Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 12:38:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help downloading!!!  (Read 2616 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
aisha1982
« on: November 23, 2006, 08:57:23 am »

Hi, I want to know how can I download stuff in this homepage, I`m new.
Thanks.
Tomkat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 09:37:35 am »

Log in, as you are, and find something you want to download.  There will probaly be a text link at the bottom of the first post ending with .zip or .rar or whatever.  click on that, or control-click it and select "download linked file" or whatever download option your browser gives you.
MISS JESSY

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:55:03 am »

HI I AM NEW, OF COURSE, AND I WANT HIT THE LINK AND A POP UP SAYS OPEN SAVE CANCEL, WHICH DO I CLICK ON?

I WAS CLICKING ON OPEN AND I PUT IT INTO A FILE, BUT WHEN I OPEN IT AFTER IT IS IN A FILE THING A POP US SAYS OPEN CANCEL, AND IT HAS THE FILE NAME: WHATEVER I'M DOWNLODING, TYPE: UNKNOWN FILE TYPE, THEN WHEN CLICK ON OPEN IT SAYS IT CAN'T OPEN IT BECAUSE THE FILE TYPE IS UNKOWN.

WHAT SHOULD I DO. PLEASE SOME BE ABLE TO HELP ME, I AM NOT THAT GOOD AT COMPT. THINGS, EXCEPT WORD DOC. SORT OF..
Konten.Kitsune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:55:18 am »

Choose 'save', the pop up will then ask where you want to download it to. Just choose the first option that comes up. That will be your desktop. Just pick 'save' again and it will start to download.

You're sims game might not have a downloads folder. No Problem! You can make you yourself! go to 'my documents' then 'EA games' and finally 'the sims 2'. Once there check if your game has a 'Downloads' folder. If it has then you can skip this part, if not then click on 'file' the 'new' and pick the folder option. name it Downloads, 'save' it and your done.

Now here it a tricky bit. You need to know what kind of file it is. you can tell by it's name...'''blah''.rar' for .rar files and ' '''blah''.zip' for .zip files.
To work with these files download winrar; http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Winrar might take a while to download. When your done installing it eta..
Right-click on the file you what to put in your game and choose 'extract files..' and then get to your sims downloads in the same way as before but by click the icons in the winrar pop up.

choose 'OK' and you will have your custom content in your game!
If you have any more problems just ask!:toothy7:
oh and this might help as well
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=27964
P.S
 turn off  caps lock because it is seen as shouting.:shh:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:05:36 pm by Konten.Kitsune » Logged

watch the birdie...:smt120
kinneer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:23:44 pm »

Hi Miss Jessy

First, welcome to the board and to the Sim2 gaming community.

Secondly, please do not post all in caps. This can be considered rude as it is usually interpreted as shouting.

To help you with install custom contents. First you need to create a folder called "download" in your save game directory. Here are instructions.

1. Click the "My Documents". This will open a window. There should be a folder called "EA Games".
2. Double click "EA Games"
3. Double click "The Sims 2"
3. Right click in the window. This will display a menu.
4. Select "new" then select "folder". This creates a new folder in the current folder.
5. Rename the folder to be "Downloads"

All your custom contents needs to be put in this folder. You can create sub folder inside this folder to organise your downloads.

Next you need to download the custom content you want.
1. Select the content from the many available.
2. Click the download file. This will vary depending on the content. A window
will be displayed to either open or save to disk.
3. Select save to disk. This will display a window asking where you want to save the file. You can save it anywhere you wish, but keep a note of where that file was saved.

Finally, you need to install the file. The easiest way is to
1. Right click the file and drag it to your "The Sims 2\Download" folder. This
brings up a menu.
2. Select the "Extract here" option. This will extract all the files in your
download file to the destination folder. Sometimes there will be a pop message warning you there is already a file of the same name. This is normally a readme file from the author.
3. The new custom content should have the .package extension.

To try out the custom content,
1. Run Sims 2.
2. There will be a message telling you there are some custom content found. Select the enable custom content and they should be in the game.

Note.
If when dragging the file, there is no "Extract here" option, it means windows do not recognise the file. You can check this by double clicking the file and see if Windows recognise the file, it will open it. If it fails, you will need to get an extractor. Most files have .rar as extension, meaning they are Winrar archives.
Use google to find a Winrar extractor. Install that extractor and attempt to install afterward.

Hope this helps.

To anybody else reading this. Feel free to correct or amend the instructions. This is being done from memory and not from my home computer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:26:42 pm by kinneer » Logged
Sassiehj
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:25 am »

Uhmm I tried all this, I have the files in the Download file, they are all unzipped.. But if I start the Sims game nothing pops up. So I went to the options button, and put the 'enable custom content' on, restarted my game,  but in the box of the enable custom content there were no files, u don't see any downloaded things that can be enabled.. Please help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. Thanks a lot!
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:02:27 am »

Hi Sassiehj, if your downloads are recolors of Maxis objects you will need what is called a CEP file which you can find here. This is necessary to see the recolors in the game. It is not necessary for hair and makeup etc. If you don't have it that could be the problem. I hope this helps and good luck. Wink

kinneer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:26:07 pm »

Quote from: Sassiehj;689597
Uhmm I tried all this, I have the files in the Download file, they are all unzipped.. But if I start the Sims game nothing pops up. So I went to the options button, and put the 'enable custom content' on, restarted my game,  but in the box of the enable custom content there were no files, u don't see any downloaded things that can be enabled.. Please help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. Thanks a lot!

I think I made a mistake. Try renaming the folder to downloads, with the s. Sorry about that. You should have a number of .package files in there. They should appear in your game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: