Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 10:15:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Dreams: The Present Day - Project Abandoned (lack of interest)  (Read 15179 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:59:15 pm »

Preface

Hello, it's me again. Apologies for my first attempt at posting this opening up a can of worms - all I'll say about that is, when you've dated a sixteen year old at twenty and a half, the line becomes a little blurred.

But anyway, after thinking of a way to get round the problem, I decided to make the adult a teen instead - in fact, even though I've had to re-write parts of it to accomodate, overall it makes for a better storyline Cheesy During the editing process I got carried away and changed the first three chapters too, since I wasn't that happy with them in the end.

So with no further fuss, I present to you all an improved, less controversial Broken Dreams, now with more chapters and a bigger initial posting binge Wink
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:13:12 am by Sadie79 » Logged

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:22:38 pm »

Well, they say everyone has a story to tell about their life. So here goes – there's certainly enough material here to keep me going for a very long time. I could think of better content for my first novel, but then what better inspiration to draw on than your own life?

My name's Evan Turilli, and I'm fifteen. Well, I was last time I checked, anyway...

Before I get too carried away, allow me to introduce the rest of my family; those I live with anyway, since they're just as important to this story. Especially this guy:

This is Luca, my Dad. He's fifty five there – doesn't look it, does he? Something you'll find out very quickly about this town we live in; it's weird. I'm not sure who it was, but someone discovered this elixir of youth, and since it got made readily available, everyone's been supping it like water. Including Mum when she needed it:

She was a little younger there, and so was I – that's me in her arms. My twin sister Amy is being held by a young Johan, or Joe as we call him. I think he was about sixteen then; pretty young to be delivering babies, but that's what he ended up doing. He also has a twin sister called Diana, and they left for University when we were growing up, so I don't remember them much, more hearsay from my parents. One of whom we share, but in different ways; without getting too technical, Luca has been a father to me and a mother to him. Nature may have never intended for men to grow babies inside them, but that never stopped aliens finding a way to make it happen.

So welcome to Alpinloch; home to a growing litter of half-aliens, adults who don't age... and, more importantly, vampires. Grand Vampires lurk in a busy outskirt town close to Sim City, and it all started when a man and his twin sister moved here quite a long time ago. Kieran and Erin, their names are. The spooky thing is, she looks just like Mum. Darker dressed maybe; both twins like to dress like that, but Kieran took it a stage further when he got friendly with one of the Grand Vampires. He was always fascinated by them, so when she sired him he saw it as a great honour. Erin meanwhile preferred the human life.

Trouble is though, although they're twins, their mentalities are completely different. Erin settled with someone called Manuel and went on to raise a very large family with him. Kieran on the other hand likes to add notches to his bedpost, male or female. One of his lovers is a man called Alex, one of those people you only have to look at to realise you don't mess with him... and Manuel's brother. Another significant part of the story, indirectly; you see, Alex is a friend of the family. Both Mum and Dad are into all sorts of strange things, from giving birth to aliens right through to experiencing what it is to be a vampire. Alex feels the same way, and made that clear to the first vampire to stalk Alpinloch's nights. He soon became the second.

He invited Mum over one night. She let her curiosity get the better of her, and came back very different in the small hours of the next day. We were all taken aback at first, but apart from her needing to sleep during the day instead of the night, there wasn't really any other difference. She didn't eat with us, although she did try at first. When she realised that, no matter how polite she tried to be, there was no getting round the fact she needed another diet, she would just sit with us for a while, enduring the smell of food to give us some quality time before tending to herself. She'd even started cooking us breakfast at about ten to six, so by the time we were up and getting ready for school, the aroma of omelette teased our senses as we came down the stairs.

Dad, although naturally curious about the idea, was happy to stay human, however he'd often ask her what it was like. As Amy and I got older we began to show an interest too, and despite her refusing to glamorise, the whole idea was becoming more and more appealing to me. Just like it had Joe, who she'd ended up indulging at his graduation party. I hadn't seen him for a long time, so it was left to my imagination to attempt to envisage how he looked nowadays.

I was pushing fourteen when it really started. We began to notice wolves taking an interest in our surroundings, and being the animal lovers we all are, none of us could resist ruffling their fur. Wolves are supposed to be fearsome beasts, but all I could think of them was how cute they all were. We even started to give them names; Rags, Tiffany... There was one wolf who showed up occasionally however - Dad christened him Balin – who despite being affectionate, I felt distinctly uneasy around, and whenever I saw him I'd slink upstairs to my room. There was something about his glowing eyes that gave me a sense of foreboding. It wasn't nice, and I felt wary whenever I saw Dad petting him.

One night I went downstairs after feeling confident that the black wolf had gone, but noticed the bathroom door was left slightly open. The light was on, and I spotted Dad doing something over the basin, so I went to investigate.
   “Dad?”
   He looked up, taken aback at my voice. “Oh, Evan! Hi...” So saying, he hastily swept something into the basin, and on noticing the movement I recognised contents of our first aid kit.
   “Is everything alright?” I checked, “What's happened?”
   “Nothing...” he stuttered, “Really, it's fine.”
   His shaking hands told me otherwise, however. Something had happened, and he was in shock. Dread built up inside me as I approached, my face heavy with concern.
   “Please Dad, you can tell me... something's happened, I can tell.”
   “I'm fine, really...”
   “Bulls***,” I sternly told him, “Did you get attacked?”
   His head spun sharply towards me. “Why do you say that?” he asked suspiciously.
   I couldn't help but stare back at him, suddenly feeling scared. “Your eyes...” I uttered feebly, “They've changed...”
   He then frowned. “Changed?” he checked, before looking at the mirror. “Oh good Lord, they have!”
   It was then I noticed his hand. I clasped it as I examined the bite-marks, before releasing it without warning. His hand was looking much hairier than it did earlier, and his eyes were yellow. I'm not talking an ill looking, jaundice yellow either, I mean the irises of his eyes; instead of hazel they were now a creepy yellow. And it wasn't just his hand that was more hairy, it was spreading to his arms, his face...
   “What the hell is that Balin you liked so much?!” I challenged, “Glowing yellow eyes, and now your eyes have changed too? Strange co-incidence isn't it...?”
   He frowned. “What are you...” He suddenly paused, his posture becoming rigid as he gave a pained yelp, almost as if he was trying to contain himself. It didn't last long before a full-blown scream escaped his pain-ridden being as he crumpled to the floor.

I had never felt so helpless, or so scared, in my whole life as I did that night. My eyes were fixed to the writhing heap on the floor as I slowly backed away, hands travelling to my mouth in an attempt to suppress the anguished noises I was barely aware of making. Dad's body was stretching and twisting into a different shape, and his screams were slowly becoming muffled and more animal-like. Hearing half-human snarling was what finally tore me from the bathroom and, closing the door, I sprinted outside, screaming at the top of my voice.
   “Mum!!”
   Thankfully both her and Amy were outside. But it also meant they hadn't heard either of us scream. They were soaking in the hot tub, and they looked up at me in surprise when they saw me.
   “Evan?” she remarked, getting out, “What on earth...?” I noticed Amy getting out as I struggled to calm myself, but I was shaking more than Dad had been.
   “Mum it's Dad,” I whimpered, feeling her hands on my shoulders.
   “Look, calm down... Take a deep breath. Now, what's happened?”
   My hazel eyes locked onto her red eyes as I replied gently, “Dad's a werewolf Mum, I've just seen him change...”
   “What??” Amy retorted, “Don't be...!”
   A chilling howl ripped through the night air, slightly muffled by the walls containing him, but still clearly audible. Both girls stared in horror at the house as my apparent ramblings were now proved true.
   “Oh my God!”
   “You two, stay here,” Mum commanded as she made for the back door.
   “Mum, don't!” I cried out, advancing.
   “I'm immortal, you're not,” came the harsh truth. So saying she went inside, leaving us two alone in the night. I didn't feel too safe outside either, especially if it was Balin who did this to Dad; supposing he came back for us?

The back door eventually opened again, revealing Mum coming through apparently unmarked, but that told us nothing given how vampires rapidly heal.
   “It's okay now, it's safe,” she beckoned.
   “No way,” I refused, shaking my head, “I'm not going back in there.”
   “He's got something to eat now. He'll be alright, honest.”
   Slowly I went in after Amy, and found the wolf-like being who once was my Dad devouring a plate of salmon, presumably which had been prepared by Mum. I was just glad he hadn't found our cat Angel, as we saw her slowly crawling out from under a chair later on. Poor thing must've been terrified with all that howling.
   “Dad...?” Amy checked once he'd finished. He rose from his chair and turned in the direction of her voice, his features softened as he spotted us. There was still something of him there in that ball of fur it seemed, as he slowly beckoned to me. Not Amy but me, and I guessed immediately why that was as I gingerly approached.
   “I'm sorry if I scared you earlier,” he told me gently, slipping an arm round my shoulder. I flinched involuntarily, not knowing whether or not I could yet trust him, but as he began to stroke my hair and pull me closer, it slowly sank in that all he wanted was a cuddle. I began to wonder which of us was more frightened as we clung to each other.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:31:57 pm »

Over time, Dad began to change. Not just physically, he did that every evening, but it seemed every time that happened a little more of his true self was lost. His affection, his sensitivity, all those things I'd loved him for and was even exhibiting myself, were slowly fading from him. At least that's how it seemed to me. The others seemed to either not notice or not mind, so I decided to brush my initial misgivings aside for now. That was until my half-alien half-brother invited us to his wedding – Amy and I were about fourteen and a half by then.

Now, this was a man whose graduation gift was immortality, something I learned he'd passed onto who would now be his bride. With two vampires getting married, and whose guests included the groom's embracer, the wedding had to be in the evening. Ironically it was booked for Hallow e'en night; something to do with a mixture of his dry humour and her outright silliness. Nevertheless, knowing what we now knew, we were in for one hell of a ride that night.

Mum had commandeered Dad's car for the evening, since once the moon was out he'd be in no state to drive. I wished it was me sat in the front instead of him; despite us all now used to seeing him change, I was still far from happy having to watch.
   “Five minutes later than the last time you checked,” Mum replied dryly, after I checked my watch for the umpteenth time.
   “Yeah yeah,” I grumbled. I couldn't help it – I was nervous, and the cathedral they'd booked was still nowhere in sight. I tried several times to try and picture the happy couple instead, since I had no idea what she looked like, and only a vague picture of him as a teenager. The fact it was Hallow e'en busied my imagination even more as my mind's eye attempted to envisage the clothes they'd chosen.
   “It'll be fine!” came Dad's cheery voice, “How about some music?”
   “Oh yes please,” I eagerly agreed, not only to take my mind off what was coming, but also in the hope it would drown out his screams. The opening bars of Kinslayer blared through the speakers and we all cheered – our parents' taste in music was infectious. I was inwardly pleased when Dad turned up the volume and our singing had to grow louder to compete, although even that wasn't enough.
   “Aaaahh!!”
   I stifled a groan as my gaze lowered. I wasn't in the mood to watch that evening.

When we pulled up, they were already outside and waiting for us. I hastily got out of the car as Dad lay slumped against the back of his seat, and Mum went foraging for the huge pack-up he now needed. When I spotted them however, they were a welcome distraction indeed as I approached; I don't know what I was expecting, but the clothes they chose were beautiful! I didn't know where to look for the best on seeing her, but one look at his red satin shirt and I was hooked.

“Wow, Joe!” I greeted, “You look great!”   
“Thanks!” he grinned in reply, revealing elegant fangs. “We don't usually dress like this, but given the occasion...”
   I chuckled. “Oh, you should see Mum these days,” I replied, “Where did you get that shirt?”
   “I don't think it comes in your size,” came the sad news, “How are you, anyway?”
   “Oh,” I half-smiled, “Could be better...”
   He frowned. “Why, what's wrong?”
   “It's Dad... well, your Mum, he...”
As if on cue, the others got out of the car. I looked apologetically back at him as I noticed the look of horror on his face.
   “What the...?!” he began, before they came over. He adopted a different look as he folded his arms, a teasing expression on his face.
   “Hi Joe!” came the happy greeting. Joe, understandably, wasn't so amused.
   “Look Mum,” he replied, “I know it's Hallow e'en, but isn't this a little extreme?!”

I left them to their banter as more cars pulled up, and the street became more and more crowded. I recognised the lad in the white jacket as my nephew Karl, and we had a good chat before we got called in. It wasn't all pleasant however, as he noticed the well-toned beast walking back towards the crowd after talking with Joe.
   “Who is that?!” he spluttered.
   I nervously cleared my throat. “That's Dad,” I confessed. Karl eyed me in disbelief; I guess I would too if I'd been told my Granddad was a werewolf.
   “I beg your pardon?”
   I raised an eyebrow, trying to make light of the situation. “Welcome to life as a Turilli,” I remarked dryly.
   “Come on Evan, this isn't funny!” he spat. This coming from someone who was more of a clown than his father – normally, anyway – was enough for me to drop the act myself.
   “Yeah, tell me about it(!)” I retorted, “I've been living with it, imagine how I feel!” Without realising my voice had raised, and I sheepishly lowered my head. “Sorry,” I muttered.
   “No, I'm sorry,” Karl apologised, “It's just a shock, that's all.”
   “Yeah, I know,” I said, before noticing the crowds disperse. “Better get inside I s'pose.”
   “Look,” he offered as we moved off, “If you ever need to talk...”
   I smiled gratefully as we walked down the aisle to our seats. “Thanks,” I accepted, “That'd be great.”   

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:39:06 pm »

“And with this ring, I thee wed...”
I barely noticed when it was over; I was too busy struggling to stem the flow of tears. I know, it's stereotypical to cry at a wedding, but I couldn't help it. In fact, looking about me it became clear soon enough that I needn't bother fighting, so out it came.
   “You are a soppy sod, huh?”
I looked up to see Marco; Karl is the spitting image of him. Aside from one important difference, however...
   I chuckled at the sight of his glassy red eyes. “Oh sure,” I replied, “Look at you!”
   “I know, I know,” he smiled as he self-consciously dried his eyes. We then both gave a surprised yelp as we came close to having a heart attack; a very loud yet familiar noise had reverberated through the building.
   “What the...?” Marco questioned, but I was now glaring at the source of the sound.
   “Dad!!” I growled, turning to face him, “If you're gonna do that, go somewhere else!”
   Dad looked about him, noticing more and more people staring at him. “Oh very well,” he complied as he sloped off.
   “That's Luca?!”
   I looked back at Marco with a raised eyebrow. “Yep, that's my Dad,” I admitted.
   “Okay...” he remarked, before starting to move off. “Come on, don't want to miss the cake do we?”
   A mischievous glint appeared in my eye as I followed. “Oh no!” I agreed, rubbing my hands together in eager anticipation. As I stepped outside I noticed Dad talking with a man with long, very curly brown hair.
   “Who's that?” I asked.
   “Oh Adrian?” Marco replied, “He's your new brother-in-law.”

Now there’s someone who enjoys cleaning!
I watched the groom disappear with the cake stands, smiling to myself - Amy’s the same as far as cleaning goes. I went back to what was left of my cake and my networking before suddenly feeling glad Joe was the tidy type – was that the sound of someone fighting I could hear?
   “Dad!” I heard someone shout, “Stop it! Please!?”

A feeling of dread built up inside, and I felt my stomach churn as I slowly turned towards the source of the scuffle. A hand clamped over my mouth as my eyes picked out the bundle of fur who answered to my name of “Dad.” I was mortified – was this really the same man who spawned me?!

Once it was all over I purposely strode over to him.
   “What did you think you were doing?!” I exploded.
   Dad folded his arms in reply, cockily I thought. “He asked me to,” he told me.
   Okay, fine. But there’s just one little problem…
   “At your son’s wedding?” I challenged.
   “It’s Hallow e'en!” came the innocent reply, “It was as much his idea…!”
   “It’s a family wedding!” I repeated, “Doesn’t that mean anything? Couldn’t you wait?!”
   “It’s also during the evening,” he reminded, “If we’d left it any later I’d be back to normal. So no.”
   I sighed angrily to myself, grateful that werewolves aren’t telepathic.
   Now which of us is meant to be the immature one here? I’m fourteen, and I’m the one who thinks savaging someone at your son’s wedding is tactless! Especially when it’s the bride’s brother!
   I walked away, trying valiantly to not let it get to me that much – it wasn’t my problem, after all. But then in a way it was; if Dad wasn’t the one who’d been bitten by that wolf, and he’d seen someone else tear into someone on their son’s wedding, he’d have reacted in the same way as I had. Maybe that’s where I got it from, I don’t know. All I knew at the time as I left him was, he just wasn’t the same any more, that was certain now. And it was starting to tear me apart.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:49:39 pm »

School became a real struggle. Sometimes I’d confide in Karl about my troubles, since we grew up together at school. At first he listened, but as time wore on he became distracted. Now he had his own problems, and the reason I listened, apart from returning the favour, was to remind myself that I wasn’t the only one with troubles.

His Mum is Jeanette, a sister of mine I met at the wedding. Marco's his Dad (hence his looking so much like him) and my meeting with him, as brief as it was, was enough for me to see why. Marco’s a lovely guy, and Karl takes after him a lot. Jeanette’s nice too, but she struck me as insecure – I could think of no other reason why she liked to sleep around as much as she did. But long after both of them became vampires themselves, Karl was now worried about the state of his parents’ relationship.
   “Dad wanted to be sired for a reason,” he explained, “He’s been doubting Mum’s feelings for him lately, and from what I’ve noticed these days the verdict isn’t good.”
   “Ouch,” was the best I could offer.
   “Yeah, exactly,” came the reply. From watching him I started to wonder if, just by being a Turilli, he’d inherited Dad’s past over-sensitive ways. Just like me, Gino… even Joe and Carlos had, I heard. But why not the girls? They were either bordering on indifferent, or as Jeanette was starting to be, a bitch! It wasn't anything to do with Mum, since Joe's twin Diana was the same.
   “I’m starting to wish I could hear thoughts myself,” I remarked, “Dad’s driving me crazy lately, and Mum is by not noticing!”
   “She may be noticing more than you think,” he offered.
   “If she is she doesn’t care,” I grumbled, “That incident at the wedding just took the p***.”
   “Try talking to her,” he said, “It’s the only way you’ll find out for yourself.”
   “Yeah, s’pose.”

I couldn’t wait when I got home. After checking my watch and satisfied that Dad would be in bed by now, I went upstairs, slung my exercise book down somewhere, and rapped my knuckles hard on the lid of Mum’s bed.
   The coffin opened and Mum sat upright, resting her arms on the sides. “Hi Evan,” she smiled, before frowning, “Something wrong?”
   “I need to talk to you,” I replied simply, moving away from the coffin so she could get out. We ended up going in my room; I felt safer talking in there.

“What’s up?”
   I came straight to the point. “Have you noticed anything strange about Dad these days?”
   Her mood dropped. “Honestly?” she began, “I can’t put my finger on it, but…”
   My ears pricked up. “But?” I encouraged.
   “I’m sure he’s not the same guy any more,” she pondered, “he’s not so… in control, if that makes sense. There’s more aggression there, I’m sure of it.”
   Hallelujah!
   She stared at me with a look of concern. “What’s that supposed to mean?” she quizzed.
   Whoops. Keep forgetting that.
   “That makes perfect sense,” I answered, ignoring the habit she had of answering my thoughts as though I’d spoken them. “The way he just went for Adrian at the wedding, even though he asked for it…”
   She scoffed. “That’s been the least of my concerns lately,” she said, frowning again.
   “What do you mean?”
   “He’s lost his gentleness, I’m sure…”
   “Have you confronted him about it?”
   “Oh I’ve tried,” she sighed, “He was concerned at first, but now…”
   “…it’s like talking to a brick wall?” I finished.
   She lowered her head, and I sensed a rising sadness. “It’s so hard,” she admitted, “We’ve been together for so long; you met Gino didn’t you?”
   I nodded, wondering what connection he had with our conversation, apart from the obvious of course; Gino was Joe's best man, and my oldest brother.
   “He’s pushing thirty three now,” she told me. Indicating how long they’d been together?
   My eyes widened in surprise. “Thirty three?” I echoed, before pausing and checking my theory. I’d been right.
   “Wow,” was all I could say.
   “Exactly,” came the reply, “It gets a lot harder to end a relationship that’s gone on for that long. I have been trying to accommodate; it’s not like he can help what he is. Even if he now cured himself he couldn’t get his old traits back.”
   “I know,” I solemnly replied, tears welling at my eyes, “Pity.”
   “Yes, I know,” she said.

I don’t know why but all of a sudden, I began to cry. It was as though I was grieving, and that was very possible the more I think about it now. This man living with us now wasn’t the same person who’d brought about my existence nearly fifteen years ago at the time. As harsh as it sounds, it felt as though my true father had died, and someone else who looked like him had taken his place.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:55:49 pm »

Things went downhill very quickly after that. For some reason Amy managed to take it all in her stride, while Mum and I spent more time together as we shared our grief in private – if the others couldn’t notice, they were better off not seeing us when we got upset. What I couldn’t tell her though was how much my studies were suffering. Classes became little more than an excuse to meet my friends, yet I couldn’t confide in anyone; all my friends were related in some way or another to Marco, and with Jeanette being my sister the last thing they wanted was me landing my problems onto them. And the last thing I expected was for their problems to turn up on our doorstep. But that’s exactly what happened according to Mum.

The first we knew of it was when we saw Mum sat at the breakfast table one day, some time after I turned fifteen. She often sat at the table with us so we got some time with her before she disappeared upstairs to bed, so we thought nothing of it at first. Although something about her sullen manner told me something was wrong.
   She kept up the “everything’s fine” act for a while, and let us finish our food before she dropped the bombshell. They’d split up – Dad had left the night before.   
   “But why?” Amy asked. It was time for me to drop the act just as Mum had.
   “You remember all that time ago, when I asked you if it was me or had he changed?” I checked.
   “Yeah,” she replied, before pondering a little. “I’ll be honest, I really haven’t noticed much.”
   “Much?”
   She paused again for a while. “Well, okay he’s been a little different…” She frowned. “Maybe more than a little…”
   Has she been living in denial?
   “A lot more than a little,” I said, “At least to me… it’s been like a different person for a long time.” I then looked at Mum. “I’m glad you finally found it in you…”
   But Mum shook her head. “It wasn’t just you,” she confessed, “It was Marco.”
   “Marco?” I looked at her puzzled. “What does he have to do with this?”
   “He came round last night,” she explained, “He’d finally made the break from Jeanette, and he was not only upset, but also kicking himself that he hadn’t heeded our warnings – when I say “we”, I mean, not only me and your Dad, but also his uncles…”
   Remember I mentioned Erin and her large family with Manuel? Marco is part of that family, meaning his uncles are Kieran and Alex, both of whom are Jeanette’s lovers. One of them had fathered her first child; if anyone had reason to warn him away from her it was that guy. Yet he hadn’t listened, and gone with her anyway. I recalled what Karl had said about him “wanting to be sired for a reason.” Funnily enough, it was Mum who did the honours.
   “We had a talk,” she continued, “The subject of our marriage came up…” At this she paused awkwardly for a moment, at which I frowned.
   “Go on,” I coaxed her.
   “At that point I was picking up strange feelings from him,” she told us, “He thought he loved Jeanette when all the time, I found out, it wasn’t real love at all.”
   “How do you know?”
   She eyed us apologetically as she struggled to answer. “Because he loves me,” she stuttered, tears welling at her eyes, “I don’t know how long this has been going on for, but it all came out last night.”
   I suddenly didn’t like where this was going. But before long the bus arrived, and Amy made Mum promise to carry on when we got back. As Amy moved off and beckoned for me to follow however, I couldn’t find the will to move.
   “You go,” I told her softly, “Send my apologies to the teachers, I just can’t face them today.”
   Amy looked towards Mum, but she just nodded her approval.
   “I’ll gladly write a note for them if I have to,” she said, “Catch you later.”
   As Amy shrugged and left, I slumped into my hands. “I’m sorry Mum,” I mumbled through my hands, “if it weren’t for everything else I’d be happy for you…”

I felt her arm round my shoulder as I continued to make sense of everything.
   “I know,” she said, “I’m not expecting anything from you right now; just remember I’m not trying to replace your Dad with someone else okay? Marco’s a different person, but he’s just as much a gentleman as he was. That’s what drew me to him in the first place.”
   The words washed over me in a haze. It was one thing finally making the break from Dad, but another entirely when it took Marco’s affections for her to do it.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 05:07:36 pm »

Dark pictures alert! >_<

With no one to turn to, I began to skip lessons on a regular basis, choosing instead to lock myself in my room. I tried to keep a diary but it only helped to a degree, and my social life was suffering; I couldn’t face anyone, as all I’d do was bring them down with me, and despite myself I didn’t want that. Any thought about my future flew out of the window – forget studies, I couldn’t even focus on a book or TV. Music was often playing from my stereo, and more often than not I’d just lay back on my bed and drift into a trance as the melodies filled my ears.

I couldn’t sleep either. But after hearing the front door close one night, and not for the first time, something in me jolted me from my bed, and before I knew what I was doing I was fully dressed and slinking out of my room, hoping to not disturb my sleeping sister as I too crept out the front door and into the night.

I had to swear the taxi driver to secrecy, but it was worth it. I found this bar that played my kind of music, and nervously stepped inside, smiling to myself as I began to absorb the atmosphere. There were adults as far as I could see, unfamiliar adults, which after everything was what I needed. After approaching the bar and ordering a soft drink, I retreated to a table and began to sip at it, sometimes looking about me in awe of the place. It certainly looked like fun, something I hadn’t felt in the mood for in a long time.

“Hello.”
   Mm? What?
My head turned in the direction of the gentle voice, and for a moment I was transfixed. This girl with red eyes was staring down at me, the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. She was about my age - which took me by surprise - and wore this gorgeous black velvet dress, with long black hair that cascaded over her shoulders. Her skin was pale, but the make-up she wore complemented it nicely. What with Joe’s wedding outfit and now this, I was fast developing a taste for this kind of attire.

On seeing me however, she frowned. “So late for a youth such as yourself to be out, is it not?” she asked.
   Ignoring the question, I became bemused. “You speak different,” I observed curiously.
   “I have been around for a very long time,” she smiled, “I believe you refer to such times as “The dark ages,” or “medieval” times.”
   Wow, that long?
   What with her apparent longevity and her red eyes, I just couldn’t help but ask. “Are you a vampire?” I checked, already sure in my answer.
   She merely nodded in reply, re-igniting the fascination I’d always had.    “Cool!”
   That explains why it's okay for her to be out here.
   “It has its advantages and disadvantages,” she told me, “much like any other state of life.”
   I scoffed as my heart sank once again. “Like being a werewolf?” I replied bitterly.
   “I presume you refer not to yourself?”
   I shook my head, and summarised Dad’s new life as best I could, already feeling a little better. Finally, someone I could talk to, and she didn’t know me either. That in itself was wonderful.
   “He becomes an animal at night, it is to be expected is it not?” she asked when I’d finished.
   “If it was only night time I could understand it,” I explained, “But during the day?!”
   “Daytime also?”
   I sullenly nodded, and she paused for a moment. Before long though, the conversation changed.
   “Beg your pardon,” she apologised, before offering a hand, “I am Emily. And you are?”
   I smiled as I gave her my name, shaking her hand and marvelling at her tender touch. Her skin was like silk, her elegant fingers decorated with a black nail polish.
   “A charming name,” she remarked. I couldn’t help but chuckle as I felt my cheeks beginning to burn.
   “Thanks,” I smiled, before returning the favour. “So’s yours.” I meant it too.
   “Why thank you,” came the reply, before she changed the subject back to what I’d told her before. “My mother met a woman some time ago, she said she was married to such a person…”
   I only knew of two werewolves in town, so I checked with her who the woman was. On finding it was Mum she was talking about the topic switched to her, and I explained the position with her, so relieved that she was listening without passing the same judgement one of my friends would. As my mood plummeted again she laid a hand on my arm, and in my state of mind I reached to clutch hold of it for support. She responded by returning the grip on my hand, and it became an outlet; all the pain within me rose to the fore again, and in the company of someone new I finally had a release. I clasped her hand like my life depended on it, for as far as I was concerned it did.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:23:50 pm »

Same as before - some pictures are a little too dark, sorry about that >_<

I got to bed later than usual that night, and as a result slept in until long after Amy had left and Mum had gone to bed. I had the house to myself not for the first time, but as before I didn’t do much with it. I turned on the stereo in my room, and ended up writing the past night’s events into my diary.

“She may be a creature of the night, but she has the warmest touch I’ve ever known, inside as well as out. Being able to talk to her in that way was just the tonic I’d been looking for, and I really hope I can see her again. Not just to talk heavy stuff, in fact I don’t want it to centre around that all the time, but I thoroughly enjoyed her company last night, more so than I did with other friends of the same age as me. Why that is I don’t know…”

I decided to leave it there, as I began to ponder that question for myself. Why was that? I didn’t really fancy any of the other girls either; don’t get me wrong, they’re all really nice looking. But I wasn’t interested romantically in any of them. As for the guys… all they seemed to talk about were superficial things, like what was on the TV last night, who’s winning at what, not to mention the biggy for all teenage guys; sex. Or rather, wondering what it’s like. I don’t know why it’s such a big deal for them. Maybe that’s why I enjoyed last night so much, talking with someone who'd been around so long about different things, even if she did look out for me more like a parental guardian would. I guess in those times you had to grow up quickly.

That night, again I lay up in bed waiting for the front door to close, and spent about an hour doodling into my diary to allow for Mum to ride off to her beauty spot. I checked my watch after a while.
   One thirty in the morning. Should be safe now.
Jumping up from my bed, I crept out of my room and the house as again, I called the taxi. I sighed to myself as I peered into the window; it was the same driver.
   “Again?” he greeted.
   “Hey, I live for the nights these days,” I replied as I got in.

As I stepped inside the bar again, I looked about myself for a different reason, scanning the bodies before me for signs of that beautiful black dress. I beamed as I spotted her, and she came across. It was as though she’d been looking for me too.

“Hello Evan,” she smiled.
   “Hi Emily,” I replied, “Was kinda hoping you’d be here.”
   “Me too,” she confessed.
That did take me by surprise. Mind you, we got on so well the night before, maybe she enjoyed my company too. She even bought me a drink, but refused to make it alcoholic. She let me try some of hers, but that was as far as it went. Still, we had a good chat together, and it wasn’t heavy this time thankfully.

After about a week of this, a conversation we had about clothes got me thinking. The following day, again I slept in, with the house to myself by the time I woke. Only this time I had plans, and they involved going out so I had to be careful in my movement. And this time when I called the taxi it was during daylight hours, so the driver (someone else!) had no cause for suspicion. Apart from “why wasn’t I at school” of course…
   “It’s all legit,” I told him, and I wasn’t lying, “Mum phoned the school saying I needed some time off.” It was the truth too, she’d done that the first time I’d told Amy she’d be going alone.
   “And now you’re heading out?”
   “It’s the first time I’ve wanted to in weeks,” I told him, still not lying. He said nothing about the nights.

In fact this was the next step in my recovery. The first was meeting up with Emily, now as I browsed the clothes store I was set on finding something better for myself. If I was drawn to outfits like Joe’s shirt and Emily’s dress, why was I still wearing this?
   “Our attire is an expression of ourselves,” she’d said, “We are at our happiest in clothes that we can truly feel wonderful in, that tell the truest tale about the person inside.” She’d then played with the sleeve on my jumper. “This does tell a lot about you; safe clothing that displays maturity, yet you hide something, both from the world and yourself.”
   “What’s that supposed to mean?”
   “If you are drawn to a style, then embrace it,” she’d told me, “Release your inner passions, even if it is only through clothing; you will feel much relief from doing so.”

When the shopkeeper asked what I was looking for, I summarised that conversation while claiming my friend was someone I knew at school.
   “And right she is,” she said, “If you’re here for a change don’t hold back, just go for what pulls you in the most.”
   I smiled and nodded, before looking around. It didn’t take long for me to find a better pair of trousers, but for shirts the choice wasn’t great. A lot of them were either an acquired taste or downright awful. In fact one top I found at first fit into the second category.
   Fishnet sleeves?! Eww!
After browsing some others though, I don’t know why but something pulled me back to it. The sleeves extended into gloves, so everything from the shoulder down would be encased in a fine mesh.  

“Release your inner passions… if you are drawn to a style, embrace it…”
   Hiding from myself? Is that what I’ve been doing all this time?

This something was a part of me I didn’t even know was there. It was now crying out for me to change my style of clothes, and if that meant this shirt then so be it. It even pulled me to other such things too, to the point where I was consumed by an overwhelming desire to change when I got home.

The reflection done in this chapter mirrors my own musings, from the change of style to attitudes about teenagers and their view on life - I was a late developer Wink

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:31:48 pm »

“Oh yeah!!”
I don’t know what I looked like to some, but I didn’t care. It all just felt right, and after changing and checking how it all looked, I was glued to the mirror. It looked like a different person at first, but he was definitely happier than I’d been the past year. I had done the right thing, that was for sure, and I felt a renewed sense of confidence as I accustomed myself to the person staring back at me.

By the time I got called to dinner, reality hit for a spell. Mum dresses like that herself these days (that’s probably where I get it from!) so she just gazed at me with intrigue, but Amy…
   “What the hell is that you’re wearing?!” she spluttered.
   I merely shrugged with a smile as I sat at the table.
   “Well, it’s the first time we’ve seen him smile for a long time,” Mum observed, “If he’s happy dressed like that, leave him be.”
   “Thank you(!)” I replied.
   Amy shrugged as she began her meal.
   “It’s true though,” said Mum, her tone softened, “You have perked up lately. Maybe you can go back to school tomorrow?”
   I smiled in reply. “Yeah, maybe,” I found myself agreeing.

It seemed to have that effect on Emily too. Her eyes widened when she saw me that night, but she was also smiling so it must have gone down well.
   “Now that really is you!” she grinned.
   I laughed in reply. “Thanks,” I said as we sat down with our drinks. I ran my finger around the rim of the glass for a spell, idly eying the black painted nail move along its path.
   “Something wrong?” she asked.
   I smiled. “No,” I began before eying her, “In fact Mum said just today, how I seem to be a lot happier these days.”
   “And so you do,” she agreed. The smile on my lips grew wider and wider as I continued to gaze at her almost heavenly features.
   “Thank you,” I said simply, feeling a wave of emotion envelope me.
She merely smiled in reply, affectionately stroking my hair.

“This is gonna sound awful, but after that brief boost with changing my image, I’m starting to sink again. Not for the same reason as before, it’s worse this time… it’s Emily. I can’t stop thinking about her, I live for the nights when we can meet, and when we do lately I’m starting to feel awkward. If I’m honest I want things to go further; she’s done so much for me, and I’m growing so fond of her now it’s painful.

Is this love? I don’t know. All I know now is, I need more now than ever to see her, but now it’s more than that; I need her touch, her warmth… and I long for her kiss. I need to see her, but at the same time I need to stay away from her to stop this feeling growing more intense than it has already… but I fear it’s already too late. I often wonder if she picks up anything; vampires can hear thoughts so I’ve had to be careful, but I’m only human, so I could have let anything slip without knowing. That’s another fear I have – if she has, what must she be thinking?”

I did go back to school for another couple of weeks, but I felt myself regressing. I had to pull myself out of bed in the morning, and my friends were noticing the bags under my eyes. I had to force myself to get through the day, again not being able to concentrate – I was too tired from my late nights and muddled over my feelings for Emily. I quit my part time job and retired to my room almost as soon as I got home, sleeping for the rest of the day to gather my strength for those now essential nights. One of those nights was to change my life forever.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:12 am »

Only one dark picture this time - I've since learned to work around it Wink

Still no alcohol flowed in my direction, but I didn’t need any; I was high on the atmosphere and, more importantly, her company. We chatted, we laughed, we teased each other, but somewhere along the line that playfulness between us disappeared. As we stared at each other, even looking into each other’s eyes, it became plain as day what she truly thought of what I’d tried to play down as raging teenage hormones.

The tension became unbearable as I realised there really was a chance for things to develop. She was trying to fight against it, but I had to show her that it was alright, that I wanted this to happen. My eyes lowered to her arm, and I allowed my hand to travel along her forearm until it reached her hand, which I then took hold of and began to caress. I was so happy to find her returning the touch, and we just sat there for a while as we looked back at each other. I kissed her hand, but as I glanced around I felt we really needed to be by ourselves.

“Ah, this is better,” I smiled to myself as I looked around. I figured the rear of the building was our best bet, so I’d taken us both there.
   Not a soul in sight. Perfect.
Our arms slipped quickly around each other, although being so close was starting to make me nervous.
   Hold on, I’ve never done this before…
   “You are alright with this?” she asked.
   I keenly nodded, my heart racing. “I make a good pupil,” I told her with a smile.
   That seemed to be enough. She smiled back and moved closer, softly kissing my lips. My eyes closed, blocking out the world around us as finally my dream began to come true. I became grateful for being a fast learner, as things got very heavy very quickly. I grew aware of a feeling I’d never had before, and the closeness between us seemed to help, in a strange way…

When I next saw her eyes, they burned with desire. I could feel her fingers exploring my long hair, and when she spoke it was in a hushed tone.
   “Do you wish to travel back with me?” she asked.
   I couldn’t say yes fast enough.

Her home was comparatively small, but it was cosy. She offered me a drink, but I smiled as I declined.
   “Your mind’s not on drinks,” I teased as we sat down.
   She chuckled in reply. “Perhaps not,” she replied, her arm moving across my shoulder. A subtle gesture, but enough to stir our feelings again. We moved closer together, and before I knew what was happening we were locked together in a firm embrace and a passionate kiss. It didn’t end there either, in fact it was just beginning.

I would say I won’t go into further details about what happened next, as you can probably guess. Yet even during that time there was more to come, even though at the time I didn’t know it.

There were a few times when her head would dip down towards my neck, the mere sensation of her breath adding to my already intense feelings at the time. Sometimes she’d kiss my throat too, and once she did that we were approaching the end, if you get me. Only this time it felt very different, much firmer than before, and it was enough to finish it for sure.

I’d always heard that afterwards you feel a little washed out, drained maybe, and that’s certainly how I was feeling by now. Only it felt… I don’t know… weird. In fact it was like I was about to pass out, and I might well have done, I don’t remember to be honest. I remember waking up though.

How long have we been here?
I didn’t know. I wasn’t even aware I’d been out, or remember dressing or anything. The sight of her pretty face gazing down at me was enough to soothe my thoughts however. Happy memories of previous events flooded through my mind, and I beamed widely at her as I sat up.

What’s that weird feeling in my mouth?
   “Hello,” she greeted.
   “Hey,” I replied, running a hand along her cheek. I wanted to kiss her, but her look changed.
   “You must go,” she said apologetically, “It will be daybreak soon.”
   Pardon?? Surely it’s not…
   “Daybreak…?” I checked, before looking at my watch.
   Five forty five in the morning.
   “S***!!” I gasped, suddenly in a panic, “Mum’s gonna kill me, I just know it!”
   I can’t believe I’ve left it this late! She’s bound to be back by the time I get there…!
   Although as I stood by the front door, I couldn’t help but look back at her. She smiled as she walked up to me, and we embraced again. My eyes closed as I savoured the moment, wishing we could just stop the clock. I didn’t want to leave.

“I have to say,” I said with a smile, “That was the most amazing night of my life.”
   “For me also,” she replied before pecking my forehead. Reluctantly I left, feeling thankful that she was a lot closer to home than that bar. As I checked my watch along the way I broke into a run, faster and faster, willing the front of my house to materialise. It did sooner than I thought, although for some reason I hadn’t noticed the exertion. Was I really running or merely striding? Or had I just become super-fit lately?

No requests please
jjsmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:44:02 pm »

umm.... whoops? :oogle:

The AA needs you
don't take life too seriously. you never get out of it alive :tongue5:http://iratebermy.tripod.com/
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 01:29:26 pm »

Indeed Wink Nice to know there's an interest Smiley

Having got home, I was faced with the task of trying to make my entrance with as little noise as possible. After delicately unlocking the door and opening it, I crept inside and struggled to gently close the door, before locking it and creeping across the hallway to my room.
   “Evan?”
   S***. I hope it’s not…
   “Evan, is that you!?”
   I looked up to see the figure in the distance. It was her alright.
   Damn, rumbled.
   “Damn right,” came the observation, “Come here.”
There was little else I could do but comply. I dragged my heels as I approached, my head lowered to avoid her accusing gaze.

“Look at me Evan.”
I reluctantly obliged, but as I did so her face fell. I suddenly felt a vice-like grip on my chin as she lifted my head upwards, staring into my eyes for some reason I right now didn’t care for.    
   “Mum!” I complained, pulling her hand away, “What’re you doing?”
   She then went into this bizarre spiel about my throwing my life away. I couldn’t help but ask what the hell she was on about.
   ‘Doesn’t he know?’
   Is it me, or did she just say that without moving her lips?
   “Know what?” I asked innocently.
   ‘Oh good God. He doesn’t know!’
   Know what??
Without answering, she seemed to become calm as she hooked an arm round my shoulder. I watched her incredibly confused as she led me into her room, and twisted my head to face the mirror on the wall.
   “Take a look,” she said simply as she did so.
   She wants me to look in the mirror?! Oh very well…

I suddenly stopped in my tracks. My heart skipped a beat or three as my eyes told my brain there was no reflection in the mirror. At all. Mum I could understand, but surely…
   Hold on, I take it I am here in front of the mirror? I’m not a ghost am I?
My hands rose to my face, lightly slapping my cheeks and feeling for my hair.
   No, I’m not a ghost. So what…?
   Hold on. That weird feeling in my mouth…

My index fingers began to poke around in my mouth, running along the edges of my incisors in opposite directions to my canines.
   I’m sure when I did my teeth this morning they weren’t that long…
My mouth fell open as I continued to stare at the mirror, the penny finally dropped.

Oh my God!!
I couldn’t believe it. She bit me? But how… when??
   “You tell me,” Mum simply said. I looked up at her, wishing I could answer. “Come on young man,” she said, leading me away, “We need to talk.”
   I wearily nodded as I followed her into the front room.

As I slumped into the sofa, my head was spinning as I tried desperately to find answers. Mum then made a little statement, interrupting my train of thought for now.
   “You know, I can only speak from experience,” she said, “but usually if a vampire bites you, you know all about it. The flesh along your throat is thinner and more sensitive, both to pain and pleasure.”
   Pleasure…?
My elbows propped up by my knees, I leaned forward to support my head in my hands. This was ringing alarm bells big time, and the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.
   I’ll bet it was then… she didn’t mean it, I know it. She wouldn’t do something like that on purpose.
   “Who’s she?”
   Oh s***… I’m dead.
   “Evan,” she nudged.
   I looked up at her with pleading eyes. “Look, I don’t want anyone in trouble,” I told her, “She never took advantage, she’d never buy me alcohol…”
   “Who’s she?”
   I sighed in resignation as I mumbled her name.
   “Who's Emily?”
   “She's from the dark ages... she said her Mum knows you.”
   “Oh, you mean Nadia?”
   Oh okay, so that's her name.
   “Yeah, that's her name,” she replied, “We met at this nightclub.”
I shook my head briskly in annoyance; this was starting to get on my nerves.

“Will you stop doing that?” I bit.
   “Sorry,” she apologised, before continuing. “It’s a little hard to miss though, it’s like you’re speaking out loud. You’ll find that out yourself very quickly.”
   My mood softened as I then realised, when I’d thought she’d spoken without moving her lips – she hadn’t spoken, she was thinking. I’d done the same as she had without even knowing it. Bit by bit she coaxed the whole sordid tale out of me, although I tried my damnedest to spare her the worst of it. But I blundered.
   “We were just friends, honest,” I told her, hoping to alleviate her concerns. But in fact I’d made them worse.
   “Past tense?” she challenged.
   Oh hell. Is it morning yet!? I may as well step outside now and get it over with.
   “Don’t be silly.”   
   “I’m not!” I relented when she eyed me still in a calm manner. “Oh alright…” I carefully explained how I’d been feeling about her lately, but her next question told me I wasn’t careful enough.
   “Did you sleep with her?”
   Game’s up Evan.
   I meekly nodded, before starting to ponder aloud to myself, although also for Mum’s benefit. In my mounting anxiety I chewed at my lip, but felt something – one of my new fangs, no doubt – pierce the skin. I felt a trickle of blood, and used my tongue to wipe it away, although the taste wasn’t how I remembered it from my days of cutting myself while cooking. It had an odd tang that wasn’t at all unpleasant.
   “Welcome to vampirism,” came the dry reply, “Unless of course you want a cure…”
   Thoughts of my recent performance at school came flooding back into my mind, as well as the related emotions running high at the time. The mention of a cure was enough to strike terror into my heart for that very reason. At least now I could bide my time, get my head back together… maybe all this happened for a reason.

I couldn’t believe that with all I’d told her, she hadn’t exploded once – that woman has the patience of a saint after that. But after explaining why I didn’t want a cure, and after we hugged for a while, Mum had one more thing to say.
   “Just bear something in mind, now you’re not a boy any more,” she said.
   I raised an eyebrow as I looked up at her, waiting for her to continue.
   “Vampires are still fertile,” she reminded, “And you’re gonna be fifteen for a very long time.”

Ah yes, one of the drawbacks of being a vampire. Well, not if you’re fully grown, but it explained to me why she’d never wanted us to succumb too quickly to this lifestyle. But I had to learn the hard way; I was going to be in a fifteen year old’s body for the rest of eternity, or however long it would take me to finally lose patience and buy a cure for myself. Still, fifteen isn’t too bad. If I was only a child it would be a different story.

This ties in with my Miss Midnight posts at this point.

No requests please
Bloody_Tears

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:15:02 pm »

My god WOW!! Love it love it love it! update soon please.

"I am become Death, destroyer of worlds" Oppenheimer, taken from The Bhagavad Gita.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »

Update coming soon, I've just been taking a break from it for a bit - the picture-taking was starting to drive me nuts :lol:

Thanks for your comment though - in fact that made my day, seeing that Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 09:12:00 pm by Sadie79 » Logged

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:39 pm »

“What’s going on?”
   As Mum turned around, my eyes closed in resignation. Checking my watch confirmed it was indeed morning, and Amy was up and getting ready for school. Something that to me was now a thing of the past.
   “I’ll go order my new bed shall I?” I offered; it was bad enough getting confronted by Mum, I didn’t need it with Amy too.
   Mum shot me a knowing look, before slowly nodding. I moved quickly upstairs, feeling a little weak; nothing bad, but last night after the initial blackout passed, I felt on top of the world and full of energy. Now that energy was ebbing away, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I had to concentrate my efforts on sitting in front of the computer – there was no other way I could do this – and scan the pages of the shopping site for a coffin.
   Ooh, I even get to pick the lining colour? Hmm…that’ll do.   
I barely waited for the order confirmation page to load before I rose from my seat. I didn’t want to fall asleep in a bed and end up staying there until nightfall, so while I waited for the bed to arrive I went back downstairs, waiting until Amy had left before entering the front room.
   “Done it,” I remarked.
   Mum turned round. “Oh good,” she replied, standing up, “I’m off to bed.”
   “Yeah,” I smiled, “I’ll just doze on the sofa while I wait.”
   Nodding, she left. “See you tonight,” she said on her way.
   “Yeah, see you,” I replied as I sat down, quickly curling up on the sofa and allowing myself to drift into a quality of sleep I’d never before experienced.

It wasn’t the delivery men that woke me from my almost comatose state, but the school bus. Although when I woke there was no drowsiness; no needing to head into the kitchen for a coffee, or slumping wearily over the kitchen table as the body slowly got used to the idea of being awake. It didn’t even feel like I was asleep in fact – I was instantly alert, and the sight of the school bus outside was enough cause for me to groan. Amy was home, and to make matters worse she’d brought a friend. I recognised the long, flowing red hair a mile away too. Rowan Staropoli, one of quads and Amy’s latest flame, not that she had any before mind you. Still, it all made me wish I had time to make my getaway, but they were already inside… and heading for the front room.

“Hello stranger!”
   I looked up with a sheepish grin and gave a little wave. “Hi,” I greeted casually, smiling to myself as the look on his face changed to one of mild bewilderment.
   “Wow, look at you!” he remarked as he moved over to the sofa.
   I really hope she hasn’t told him.
I self-consciously averted my gaze as he sat next to me and began to curiously pick at my clothes. He picked up my wrist and studied my nails.
   “Black nail paint too?”
   “Yep,” I replied, pulling my hand away, “That other look just wasn’t me.”
   “Why do you say that?”
   I shrugged. “I don’t know,” I admitted, “I only started thinking about it after talking with a friend.”
   I noticed the knowing nature of her smile as she sat on the other sofa, and felt reassured that she hadn’t told him.
   Phew. Thanks Amy.
Still, it wasn’t helping with Rowan being so close. If I looked straight at him, he was bound to notice the colour of my eyes.
   “What friend is this? Not someone at school?”
   Put your fishing rod away Rowan.
   “No,” I carefully answered, “Just someone I met.”
   “Male or female?”
By glancing sideways at him, I noticed a glint in his eye as he asked.
   Don’t do this, please, don’t do this…
   I merely shrugged, trying to dismiss the question as irrelevant. “Does it matter?” I challenged.
   He paused for a spell. I felt Amy staring at me too; it seemed Mum hadn’t told her everything.
   “She’s female isn’t she.”
   “Maybe,” I shrugged.
   He then burst out laughing and playfully nudged my leg. “Whad’ya mean “maybe”?! She is isn’t she!”
Oh come on cheeks, don’t do this to me(!)

I awkwardly nursed my face, trying unsuccessfully to hide my blushes.
   “Come on, who is she?” Amy pushed, “Or he?”
I smiled at the reference; when your Mum’s bisexual and your brother’s gay, you learn very quickly to keep an open mind. At least that’s how I saw it.
   “Alright, it’s a girl,” I relented.
   “Is she hot?” Rowan asked.
   Okay, we’re in laddish speak now are we?
   I nodded briskly, a widening grin appearing on my face. Predictably both of them were now making teasing noises.
   “So come on!” Rowan encouraged, “Did you get very far?”
   Oh, here we go.
   I half-shrugged, refusing to answer.
   “Is that a yes?”
   “Maybe.”
There was a significant pause. I just wanted this to be over; I was quickly learning that I’m not the kind of guy who basks in the glory of his sexual activities.
   “You did didn’t you!”
   “Please,” I eventually complained, “Will you stop it?!” In doing so I nearly forgot myself and looked straight at him, but I remembered just in time.
   “Hey it’s cool, we’re just curious,” he replied, before the gleam returned to his eye. “You’re talking to a couple of virgins here, after all,” he finished with a wink.
   I couldn’t take it any more. In a flash of frustration I sprung from my seat, striding away from them. “That’s enough!” I bit. The magic of the night before had long faded, and faced with the reality of what I’d done, I had crashed back to earth with a force that shook the ground nearby.

I felt his presence behind me, and his hand on my shoulder.
   “Something’s wrong isn’t there,” he stated, “Why won’t you even look at me?”
   I wondered when he’d notice.
   “I can’t,” I stuttered, tears trickling down my cheeks.
   “We’re meant to be friends,” he protested, “What’s happened to you?”
   My eyes stung, and I was feeling all manner of mixed up emotions concerning the night before. I snapped, and spun around to look him squarely in the eyes.
   “Too much has happened,” I began, “And I’m a male Turilli. Put the two together and you get one f***ed up kid.”
   There was a knock at the door, and Amy excused herself to answer it. Rowan glanced in her direction before looking back at me. For a second time I felt pressure on my chin as he lifted up my head.
   “You’ve gotta be kidding…!” he remarked, a slow grin spreading across his face.
Ignoring him, a look of relief and longing appeared on my face as I watched the coffin being carried upstairs. Rowan watched its progress fascinated before looking back at me.
   “You’re a vampire?” he checked, beginning to cackle with glee, “Wow! That’s so cool!”
   “It has its disadvantages,” I told him, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to try out my new bed. G’night, or rather, afternoon.”

I’d never known such a comfortable bed. Okay, I only noticed it when I awoke, but still. I was quickly getting used to this new gift of telekinesis as I used it to open the coffin lid with barely a second thought, feeling more refreshed now than I ever did before. Once again I felt ready to tackle anything in my path, and with a happy smile I strode downstairs, greeting Mum on the way down.
   “Evening,” she smiled, “Sleep well?”
   “Oh yes,” I grinned in reply.
Amy had served them both dinner, and we sat at the table with them. I sat next to Rowan, and gently nudged his arm – I had some explaining to do.
   “Hey there,” he smiled.
   “Hi,” I replied gently, “Look, sorry about earlier…”
   “Oh, that’s okay,” he dismissed, his air turning grim, “Amy’s been filling me in. I didn’t know it’d all hit you that hard.”
   My mood sank momentarily. It didn’t help that the smell from their chops was wafting in my direction; before I would have been drooling, but now I wanted to gag. It smelt awful, and coupled with a growing gnawing sensation in my stomach, I was beginning to feel ill. Mum’s mobile rang and on answering it, excused herself from the room.
   “Marco,” I mused.
   With Mum gone, Rowan’s playful air returned as he nudged my arm. “So what’s it like?”
   I eyed him with mild suspicion. “Are we talking about that again?!” I checked.
   “Hey, you know more than us,” he replied, the sparkle reappearing in his eye. “I mean, the way you were evading the issue earlier; that gave the game away big-time!”
   “Yeah yeah,” I grinned, before it faded a little as I eyed him, “It’s worth waiting for, that’s all I’m saying.”
   “So how come you didn’t?” he teased.
   “I got lost in the moment,” I replied vaguely, “And got left a souvenir of the evening, too.”
   “Souvenir…?”
I pulled up my upper lip with a finger in reply, indicating one of my fangs.
   “Wha… is that when that happened?”
   I just nodded in reply, stifling a groan as I nursed my aching belly.
   “You got bitten during…?”
   “Hello again,” Mum’s voice drifted from the doorway. “Sorry about that, just arranging dinner.”
   I stared at Mum with a pained expression. “Please, don’t mention dinner…!” I groaned, “I’m starving!”
   “I knew you would be,” came the reply, “That’s why I told him to expect one extra. Come on.”
   I frowned. “Won’t I be treading on your toes a little?” I checked.
   “Hardly,” she smiled dryly, “You’ve got lessons to learn, and this one can’t wait.”
   Shrugging, I rose from my chair. “S’cuse me guys,” I told them as I walked off.
   “Bon appetit,” Amy called out as I left.
I approached Mum with hunger burning in my eyes. It wasn’t until I was on the bike with her that I remembered what dinner entailed, and grew a little uncomfortable. I’d never thought about her eating habits of late, and I cared not to know. Now I’d be experiencing it first hand.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:25:46 pm by Sadie79 » Logged

No requests please
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: