Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 12:24:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: *Possibly resolved--Spontanious reboot  (Read 8352 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006, 03:50:26 am »

I've seen a couple of threads here that are similar to my problems, but I thought I'd go ahead and make a new one. Sorry for that if it turns out to be the same thing.

My problem is that I start up the game, load a household and play for a few minutes (sometimes 5 minutes or so, but the last time was about 20-30 minutes), and then the computer reboots itself. I log back in, and an error message pops up telling me there was a serious error. These are screenshots of the error message.

The first pic...I found the file and moved it to my desktop (didn't delete it out of fear of messing something up). Second one I didn't even try.

Any ideas? This is a brand spanking new gaming computer. I don't know all the specs, but I can find that out tomorrow (later today I guess lol) when my husband is awake. He knows that stuff, and I'm just a dumb chick. Wink I really hope I can get this fixed because the main reason he bought me this new computer is to play the Sims. Please help! I'll bake you some cookies! lol

**see my last post

*attached image removed*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:30:57 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Growing old is inevitable. Growing UP is optional!
karialSim's Krazy Kreations
unclesparks
Super Mod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 04:19:55 am »

Kari,

When I rebuilt my computer a few months ago I had the exact same problem.  I could play for seconds or hours and *wham!* reboot.  The problem persisted for several days and then went away and never came back.

I'm trying to think. I thought it was the video cards doing it. I have dual BFG Geforce cards (256MB RAM each) and one was bad when I got it and I had all sorts of problems getting them to work in tandem, but I think that ultimately it was a bad USB port that was causing it (short maybe?).  I got a 1.1 usb light on a flexible cord a job expo and it worked great, but when I filled up the other 3 usb ports with flash drives and my dvd burner the computer went berzerk.  When I removed the light and only used certain ports the problem stopped.

It may have been purely coincidental that it behaved at the same time I removed it, but check your USB ports and remove everything and see if the problem persists.  If not, then add them back until it comes back and you'll know where the problem is.  If it persists without anything in the usb ports, then i don't think I can help you on this Kari.

Good luck.
JayAngel
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 12:07:53 pm »

The good old spontaneous reboot Cheesy  I'm sure you've got the latest video drivers installed.  Have you run Chkdsk to make sure all files are present and correct?  And you could try downloading CrapCleaner from here - the issues section finds anything causing problems but it's wise to make a backup before dealing with the issues.

VISIT ME HERE AT INSIMENATOR: JAY'S HOME FOR FALLEN ANGELS
OR HERE AT MY SITE: AFTER MIDNIGHT SIMS 2
Whether angels or devils pursue me
In the dark I cannot tell...

Dinki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:24:59 pm »

Hehe Jay Smiley

I had similar problem and running that issues thingie that Jay recommends seems to help,

I still wonder though why was it happening - my compie was rebooting when I put any cd in the cd-rom...

Won't you come into the garden?
I would like my roses to see you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »

I'll check and make sure my video drivers are the latest, and check the other stuff. It was custom built though, and brand new so there shouldn't be any errors.
Here's the specs

graphics- dual nVidia 7600 GT, SLI mode 512MB each

MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:35 pm »

Ok silly suggestion maybe but did you made sure your power supply is powerful enough for all the stuff you have?
unclesparks
Super Mod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:34:49 pm »

MisDoh,  I got a 550w to power everything and then bought a 350w UPS. D'oh!

Kari, I built my computer from scratch with all new parts, and I had the same problem.  Custom built new is only as good as the hardware, software, and builder. And the fickle-finger-of-fate of course. Since you went the SLI route same as me, are there any parts that are NOT SLI compatible?  I got the MB, video cards, case, and power supply all SLI compliant.  I don't think I got the RAM compliant because it was twice the cost. MisDoh makes a valid point though. SLI requires more power (so they say) and you have very powerful video cards, requiring lots of power.
karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 09:21:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure my husband bought a new power supply thing, but not positive. I'll ask him later. He had a headache caused by our monster children LOL and went to bed. I do know he was talking up getting an UPS too, but he hasn't done that yet.

But that makes me wonder. I have most of the graphics settings in the game turned up higher now since I figured the new 'puter could handle it. Could that cause this problem? The refresh setting in the game is still set at 60 too.

BTW, I started the game up again just a little while ago, and it did the same thing. I have no problems in the neighborhood screen, or in CAS. Just while actually playing. At least I can still make clothes and test them. LOL

karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 12:27:06 am »

Update. I ran the crap cleaner, but still having the same problem. So, I'll keep trying stuff. I'm starting to get really bummed. The whole purpose of this new computer is my game.

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:20:59 am »

When I first got my new computer, I had a problem with the game stopping at random points when running Pets.  It was some built in nVidia board;  I can't remember the model now but it had 256 mb memory.  I then pulled my ATI card from the computer that stopped on me, installed it and have had no problems since.

Assuming you can't exchange the vid cards, I'd try stepping back a driver or two rather than the lastest.  You might lose some whistles and bells, but you didn't buy that computer to hear a band, but play the game Cheesy
karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:48 am »

Thank ancient. Husband is awake now, and he's going to install earlier drivers now. We'll see.

wiccadwitch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 01:57:28 am »

I am having the same problem. I have a good system and just recently completely formatted and reinstalled my OS. After doing so I made sure to get all my updated drivers for all my hardware. I was having the issue prior to the format and was hoping that a clean system with all updated drivers would help. It didn't. Whats really depressing is I inevitably lose time when it happens. I save once maybe twice and then it will happen. Once it happend while I was saving. Anyway I am trying to clear out my downloads folder some in the hopes that that will help. I am thinking perhaps the shear size of it might be contributing to the problem.
Just a question but is your downloads folder large? Mine is huge...I am actually a bit embarrassed to admit how huge. I am such an addict.
Speaking of cleaning my downloads folder out does anyone know if there is an app out there for the sims2 that you can run and delete files in that will tell you if those files are being used in your game or not? Basically thats my biggest problem with trying to get rid of some of my extraneous crap. I am afraid that the objects/hairs/eyes/skins/ etc... might be being used by someone or some thingand that when I delete them it will mess up a lot or a sim. Generally when I make custom sims I lik them and would not like to have them inadvertantly altered by a deletion of some genetic they were using. So an app that would warn me I was about to get rid of something that was being used would be really nice.
Back to the issue at hand I really do think my problem stems at least partially from my giant downloads folder(okay, okay it is currently like 10.4 gigs I am so ashamed). I think it just bogs down my system when I run the game and eventually due to lack of system resources wham spontaneous reboot. Of course i definately could be(and probably am) wrong but it is my current theory none the less. Oh I have over 300 gigs of harddrive space my OS drive is partitioned and is only like 42 gigs. I have a 2.5 gigahertz processor, ati radeon pro 9800 with 256 vid ram, 1 gig(yes two matched sticks) of dual channel ram. So my system while not top of the line does not suck.
karialSim
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 03:21:17 am »

It has happened to me while saving too. In fact it did the last time, but I haven't loaded the game again yet to see if it actually DID save. My download folder is close to 7gig I think, but I'm sure there are plenty of people with alot more than you and I have. I'm a download addict too!

Love your idea for a program! That would be great! I've got a lot of stuff I could easily get rid of, but I'm afraid to do it. And I can't always tell what is what with clean installer.

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:24:05 am »

Wicca, I think you're on your own as far as determining what you are using or not.  I've heard of no program that can tell you.

In your case, the size of the downloads could be the problem.  In addition to weeding out some of that unused stuff, you might consider adding more RAM to your system.  I just recently picked up 2 gb for $99 a gig, so it's really not outrageous.  If fact I think that's a damn good price Cheesy
wiccadwitch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 04:23:05 am »

maybe someone will make such a program...just for download addicts who are afraid to delete content for fear of messing with in game sims and lots.
One can dream cant one?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: