Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 06:02:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Paintings - Anne of Cleves  (Read 4745 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
alexasrosa

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:45:05 am »

Hi

guess what... another painting :lol:

Anne of Cleves, c1539 by Hans Holbein the Younger

It was on the basis of this portrait that Henry VIII chose her as his wife.
Holbein was clearly capable of much better work, and so the question must be - why did he produce such a lifeless portrait? Clearly, he was a court painter but he was also a diplomat.

He had very little time to produce the portrait and had to show his prepatory sketches and the finished work to the duke of Cleves and his courtiers. If he felt a lifelike portrait of Anne would be unflattering, he would have felt pressure to change it - hence, the anonymous portrait he did produce. But he was also forced to consider his role as court painter to Henry VIII.

Holbein knew that a misleading or false portrait would anger the English king. Forced into a diplomatic corner, the artist tactfully chose to create an unassuming portrait of a woman neither beautiful nor ugly, respectfully attired and with a modest gaze.

He hoped to offend no one - but, of course, Henry VIII felt terribly deceived and Holbein would receive no more important commissions from the king. :sign5:

TechicalDetails:

Costume Mesh: sim2-fashion.de http://www.sim2-fashion.de/datenbank/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=722

Hair Mesh: Hair PrincessLeia Remix - by the great Kavar
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=29177

* af_AnneCleves by alex.zip (647.21 KB - downloaded 291 times.)
* f_AnneClevesHair.zip (900.5 KB - downloaded 271 times.)

* AnnedeCleves.jpg (193.77 KB, 568x718 - viewed 673 times.)

* AnneFull.jpg (146.75 KB, 505x771 - viewed 724 times.)

Rainnee1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:20:17 am »

oh...looks great...but the women in painting looks older then the women with your created clothes xDDD

I want to go so let me die....I'm leaving now so say goodbye...
kathy
TRAITOR

Rotten traitor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:42:21 pm »

Fantastic job!
yoda258

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:14:53 pm »

Great job.  Love all the detailing.  thanks.
Cathy

Call me Annie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 09:31:10 pm »

Quote from: Rainnee1;443755
oh...looks great...but the women in painting looks older then the women with your created clothes xDDD

Maybe it's becuase Anne of Cleves wasn't the most beautiful woman in the world.....but she sure was kind...

I used to be Nyxie
jjsmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 07:38:13 am »

lovely and
Maybe it's becuase Anne of Cleves wasn't the most beautiful woman in the world.....but she sure was kind...
personally, i'd rather be pretty Cheesy

The AA needs you
don't take life too seriously. you never get out of it alive :tongue5:http://iratebermy.tripod.com/
FJPerez

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 08:41:12 am »

Dear Alexas: I'm with Rainnee: you've done a very great favour to the memory of Anne of Cleves.
And, like always, what a fantastic work!!!!!!
Sheol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 09:58:49 am »

She was the cleverest of Henry's wives... when he said he wanted to get divorced she agreed with him instantly (she knew what had happened to his former wife Anne Boleyn... better to get divorced than beheaded! Sad ).
Anyway, he wasn't harsh with her -he had been fooled about her beauty and knew it wasn't her fault- and after the divorce he gave her many castles and palaces in England, where she lived as a rich princess for the rest of her life, being the last of Henry's wives to die.

An amazing work, alexasrosa, I really love the costume and the hairdo! Smiley

Weird techniques and incredible power... this girl's not just nobody! WHO THE H3LL ARE YOU?! :evil5:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: