Insimenator.org
April 24, 2024, 05:47:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wavefront .obj & UV maps...  (Read 3767 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
simbilly305

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:26:05 pm »

Hi everyone...

I just downloaded and installed SimPE for Pets because I needed it for something new I'm doing and it seems as if I've run into a wall. I'm hoping that someone experienced in meshing can point me in the right direction. Maybe something in the program has changed, but it seems that I was always able to export a mesh as a text-based file, import it into Bryce, and save it as a Wavefront Object for the purpose of extracting a UV map. Maybe it's been too long since I've done this (or maybe I'm forgetting something), but I can't seem to re-create the process anymore.

Why am I trying to do this? I'm trying to match up a seam on some clothing I'm working on and this has always been the quickest and most accurate method I've found so that I don't have to keep re-positioning and testing and going in and out of Bodyshop. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:54 am »

Simbilly, you mean that you don't have the ASCII export option anymore? And I'm wondering why you don't directly export an obj file, surely Bryce can deal with that?
simbilly305

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:28:19 am »

Quote from: marvine;440774
Simbilly, you mean that you don't have the ASCII export option anymore? And I'm wondering why you don't directly export an obj file, surely Bryce can deal with that?

Hi Marvine!! :howdy:

Yes, exactly!  I downloaded the .60.1 Alpha of SimPE and the option to export the mesh as ASCII is no longer there, nor is an option to export it as an .obj file Sad .  I was using ASCII before because I did not know which program I would be using to open the file afterwards.  I ended up using Bryce as I'm not very experienced in meshing Cheesy  Bryce has no problem using the .obj format I've since learned.  I was exporting the .obj file and then using UV Mapper to generate the UV map from the .obj file.

It appears as if the the only option SimPE gives me now is to "extract" it as .5gd file (as opposed to "exporting" it), which neither Bryce or UV Mapper appear to understand.  Is there something I am overlooking?  I don't have many tools available for this sort of thing, so any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated :love2:
Franky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 02:35:35 pm »

The reason Bryce and UV Mapper don't understand is because .5gd files are GMDC files and not simply meshes, themselves. I have the newest SimPE and I can export (.obj)s with no problem. However, if you can't, you could always export your mesh in another format (eg. .3ds) that Bryce can handle and then from Bryce, resave it as a (.obj) before loading it into UV Mapper. Smiley
simbilly305

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 03:32:18 pm »

Quote from: Franky;441300
have the newest SimPE and I can export (.obj)s with no problem. However, if you can't, you could always export your mesh in another format...

But how are you doing this?  That is the problem I'm having.  Unless I'm seriously missing something, there is no option available to do anything but extract the GMCD's as a .5gd/5gd.xml file.  Before installing the latest SimPE I was able to do this with no problems (by right-clicking on the asset) and was even presented with options to export in a number of formats.  There does not even appear to be an option for doing this under the File menu anymore Sad
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:36:52 pm by simbilly305 » Logged
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:08:09 am »

Okay, I don't have SimPE installed at work (thank god!!) and can't check that, but I wasn't even aware that you could choose another format than .5gd when right-clicking on the file... To me the regular way to export in a format different from .5gd is click the export button in the plugin view of the gmdc, and then choose the format in the drop-down list.

Oh, and are you aware that LithUnwrap (free) can load any obj file and and save the uv-map in any size (I choose 2048x2048 then resize in Photoshop for anti-aliasing) - and it also has a preview of the model on which you can refresh the texture between edits, very fast and convenient for seamless texturing.
simbilly305

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 07:00:05 pm »

Quote from: marvine;443613
Okay, I don't have SimPE installed at work (thank god!!) and can't check that, but I wasn't even aware that you could choose another format than .5gd when right-clicking on the file... To me the regular way to export in a format different from .5gd is click the export button in the plugin view of the gmdc, and then choose the format in the drop-down list.

Oh, and are you aware that LithUnwrap (free) can load any obj file and and save the uv-map in any size (I choose 2048x2048 then resize in Photoshop for anti-aliasing) - and it also has a preview of the model on which you can refresh the texture between edits, very fast and convenient for seamless texturing.

Mon Dieu!  I am an idiot and you are totally completely awesome for putting up with my silliness and for taking the time to gently point out the obvious to me.  Of course, you are correct Smiley  Now I want to stick my head in the sand, but at least I can finish my project in time Cheesy

I just downloaded LithUnwrap last week and will give it a try now that you've solved my little 'mystery'.  I did not know that it did previews as well.  Thank you, Marvine!
Franky

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:58:22 pm »

Hey Billy,

If you need any meshing help, I'd be glad to help out as I can make pretty much anything from clothes/hair to objects.

Which 3D programs do you use besides Bryce? (I use 3ds Max and Milkshape).

If you would like, we could schedule an online conference where I could guide you. If you can't export SimPE meshes in any format, I suggest downloading the latest version and install Nvidia DDS utilities if you haven't done so already.

Take care,

*hugs*
Franky Smiley
Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:06:32 am »

Lol, from the resource list it's "extract".  "Export" is from inside the plugin Cheesy

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: