handle TS2... that's what is was made for. I don't know how to test it to see if it can support all the downloads though. And I have never heard of Hack Conflict Detect before...

The Hack Conflict Detection Utility in Paladin's Program section may be a good thing to pick up.  I didn't suggest it before because it sounded like you game was working prior to pets.  If you have a lot of error logs, that's not the case :lol:

Get it, run it, then post the results here.  We can speed up finding bad hacks with it.

What does a mesh, highlighted in pink mean??? And what are the files that are just numbers and letters... and really long??? What about empty packages(3 of 4 are pink), careers, collections and the things that don't say anything? Or did I read over that part and not realize it?

Files highlighted in pink are duplicates.  You can delete them and empty packages.  You read over the part I talked about career and things that don't say anything.  But I did forget collections.  Move those to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Collections.  

In short
1.  Get HCDU and post results
2.  Start moving bodyshop CC back into the game.  You can probably move walls/floors/terrain paint and recolors in without problems too.  Same with collections.
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:42:35 am »

Well, the files that aren't of a certain type have no pics... I have checked them all. So I have no idea what they are, or what to do with them.

Here are the results:

Report Start 11/8/2006 11:30:27 PM

End Of Report

0 possible conflicts detected.

Odd.

I only have 4 hacks/mods that are red.
MQ Computer Bank
CBOY Token
bed no shoo2
MQ Computer Hack Global

The rest seems to work just fine. And my game is still slow... and choppy. And sometimes the screen bounces... very weird. Messes up my eyes. :)Thanks for all your help, it's very nice of you to do this Smiley I know I am being a major pain in the butt.  I'll test the rest tomorrow... no... working late tomorrow... the day after tomorrow, I'll test it. If you have anything else to add, or that you need let me know, and I'll get it to you. I will check here tomorrow after work, maybe before. I was up very early this morning for work, so I am going to stop rambling and go to sleep. Thanks again for all your help! :wave:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:10:55 pm by RaynePoodle » Logged

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
CynicalSim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:59:39 pm »

Hmmm, I guess I'll get to work trying to figure out what is going on with my game.  I am a graphic designer, so comp and memory, etc. are beyond what is needed for Sims 2.  Actually, hubby spoils me and just bought me this computer built to handle both the game and Photoshop work.

I removed all cc as usual before installing Pets.  Still haven't put the hacks back in, but all of a sudden, my whole computer will shut off.  The first time it happened, I lost a lot of work.  As my luck would have it, I wasn't at a point where I wanted to do another save yet.  lol! (That won't happen again.) Now that I know it is the game shutting down my comp, I don't start it up if anything important is open too. Tongue

*Some people only dream of angels; we held one in our arms.*
                        Remembering Jacob March 8 - 9, 1996
                   Our Angel: http://sids-network.org/fp/jacob.htm
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:12:57 pm »

Only my game turns off... all of a sudden... not my comp. And I never have any background tasks or other things going on while I am playing. I let my comp concentrate just on Sims2, so it'll run good... but that doesn't seem to be happening Sad

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
CynicalSim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 08:37:49 pm »

Well, maybe I'm the only one it's happening with right now. tongue  I know when OFB came out, I was one of the first ones to deal with one of those big bugs, so I guess I'm just lucky.

*Some people only dream of angels; we held one in our arms.*
                        Remembering Jacob March 8 - 9, 1996
                   Our Angel: http://sids-network.org/fp/jacob.htm
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:56 pm »

Ok... so my game is still doing it. I have the updated insim installed, plus Bodyshop, Mesh, Recolor and Buy folders in the Download folders... I don't think I am ever going to figure this out. Figures that I would have an unsolvable problem :x

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
PhoeniX27J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 05:38:57 am »

In raynepoodle's other post I mentioned an older driver of nVidia that seems to be working for most people...can't help much since I haven't had a BSOD with the sims...
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 05:29:54 pm »

Still having the same problem... question... if you remove a package in the Clean Installer, does it delete it from your computer?? Because I am going through and getting rid of a lot of stuff... I have a ton of it, and most of it I just don't use... so... what's the point? So, it's going bye bye... the reason I was wondering if it also deleted it from the computer was because if I ever have to reinstall the games, then the CC, I don't want all that stuff I never use coming back to haunt me....

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:32 pm »

The Remove option in CI will delete the package from your Downloads folder.  If you have it elsewhere outside of the game, i.e, a folder you download to before installing, and you hadn't deleted it there, it will remain.
RaynePoodle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:19 pm »

Fantastic! Then that means its gone!!

I download to a folder, but after installation I delete the zipped file. After I am done deleting unwanted CC, then I'll make another backup, so I don't lose the files I really do like and use.

Thanks!

Rayne Poodle

Visit Us Here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: