Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 07:19:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How much time do you spend on houses?  (Read 20992 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SashaSplat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 04:36:01 pm »

I am too lazy to build my own, though I should really. I usually download premade ones. I suck. :crybaby:

[signature]                        [/signature][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
bre

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:52 am »

Ha! I suck at house building so I usually d/l them or stick my families in a pre-made house.

Me on MTS2

(2nd) -  Olka Koval Wedding Makeover (tied), Newlyweds with Erica and David-Jacob, A Family Christmas with The Feldmans
(3rd) - Betty Goldstein Makeover
deniseantonia

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 01:17:12 pm »

That's pretty much all I do is build house's... i love to build and decorate

If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!:daisy:
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 09:57:02 pm »

Wow joy, that house really is lovely Smiley.  Personally, if it were up to me, they'd be living outside, because I hate building houses.  Usually I'll make one mansion type house (about 1 -2 hours), one nice house (45 minutes - 1 hour), one okay house (20 - 30 minutes), one crap shack (about 20 minutes), and whatever community lot I plan on using.  I furnish the houses, then put them in the lots and houses bin, so they're saved and I never have to build another one lol.  Unless it's a really special family, I don't go out of my way to build them a nice, unique house.

I can grow eggs, steaks, fish and books...but I can't make V8?

My custom sim is Egyptian royalty...the Adventure said so!
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 01:00:19 am »

Quote from: ~Iris~;433837
Wow joy, that house really is lovely Smiley.  Personally, if it were up to me, they'd be living outside, because I hate building houses.  Usually I'll make one mansion type house (about 1 -2 hours), one nice house (45 minutes - 1 hour), one okay house (20 - 30 minutes), one crap shack (about 20 minutes), and whatever community lot I plan on using.  I furnish the houses, then put them in the lots and houses bin, so they're saved and I never have to build another one lol.  Unless it's a really special family, I don't go out of my way to build them a nice, unique house.

Thanks, Iris! I'm the complete opposite. I've never used one of the premade Maxis houses, and I've only got two houses in my neighborhood that were built by someone else. I've got neighborhoods chock full of houses, and each one is unique. I can happily spend forever building a sim, and forever building them the perfect house.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
shander

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 11:15:30 am »

This took me about a week and a half. Have been working for longer on another one now, but i don't have as much time as i did before. And with the sheer amount of time it takes for the game to load, most of the time i just go play something else entirely :s

There are a lot of details not viewable from this angle and distance, but i'm not at home and it's the only pic i have of it online

"Sneeze? Good lord Victor, I think I just gave myself a lobotomy! I swear chunks of brain are in my palms now!"
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 11:18:33 am »

Oooh, nice Shander!

I wouldn't mind seeing more house pics from people, if you'd care to share them here!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:19:35 am by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Shnooks

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 03:02:22 pm »

I take forever to build houses. It's not even like they're big houses or anything, I just like for them to be just right.
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 03:20:51 pm »

Shander....I can honestly say that I would love to be one of your sims.  Great job!

Quote from: caffeinated.joy;434034
Thanks, Iris! I'm the complete opposite. I've never used one of the premade Maxis houses, and I've only got two houses in my neighborhood that were built by someone else. I've got neighborhoods chock full of houses, and each one is unique. I can happily spend forever building a sim, and forever building them the perfect house.

I just don't have the attention span joy lol.  I think it's because Maxis gave you tons of walls and floors, and none of them ever match!  Plus, I put too much stock into the family's plot line, and not the house in itself, but seriously, I'd love to be one of your or Shander's sims.  I bow to you great house creators Wink Smiley.

I can grow eggs, steaks, fish and books...but I can't make V8?

My custom sim is Egyptian royalty...the Adventure said so!
Shadeaustar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 06:07:24 pm »

My houses take a good 5 minutes, inside and out. I build them for playability, not looks. Gorgeous houses, in my opinion, simply don't play well. Sims are too dumb to live in houses that nice. So, my sims get the square box treatment, and I never have to watch them throw a fit because someone else is on their stairs.

God created man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, did likewise.
melscape

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 10:34:20 pm »

This was a perfect topic for me to happen upon because I recently changed my time spent on houses. I got the Sims2 shortly after it came out but I always used the lots and houses bin, or had friends make them for me. If ever I tried to make a house for myself, I usually built it badly, messed it up so it never looked nice asthetically. I experimented with making basements etc. but after that I built for playability. I never decorated. I never used curtains or rugs and they only got that cheapest square mirror when they needed charisma points. I built one story houses because that was what was easiest to raise a child in so that the toddler was never stuck upstairs etc.

When my friends would send me their houses to use they were always full of couchs and such I never knew the Sims even had.

Well, I like to write fanfics. And in a fanfic I wrote I had to envision a mansion. And after writing the story for about a year I decided to try and build the mansion on Sims. It's pretty square, it took me 10 hours spread over 4 days to build and was the first time I spent longer than 20 minutes building a house. I downloaded custom content to make it look exactly the way I pictured it in my head. I used curtains, rugs, fish tanks, sofas I'd never used before, I built a full kitchen with the dining room as an actual separate room. And I had so much fun. I loved it.

I couldn't believe building could be so much fun. I always thought I wanted to play and that building WASN'T playing, and now I'm really happy to have finally after years discovering this aspect of The Sims 2. Now, I totally want to build cool places for my people to live.

After the mansion/estate, I built a loft house and it only took me a couple hours over 2 days. Thus the mansion was a great crash course because I was like, oh I'm done :lol: and felt like it hadn't taken any time at all.

I do have to say even though I may try harder to make my houses pretty, I will try to keep them small. When I got done making the mansion which I had built on the HUGE lot. It was actually too many walls for me to actually play without horrible lag so I had to play it with walls down. Plus it takes Sims forever to walk from Point A to Point B. And they always pick the toilet with the bathroom that's furthest away when their bladder need is extremely low. I agree with Shadeaustar. Sims are a bit dumb and if they have a large house with lots in it, they don't function well.
Bertie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 12:32:01 am »

I usually get very carried away and take a week or so for a large lot (villa and extensive gardens, landscape etc) Then go back and spend another three or four nights for finishing touches.

I never worry about neighbourhood screens as they lag me too much because of extensive foliage etc
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 07:28:56 am »

I only build houses when I need a specific type house for a specific family-otherwise they go into a downloaded one. Of course this doesn't mean I don't decorate, but I don't go overboard on that, either. My simmies don't need all that stuff, anyway, and they wouldn't appreciate the extra work I would put into a house. They'd whine about something!
I'm a player, not a builder, and they would be the first to agree with me!

Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 07:38:58 pm »

If I'm just playing a house for the hell of it, I take around an hour or so to make a half-decent house w/o major landscaping.

However, when it comes to story sets, that time might become at least 5 or so hours a set, depending on the complexity of the set and any hacks I need to make the set work right.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »

Yay! I'm happy to see this thread come back from the dead! See? I knew I wasn't the only insane homebuilder. I've reached a personal best lol. The last house I built took me three weeks of work; anywhere between three and five hours a day.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: