Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 03:36:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Dreams: The Present Day - Project Abandoned (lack of interest)  (Read 14752 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
~*Jax*~

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 09:45:33 pm »

damn ... i'm totally hooked.  keep it up! Smiley
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 02:27:19 pm »

Wow, thanks guys Cheesy Makes all this work worthwhile - especially these ones :smt120

Now's the time to say I have a very different take on vampires here - some of it includes legends, some of it I made up, but then don't a lot of vampire authors do that? Wink

I looked about myself as we stepped through the park, and couldn’t help but smile to myself.
   “You come here for your meals?” I breathed. I’d always liked the tranquillity of these places.
   “We certainly do,” came the reply as we walked, “It’s quiet, it’s secluded. Perfect location for our feeding grounds, in more than one way.”
   I frowned, about to question what she meant, but another more important one took priority. “Does he know it’s me you’re bringing?”
   “Not yet,” she said, “The phone’s not really the place for that kind of talk.”
   “Fair enough,” I shrugged, before I spotted the figure sitting patiently on the bench a short distance away. As he rose and approached us my stomach began doing cartwheels. I lingered behind as I watched Mum stride ahead and greet him with a hug and a kiss. They seemed to be talking for a while, and I couldn’t help but wonder what they were saying.

After a short time she beckoned me over. My stomach lurched as I nervously tugged at my shirt before walking over, meekly waving at him.
   “Evan?!”
   “Hi,” I mumbled shamefacedly in reply.
   “When did this happen?”
   “Last night,” Mum answered for me, “I caught him sneaking in after I got back.”
   “Can’t we do this later?” I complained, “I thought we came here to eat?”
   Marco scoffed lightly. “It’s not that simple I’m afraid,” he told me, “Come on, we’d best sit down. I have the feeling we’ll be here for a while.”
   “Why do you say that?” she asked as we sat.
   He frowned as he looked around. “It’s too quiet,” he mused, “Maybe they’re getting wise to us.”
   I couldn’t help but nudge Mum. “What’s he on about?” I asked, “Who’s they?”
   She eyed me knowingly. “Take a guess,” she replied with a raised eyebrow.
   Suddenly I heard a scream from somewhere. This animated the couple sitting with me, and Marco grinned as they rose.
   “Or maybe not!” he acknowledged happily, rubbing his hands together in glee.
   “You ready for this Evan?” Mum checked, beckoning me to follow.
   “I guess so,” I frowned in reply, more bemused than ever. Why were they waiting for a scream?
   He then took off, like a rocket from the ground. I had barely any time to gaze in wonder at the now floating character before Mum clutched my arm. Without warning she followed, and I let out a surprised yelp as we flew into the night sky.
   “What the…?”
   “Just focus on the task at hand,” he said as he flew off.
   “You alright?” she checked, slowly releasing the grip on my arm. “Think about hovering, like you have rockets attached to your feet.”
   I tried it, and swayed a little as I struggled to control myself.
   “That’s it!” she grinned, before looking back, “Come on, let’s get some while it’s there, huh?”

Flying soon became as effortless as walking, but landing was a different matter. Especially at the sight that greeted my eyes as I approached the source of the sound. There was this group of men, who looked like they were causing trouble… were they attacking someone? Was that the scream I heard? And Marco was feeding from one of them. It was then it clicked.   
   Hey, wait a minute… Mum’s meals are bad guys!?
I felt so relieved, and my hunger returned with a vengeance as I nearly crashed into one of them, using the movement to grab one by the chin, and quickly sunk my fangs into his throat as I regained my foothold on land.
   Mm, that tastes good…
Once I started to drink, I couldn’t stop. His blood tasted a little different to mine, more savoury and bitter, but it was still a lot better than that awful smell coming from my sister’s plate earlier. I had to stop eventually though, and stood there dazed for a moment as a warming sensation flowed through my being. It felt amazing.
   “Break his neck!”
   I shook my head briskly as I tried to locate the source of the yell.
   “Huh…?”
   Suddenly the man was yanked from my grip. Back to reality, I stared at the sight of green hands gripping his head and viciously twisting it until I heard a sickening crack. I watched the corpse crumple to the ground, before slowly staring upwards at the owner of the hands, my heart skipping a beat and dread building up within me as I was met with a familiar pair of huge red eyes.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:12 pm »

My half brother and I eyed each other for a while as the rest of the commotion washed over us. I swallowed a lump in my throat as he crossed his arms, eventually raising an eyebrow questioningly.
   “Didn’t expect to see you out here tonight,” he cooly observed.
   “This seems to be my week for confrontation,” I bitterly replied.
   “Are you surprised?! There’s a reason we don’t bite kids!”
   “It was an accident Joe,” I protested, but immediately wished I hadn’t. After glancing at the other two vampires present, he turned back to me and beckoned behind him with his thumb as he backed away with a suspicious air. Sighing, and gritting my teeth as I prepared myself for interrogation number three, I followed him as we moved further into the undergrowth.

“Pull up a tree trunk,” he invited, his dry sense of humour rearing its head as he found a place to sit. I found somewhere nearby as I continued to eye him awkwardly, drawing the back of my hand across my mouth as I became aware of the traces of blood on my lips.
   “Look,” I started, “I’ve already had this twice in the space of about half a day…”
   Joe shrugged casually in reply. “Doesn’t bother me,” he said, “I can always try out this other gift we have if you don’t fancy repeating yourself…”
   “Other gift?”
   “Yeah, mind reading,” he explained, “Like hearing thoughts, only more in-depth.”
   On the one hand I didn’t like the sound of that. But on the other, maybe he’d pick up more than the others did, and so understand the situation better. Whether or not that would be a good thing I had yet to decide, but what was the alternative? I risked yet more misunderstanding no matter what choice I made.
   “Okay,” I said quietly as I came to a decision, “Do it.”
He smiled gently as he beckoned me over, standing up. My heart began to race as I rose and advanced, watching as his arms lifted his hands to my head. As he placed his fingers on my temples his eyes closed, and when he next spoke it was in a hushed tone.
   “Just relax,” he told me as he drifted off.

That was pretty hard to do at first as I felt a strange sensation in my mind, like a probing mist, creeping into whatever crevice it could find. But it also brought its own calm in a strange way. It was also unearthing memories I’d tried to bury for my sanity’s sake, and all those emotions I felt at the time came flooding back. By the time his hands started to slip down my face, his work done, I grasped at his wrists and pulled them away myself as I struggled valiantly to contain myself, but despite my efforts I soon found myself sobbing uncontrollably into his chest.

It seemed like an age before all the pain was released and I stopped crying. I was fast realising why Gino had bonded with him so well as I found myself doing the same, yet in a different way. I could now understand why he had such a strong longing for children; he has a paternal instinct a mile wide, which was showing through now in the way he spoke to me.
   “Why couldn’t you tell one of us all this?” he asked, “I mean someone outside the house…”
   “How could I?” I replied, “We’re all caught up in this some way or another…”
   Joe sighed and hung his head. “I know,” he acknowledged, “I just wish I could’ve known what was going on… I could’ve done something.”
   I stared at him, amazed that he seemed to be blaming himself for some of this. “Hey,” I began, “This isn’t your fault…!”
   “It’s not that…” He raised his head again, looking sad. It was starting to dawn on me that the pain etched in his face was caused in part by me. Tears of guilt stung my eyes as I felt another lump in my throat.
   “I’m sorry Joe…” I uttered, “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone.”
   “Of course you didn’t,” he replied, a flicker of a reassuring smile appearing briefly on his face. He bit his lip, but shuddered as he forgot himself. A drop of forest green fluid trickled down his lip, and an emerald tongue flickered out to brush it away.
   “What do you think about what happened with Mum?” I asked. I had to know if it was just me taking it all so badly.
   “You’re referring to Marco, I take it?”
   “Yeah.”
   He shrugged. “To be honest, if Mum hadn’t changed so much I’d have taken it a lot harder. And yes, I did hear what he got up to at my wedding.”
   I smiled briefly as I let him continue.
   “But as it stands, I’m not really that surprised. Maybe because I could pick things up from Marco, and because I know Sarah wouldn’t have returned his affections if she thought there was any hope left in her marriage. In fact it’s extra support in a difficult time, if you think of it that way.”
   I cradled my head in my hand. In my confused emotional state at the time, that hadn’t occurred to me at all. A hand laid on my shoulder, before in the corner of my eye I noticed his head move. I looked at him; his eyes were fixed on something behind me, and he was wearing a sympathetic smile. My head turned in that direction and found them both walking towards us.
   “I’ll leave you all to it,” Joe said, “I’m off back to my own family.” Before he left however, he nudged my chin. “And the next time you need a shoulder to cry on, call me, okay?”
   I just nodded as he took off into the night, watching him go with tears once again staining my face. Even now I still can’t get over how lovely that man is, and how lucky we all are to have him in our family.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 02:48:22 pm »

But I had further lessons to learn that night. After an emotional moment with Mum, Marco took me by surprise in his own way by offering me a hug himself. But that was just the start of it.
   “I think we need a talk,” he offered, “We can go back to my home if you like.”
I found myself nodding, still feeling a little drained from that crying earlier. As we approached our vehicles however, I couldn’t help but ask something.
   “If we can fly, what do we still need cars for?”
   “Because not everyone we go out with are vampires,” Mum replied, “Besides, it’s fun!”
   “In more than one way,” he replied with a mischievous grin.
   “Hey you, behave!” she playfully chided. He merely laughed as he got into his car, while Mum and I hopped onto her bike. As we rode off, I was reminded why Mum still rode her bike – I made a mental note to look into riding lessons at some point.

I stared in awe at the large house we pulled into. Marco was propped up by the side of his car as she parked in his driveway, waiting for us to dismount. He led us both into the sitting room, but he surprised me when he made us all drinks. I got a taste for red wine from Emily’s glass, but wasn’t expecting him to now place the drink into my own hands. It wasn’t in a traditional wine glass either, but a large beaker. And it was generously filled.
   “Aren’t I too young?” I checked.
   He smiled as he settled into the sofa next to me. “Alcohol’s all we can drink,” he explained, “Needless to say, we can’t get drunk.”
   That’s got to be the best excuse for boozing I’ve ever heard!
   He broke into a giggle as I took a sip from my glass, which without my knowing quickly became large gulps. I hadn’t realised how thirsty I was.
   “Okay,” I mused a little later, “So, a liquid diet and alcohol for our only drink…”
   “Welcome to our world,” came her dry reply.
   I looked up at them with a puzzled look. “What was that about “breaking his neck”?” I asked.
   “Ah,” she said, “That’s to make sure you don’t end up with nasty vampires floating around.”

I silently listened as, between them, they explained the difference between good and bad vampires. Apparently we still feel and care because we still have our souls; the kind of people who prefer to cause trouble – the nature of their, well, our meals – are the kind who lose their souls if they become vampires, and would become more dangerous as they also lose whatever trace of conscious and humanity they might have had before. By killing them before our ‘virus’ had a chance to take hold, we stopped the threat before it started.

“Fair enough,” was all I could say in reply. The thought of such vampires being around, and even worse, likely to be a danger to my friends and (half) human family, was enough for me to tattoo that rule into my brain so it wouldn’t leave.

But Marco suddenly became serious. “Your Mum’s explained the situation as best she can,” he started, “But I have my own concerns, and there’s only one way I can answer them…”
   I looked puzzled, wondering if I liked the direction this was heading in.
   “With permission, I need to read you…”
   I shook my head slowly; I couldn’t deal with another sudden influx of emotion. “Oh no, not again,” I moaned.
   He eyed me quizzically, sensing my dismay. “I don’t know what Johan was doing, but I’m looking for something specific. It’s for your own good I do this.”
   I didn’t really have a choice in the matter. I shrugged in resignation as his hands rose to the sides of my head, and I steeled myself for what was to follow.

This was very different to my experience with Joe. The memories brought back into light this time were all centred around Emily; our meetings, even my diary entries were being analysed. And for some reason, our night of passion came under particularly heavy fire. The related emotions being re-energised this time paled the result of Joe’s probing into insignificance, and even before he was done I had to pull his hands away.
   “Stop, please,” I begged him, lowering my gaze to avert his eyes. His next remark was enough for me to stop in my tracks, however.
   “You poor, poor man,” he said simply, without a trace of sarcasm.
   I looked up at him bemused. His eyes were laden with genuine pity.
   “What do you mean?”
   “The answer to your question is yes,” he said, “This is love you’re feeling.”
My blood ran cold as I realised what he was driving at. I felt weak, and broke into a cold sweat as I stared solemnly at him.
   “So this is how it feels,” I breathed.
   He slowly nodded. “You hear many fairytales about how love ideally feels, but while some of it is true, the reality is often very different. It can not only blind, but deafen and deal great pain.”
   You’re telling me(!)
   Unlike Mum, he chose to ignore my passing thoughts as he continued. “I need to explain something to you at this point,” he told me, “There is a fine line between true love and infatuation – at first I thought the first was true with your sister, but it turned out to be the second instead.”
   “And it took Mum for you to realise that?”
   “Yes,” he softly replied, becoming distressed himself, “In all this time I’ve known her, it has only been recently I’ve woken up and considered my true feelings.” He began to sound angry, and I guessed immediately that anger was directed at himself. “I wasted years of my life thinking it was Jeanette I wanted to be with, even gave her a child, yet when it came to a head with her, leaving was one of the easiest things I’ve had to do. My only regret is Karl being involved in all this.”
   “Does he know any of this?”
   He nodded. “I broke it to him shortly after it all happened,” he told me, “Thankfully he’s very mature and sensitive for his age. He’s told me ever since I did the right thing.”

My heart sank as did my head. I’d been so hard on them both, not to them but in my mind. The more Marco spoke, the more I could see how Mum, in her state of mind, fell so deeply for him so quickly. I was so caught up in my own feelings I’d not considered why the love affair between them started in the first place. Now he was telling me his feelings for Mum were real, and was even sympathising with my feelings for Emily. No judgement, no “you can’t see her any more.” Dad would’ve been livid – well, maybe not before he changed, but he certainly would now.
   “I’m sorry,” I whispered.
   Marco just hugged me in reply. After a while we broke away, and I eyed him helplessly.
   “What can I do?” I asked gently.
   “All you can do is tell her how you truly feel,” he said, “A daunting task I know, but you’re a vampire. Your mental senses are more acute, so whatever her reaction will be, you’ll know if you’re wasting your feelings or not.”
   I nodded before checking my watch. “There's still time,” I acknowledged, “Can I go now?”
   Mum nodded. “Just don’t be too long,” she told me, “You need to be back before daytime, remember.”
   Again I nodded, rising to my feet. “Thanks,” I said, before looking back at him. He bade me good luck before I left, my heart pumping so hard I could feel it thudding against my ribs. I’d never felt so nervous in my life as all sorts of outcomes flashed through my mind – how would she take this? Did she feel the same way, or was I just a casual fling?

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 08:37:56 pm »

“Emily, I love you...”
   Nah.
   “I really care about you...”
   Hmm, better...
   “I need you to know, I'm really fond of you...”
   Ah man; sounds like you're proposing marriage!

All the while I was walking, I kept rehearsing different ways of breaking it to her, but every time I tried it just sounded more and more... cheesy? Clingy? Desperate? There was no denying the latter, but I couldn't let her know that... or could I? It would certainly convey my real feelings, but at the same time I risked making an even bigger fool of myself. But before I knew it, her house was yards away, and the lights were on. I hoped her Mum wasn't in as I tentatively approached the front door, and rang the bell before stepping back a little, my hands to my lips as I tried to compose myself.
   “Evan?”
   I turned round, and hid my dismay on seeing Nadia at the door.
   “Hi,” I began, “Is Emily in?”
   “She is, yes,” came the reply, “To speak the truth, she cannot face you.”
   At first I frowned, before I realised what she meant. “Look, if that's about last night...”
   There was a pause, and it seemed as though she was keeping a mental ear open for the nature of my thoughts, before she finally stepped aside. “Very well,” she conceded, “What happened once you returned?”
   “Mum was there waiting for me,” I confessed, “She was about to ask where I'd been, but she must've noticed my eyes 'cause she took me straight to the nearest mirror after that.”
   “And now, all is well?”
   “As well as it can be, yeah,” I smiled sadly, “Now I've realised what a d*** I've been to my folks lately...”
   Nadia merely laid a hand on my shoulder, before inviting me to take a seat while she went to call on Emily. I looked about me anxiously, before noticing a faded stain on the sofa I was sitting on. I smiled knowingly to myself as I recognised it as the remnants of a stubborn bloodstain.

“I will leave you two alone,” said the distant voice that drifted through the air. I looked up and saw her, a distressed look on her face as she kept her distance. The longing within me grew to new proportions as I rose from my seat, overcome with emotion.
   “Hey,” I greeted, “I need to talk to you.”
   Her expression didn't change as she advanced hesitantly. But as the distance between us narrowed, I started to pick up all manner of confused feelings from her.
   “Forgive me Evan, I did not mean...”
   “I know,” I interrupted as I held out a hand. Unable to contain myself, I moved closer and allowed my hands free reign of her soft face as I continued to speak. “It's okay, I don't hate you for it... in fact you did me a favour.”
   This seemed to relax her a little. “Really? How so?” she asked.
   “This has all given me time to sort myself out,” I explained, “I've been so screwed up lately... No, my remaining family weren't amused at first, but they're used to the idea now. In fact Mum took me for my first meal a few hours ago.”
   “I see,” she smiled, and as her arms glided round my waist the air was thick with different signals. I wanted nothing more at that moment than to taste the sweetness of her lips, but I knew I went there that night for a reason. Despite that we nuzzled each other for a spell, before she uttered something I had only dreamed that I would hear.
   “I love you so much.”
   My head moved away for a minute, as I eyed her in happy disbelief. A smile played upon my lips as I thought how best to react.
   “Wha... seriously?”
   She merely nodded in reply, her red eyes becoming glassy. My smile grew until my mouth began to hurt, and felt tears trickle down my cheeks as I struggled to speak.
   “I love you too Emily,” I stuttered, and we clung tightly to each other, all sense of time gone as after a while our lips met.

I'd never felt so good in a long time as I did after that. We began to properly date, and I even invited her to meet Mum and Amy. Meanwhile I heard Dad was starting a new life in his new house too; after learning of Kieran and his robotic companions, he decided to buy one for himself and named her Nadia. Apparently these “servos” took on the personality of whoever initialised them, so to him it was like finally he'd found a soul-mate, someone who could take him as he is now. And yes, those were his words; they cut like a knife. It was as though he was alienating himself from us – couldn't he understand how it felt from our end, having to watch?

The final straw came about a month later. Just as I'd guessed, he wasn't happy about my relationship with Emily; I put it to him that, if we'd met up normally there wouldn't be a problem so why should there be a problem now, but he retaliated with “You should never have been creeping out in the first place.” Damn, werewolves can be predictable. To make matters worse, Joe's twin Diana had been cursed too, although her house-mate – Gino –  had sent her for preventative treatment right away, terrified that she would eventually become a real bitch otherwise. For that I owed him my eternal thanks; at the time I didn't know how grateful I would end up being thanks to bitter experience.

I grew concerned about Emily – she was looking green around the gills of late, but she tried to put it down to a bug. It might have worked if she was mortal, but vampires don't get ill. They do however get...
   Hey, wait a minute.
   “Um, Emily...” I mentioned one day, when the thought occurred to me, “I think you need to go to the doctor. And I'm coming with you.”
   “Why?” came the bemused reply.
   I swallowed hard, Mum's warning to me resounding through my head.
   “Vampires are still fertile...”
   “Vampires don't get ill,” I reminded her softly, all the while considering the enormality of our carelessness, “But they do get morning sickness...”
   “Morning sickness? What on earth is that?!”
   Of course, she wouldn't know.
   After gently explaining to her the urgency of the situation, she hastily agreed and an appointment was made in the next few days. Well, not with a doctor, they don't open at nights, but there was still the local clinic.

By the time we left, both of us were shaken and our minds spinning with all sorts of confused thoughts.
   “Whatever can we do?!” she exclaimed. My heart went out to her – people then were so ignorant. Single mothers of her class were cast out and generally treated like dirt.
   “Look,” I soothed as I put an arm round her shoulder, “Things aren't so bad these days, you won't get kicked out or anything...” I silently hoped Nadia, being something of an outcast herself for being bisexual (and later a vampire) would be more understanding in that field. That and she was a single Mum herself.
   “I am afraid, Evan...”
   I could only offer a hug in reply, relenting as I held her. “Me too,” came my admission. Despite our predicament, neither of us could bring ourselves to include termination as an option.

I couldn't find it in me to tell Mum though. I left her to chat with Amy at the table as I made a beeline for my coffin dead on sunrise, again feeling unable to face anyone. As I woke that evening, my mind still reeling from the news, I anxiously paced about the room for a good five minutes before remembering I needed to eat something. Not feeling any more sociable, I instead opened my bedroom window wide and clamboured outside onto the ledge, before leaping into the night sky.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 08:49:57 pm »

“Next time you need a shoulder to cry on, call me okay?”
   The blood was still fresh on my lips when I remembered our talk. Mopping up the excess with my tongue, I instinctively took off as I knew what I had to do next. Not being able to tell anyone in fear of the reaction was driving me insane, and with an offer like that from within my own family, how could I not accept?
   After checking my watch to make sure I wouldn't be embarking on a wasted journey, I continued on my flight back towards our deceptively quiet town, and towards the moderately sized house I knew would be home to my sanctuary for the next hour or so. I had barely landed before urgently pressing the button that would alert the occupants to my presence, and cringed at the volume of the sound reverberating inside. That was bound to wake his sleeping children, but it couldn't be helped.
   “Hello(!)” came the naturally surprised reception.
   “Hi,” I greeted Giana, “I really need to see Joe, is he in?”
   “Yeah, he's in,” she replied as she beckoned me inside. On seeing him sitting on the sofa I was over in an instant.
   “Joe?” I said as I went across.
   “Hello!” he greeted, before frowning. “What's wrong?”
   “Sorry for turning up like this, but I didn't know where else to go...” I glanced awkwardly at her as she sat down next to him, but on remembering they're married, therefore they probably know each other's darkest secrets by now, I relented and blurted out my own.
   “I beg your pardon?!” came the anticipated response.
   A rising tide of dread rose inside as I eyed him apologetically. “I know,” I meekly uttered, “I'm sorry, I...”
   I trailed off as he bolted from his seat with a new lease of energy, and stormed off towards the window. He was trying to contain his thoughts, but he was doing a terrible job – I'd never seen him so angry. I managed to stop myself chewing on my lip while praying he wouldn't explode.

I listened intently to his thoughts, and felt slightly relieved on hearing him trying to calm himself.
   'Okay Joe, this isn't helping anyone.'
   An exasperated sigh escaped his lungs before slowly he turned back to face me. When he spoke again his tone was lowered, seemingly as a result of his self-discipline. It was admirable, I have to say.
   “Alright,” he began, delicately nibbling at his bottom lip, “How far along is she?”
   “About a month,” I replied, before pondering aloud. “It was probably that first night.”
   He nodded in acknowledgement. “So what will you do?”
   He was testing me, of that I was certain. But by this point I was ready for him; I'd come to a decision.
   “Only one thing I can do,” I said lightly, “Move in with her, maybe get a new place if we have to, and help her with the baby.”
   “You're fifteen,” came the reply, “And children are expensive. How will you live?”
   “I'll find something to tide us over,” I told him, before smiling a little as I revealed a dream I'd had for a while – must have been from keeping a diary. “Actually I've been thinking of becoming an author.”
   “Oh really?” he queried, his mood lightening temporarily, “You do know that won't pay the bills, I hope?”
   “I know,” I relented, “But for now it's pocket money. There's work out there for vampires... you should know.”
   “I'm an adult. You're not.”
   At this point I crossed my arms indignantly. “I'll still be fifteen when you're past your thirties you know. On the outside of course.”
   He cocked his head. “You think in the end you'll be a man in a boy's body?!” he retorted, “I'm sorry Evan, but it doesn't work that way.”
   My stomach churned as the illusion was shattered.
   Is he saying what I think he's saying...?
   The man was losing patience, and by now I could fully understand why. His tone hardened as he continued to speak. “That's right. That's the reason we don't bite kids; they stay kids forever. You'll never age, you'll never be the grown man you've always dreamed of being. You certainly won't be able to handle an adult's job, although you're welcome to try.”
   I ran my fingers through my hair as the cold reality was laid in front of me. All the dreams I had once; of going to University, getting a well paid job and pursuing my goal with a modest nest-egg to back me up... all that had gone. My life had gone down the pan the moment my studies first began to suffer. I had hoped that sooner or later I'd be able to pick up where I left off; with immortality at my disposal I had all the time in the world to rectify things. Now with a little one on the way, time became a real issue once more. Maybe when he or she was older I could pick up the pieces again, but for now I had an insanely tough choice to make. I enjoyed the powers vampirism granted me; I especially loved the flying, and being able to hear people thinking. Did I now have to give that up? Or was there another way...?

When I got back home it was still fairly early into the night. I started to hope Mum would get back soon; I really needed to talk about these new misgivings with someone... but the more I thought, the more I realised family wasn't the best option. Yet with so many of the people around now being family, I was at a loss for anyone to talk to. I crawled up to my room with a heavy heart, changed into my swimwear and made a beeline for the hot tub, enjoying the womb-like sensation as I floated while contemplating my options, gazing up at the stars and recalling many fond memories of drifting along the glistening backdrop they offered. I so dearly longed to keep hold of this gift I had, and the more I considered its own promises the more determined I was to find a way round the money problem.

Can't handle an adult's job? Who says?!
A smile took hold of my mouth as the answer was all of a sudden staring me in the face.
   I may not be mature enough for an adult's job. But vampires are strong, they can move objects with thought alone... that surely must count for something.
I sat forwards in the tub as ideas came flowing through my mind like a raging stream. After a while I gave a whoop of joy as I realised something very important that, up until now, I'd overlooked completely, yet was so obvious it was a wonder I'd managed to miss it. With the notion fresh in my mind, I sprang from the tub and tore upstairs to the computer in a burst of speed that sent piled papers flying, hoping that I wouldn't be so cruelly disillusioned for a second time that night.

No requests please
jjsmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 05:27:56 am »

more please!

The AA needs you
don't take life too seriously. you never get out of it alive :tongue5:http://iratebermy.tripod.com/
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 03:32:09 pm »

For some strange reason, when I last tweaked my sims (nothing drastic, just adding body hair to the guys Wink), Marco got pretty messed up. I'm using these fang replacements, but with him no matter what I tried, first he lost his red eyes and fangs, and when I got them back his fangs went back to the default Maxis long ones. I've given up trying to find a solution now, so I'm afraid Marco is stuck looking like a walrus Sad Unless anyone has ideas of their own?

My time spent as a writer for the school's newsletter was paying off; it now paved the way for me to start writing articles for real money. In the meantime though, Marco had invited us all to move in with him; not just Mum but me, Amy and even our cat came along with us. I quickly understood why on the first time seeing his house – it was huge, and he was rattling in it. The fact neither of us were his kids didn't seem to make any difference, which was great. Except I was soon feeling very guilty, and one night I confessed to him and Mum that this was all very nice, but it was unlikely I'd be staying long. The test came when they asked why, and it all came out there and then. Understandably it didn't go down too well.

“Good grief Evan... what did I say?!”
   “It was that very first night Mum,” I explained, hoping to diffuse the situation.
   Marco sighed as he tried to calm himself. “Just like my cousin,” he moaned, “One night together and it's one night too many.”
   I lowered my head as I thought back to Jeanette’s daughter. She'd done the same thing I'd now done. No wonder Joe was so mad; he took her carelessness badly, and now he was seeing it happen again.
   “I'm sorry,” I mumbled, knowing it wouldn't make a scrap of difference.
   “”Bit late for that isn't it?” Mum remarked.
   “I know, but what else can I say?” I then addressed Marco as I continued, “I'm not gonna do what your Uncle did though; I'm gonna be there for her before and after the baby's born. I owe it to all of us.”
   “Kieran didn't know about Leanne until she was about five years old,” he told me, “He's kept in touch ever since though. This is a little different.”
   “I guess,” I relented, “But we love each other. We'll manage.”
   “For your kid's sake I hope so,” Mum remarked.

I left a couple of nights later, having found somewhere to start us off. We'd already discussed putting together what funds we had for this place, and on going to pick her up I couldn't help but smile as I saw her. By this time a good few months had passed, enough for her to put on some weight. I hid my concern at seeing just how big she was though, considering there was only one in there... at least I hoped it was only one. Given that I had a twin myself, I started to hope we wouldn't have our hands full.

It took me a long time before I plucked up the courage to phone Dad and tell him the news. But as much as Mum and Marco responded, well, not so great, plus the fear I had at the time that Mount Johan would erupt, all that turned out to be merely a speck of what I would face with my own father. I braced myself for all manner of different kinds of outbursts, but couldn't have expected what he did come out with – he disowned me. Right there and then, over the phone of all places. What frightened me even more was how I responded to such a harsh verdict.
   “Oh really,” I heard myself replying as tears streamed down my face, “Well you know what? You're no father of mine either, you haven't been for years!”
   “What's that supposed to mean?!”
   Even now he doesn't get it?!
   “F***'s sake Dad... or should I start calling you Luca now, since my real Dad died when that wolf bit him?! You've been so different; you know all that time you were still living with us, when you were in bed Mum and I would be locked in my room, grieving!”
   There was silence on the other end as all my pent up emotions were unleashed on what I now knew to be the source of my pain, the reason all my dreams had died in the first place. Yes, Mum's romantic involvement with Marco at such a peculiar time pushed me over the edge, but I was already clinging by the tips of my fingers by then. The slightest trigger would have sent me plummeting into mental oblivion, it was unfortunate it happened to be a lovely man like Marco who did it.
   “We really tried to accept what was happening,” I continued, “We knew it wasn't your fault, but your downright stubbornness to accept what impact this was all having on your own family... what happened at Joe's wedding was what did it. Picking fights with strangers at his son's wedding? My real Dad would never fight period, he'd sooner walk away. He certainly wouldn't pull a stunt like that... it hurt Joe too you know, just as I knew it would. Yet you didn't care! Now this?”
   “No son of mine would be so damn careless with his seed either, did that one ever occur to you?!”
   “I wouldn't be in this mess if my Dad wasn't being such an a***hole in the first place!”
   “Don't you dare blame this on me!!”
   I sighed angrily, my head beginning to feel bruised from its relentless contact with the wall I was faced with. “Have you been listening to anything I've said?” I snapped. “Yes I took it all badly, I'm just like my father used to be; incredibly sensitive. What's to say you wouldn't have reacted any different if you were still the same man who conceived me?!”
   “That has nothing to do with what's happened now.”
   “Oh really?” I queried sarcastically, “And what brings you to that conclusion?”
   “This may be a tough call right now, but you need to think very carefully about all that's happened,” he said, his tone calmer than before, “Your studies suffering, locking yourself in your room, that's fair enough. Sneaking out at night and opening yourself up to all manner of danger, that's borderline. Going home with a girl you knew for about a month and knocking her up that night? That's downright stupidity!”
   Now it was my turn to fall silent as it began to register what he was saying. It was true that by the time I'd started seeing her the dark clouds had lifted from my mind. I sank again yes, but for a different reason... it didn't have anything to do with Dad.

I swallowed hard as the brutal truth slapped me in the face; he had a perfect right to not want anything to do with me. Joe had the perfect right to grab me by the shoulders and shake me so hard my brain would have rattled in my skull, yet despite being tempted to do so he didn't. The more I thought about it, the more I realised why everyone was so angry with me. A hand nursed my forehead as I began to mentally admonish myself for being so stupid. I was just starting to pick myself up again, but now both of us had to put our lives on hold for the sake of however many poor kids I'd brought into being on one act of impulse.
   “S***,” I uttered, “I'm sorry...”
   “Bit late for that isn't it?”
   “Don't you start,” I grumbled, “I've already had that from Mum.”
   “With good reason, don't you think?”
   “I know, I know,” I admitted, “All I can do now is lie in the bed I've made.”
   “Yes... and I gather you won't get a cure either.”
   “I'm getting by on articles I write for the paper,” I told him, “Three to five hundred a time isn't to be sneezed at.”
   “Well, that's not bad I have to say,” he remarked, “But there's more reason for a cure than money alone. Fatherhood is an adult's job and you're no adult.”
   “No, but I have valuable lessons of my own to teach him or her,” I promised, “Experience. If I can make sure my child doesn't repeat my mistakes this whole thing will have been worth it.”

Referring to the unborn as a single child was, as I guessed from the offset, futile. Yet not even I was expecting what did happen when the time eventually came; it wasn't even twins Emily gave birth to, but triplets! A girl and two boys, who we named Joanne, Leo... and Luca, after the man my father used to be – I had to keep his name alive somehow.

I looked about our small house in despair. We had our one cot and the changing table, but our funds were running low. We had to sell our television just so we could afford another two cots, but there was no room for our coffins in the house – we'd moved them outside, and had to race to them before the sun rose while she was carrying, but now we didn't dare use them in case one of them needed attention during the day, so we curled up on our cheap sofa and slept there. Despite it all though, I was determined to muddle through for their sake, although I admitted to those family members I was still in touch with that it was a rougher ride than any of us could have hoped for. But I constantly promised both them and myself that I was going to be a good father to them all, that I wouldn't let my immaturity as a youth stand in the way of providing all that a child needs; love, support... all that I got from my own before everything went wrong.

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 10:29:38 pm »

I was writing articles like there was no tomorrow, whenever there was time in between sleeping and seeing to one of our little friends. Despite myself I was starting to wonder how I still had hair, as was Emily. Not to mention the guilt we both had on leaving one of us alone just so we could hunt, doing what Joe and Giana did since they had young children too, by taking it in turns to leave for some food while the other stayed with the babies. It was just as well we couldn't go to school; well, it wouldn't have been an option if we could. Time to myself or with Emily was becoming a rare moment to treasure. So I wasn't too happy to receive a surprise visit from Mum, despite being otherwise pleased to see her.
   “Hey there,” she smiled, “How's it going? Or is that a silly question?”
   “It's a silly question,” I bit as I invited her in, frowning as she refused.
   “I didn't come to visit,” she said, “I came to tell you to pack your things. Emily too.”
   I looked at her puzzled. “Why?” I asked, “Are we going somewhere?”
   “Oh yes,” came the ambiguous reply. It was then I noticed Joe standing by the car outside.
Shrugging, I told her to hold on as I went back inside to explain to Emily. Luckily there wasn't yet much to pack, just two teenagers' clothes from the wardrobe, then the nappies and whatnot from the babies, although we had to leave the furniture behind. It all fit into the boot of the car anyway, and Joe drove us off to our mystery destination.

It was a rather large house, set some way back from the street with the surrounding area looking in need of a front garden. I frowned as Mum put something into my hand and invited me to go up and take a look. Shrugging I did so, reluctantly leaving three sleeping babies with a teenage Mum and two members of my family who were still talking to me. The latter two got out of the car and propped themselves up against the side, watching me approach.
   “Go ahead, look inside,” Joe offered.
   I turned back to them, and noticed them smiling. “Look inside?” I checked, “How?”
   “You've got the key,” came the reply.
   “What's going on?” I asked.
   “We'll explain in a minute,” Mum said, “All I'll say for now is, welcome to your new home.”
   I gawped at them both in shock. “Pardon??” I exclaimed, looking back at the house.

I looked down at my hand, finding the key in question, and gently nibbling at my lip I gingerly approached, hardly daring to believe it would fit in the lock. But fit it did, and the door opened invitingly. A smile spread across my lips as I ventured inside, looking about me in awe and noting the presence already of furniture. It was even decorated to our taste!

I must have wandered about the house for a good half an hour or so, gazing at the walls, the desk, the nurseries... Eventually I had to leave though, breaking into a sprint as I flung myself into Mum's arms and planting a big kiss on her cheek.
   “My God...” I uttered, “Thank you doesn't even begin to cover what I'm feeling right now...”
   “You approve I take it?” Joe remarked dryly.
   I looked back at him as I began to drift slowly back to Earth. “Not that I'm complaining, but... what possessed you guys to do this?”
   Joe and Mum exchanged awkward glances before he decided to do the talking, in so doing adopting a stern stance. “It wasn't for you we did this, but for your kids. You mentioned not having room in the house, and I couldn't bear to think how they'd get by later on in such a small place. We had to do something.”
   “It was his idea,” Mum said, “Well, we both decided to have a whip-round. Not everyone in our family are rich, but there's a lot of us. Those who couldn't spare much were compensated for by those of us who could. Luca wouldn't give anything until I reassured him it wasn't for helping you, but the innocent children involved. Not even he could let them carry on in that place.”
   “To say nothing of selling the TV,” Joe finished, “Just to get another two cots for the little 'uns? That's just ridiculous.”
   “Even Luca gave something?” I checked, feeling tears of shame well at my eyes. I was beginning to feel like such a charity case; it took my family to get me out of trouble? It fell barely short of embarrassing. Still, at least now we could go back to sleeping in our coffins. I wiped a tear from my cheek as my eyes flickered from one to the other. “I'll never forget this,” I smiled, “And you can tell the others that too. I just wish I wasn't in the position to make this necessary.”
   “I won't answer that,” came his bitter-sweet reply as he offered a hug, “Just don't make a habit of it. You won't be so lucky next time.”
   Harsh words from such a nice man, but he was within his rights to say them. Just as I deserved to receive them.

So this is where we are now. They say to cherish the time they spend as babies, so here they are:

And they are so right – the years have flown past. Well, us being vampires doesn't help; Emily's still seventeen and I'm still fifteen, but now Amy and the rest of her friends are starting their first semester in University. That would make them eighteen; feels weird being a few years behind your twin sister, both mentally and physically, but that's how it goes I guess. Just as while my sister and friends/relatives pursue their dreams and live new adventures, I'm at home with three kids to look after – that's the price you pay for being careless. And trust me, parenthood has its moments...

However, it's not all bad. It's time-consuming, at times hideous, but it also brings its own rewards, no matter how small they may seem. You've no idea how good it feels hearing your child say their first word, or watch them take their first step, until you've heard or seen it for yourself.

They say everything happens for a reason. I may have suffered greatly through my adolescence, how much brought on myself I don't know or even care any more; I should be studying at Uni with my friends, but here I have a beautiful lady who I love very much and who loves me, and we have three little treasures of our own, part of both of us, and every moment I spend with them tells me there is no use looking back, or contemplating what should be. This is my life now, and I have never been happier. What the future holds no one knows, but I know I'll embrace whatever it may bring.

And with that I leave you, at least for now. I hope you enjoyed my tale, or at least learned from it; I may update later on, I may not. In the meantime, if this baby sells it's a huge bonus – if not, it's at least given me the outlet I so badly needed. I'll keep a copy under my bed for when they grow up, so they can see what a mess their Dad made of his life and know not to do the same.

Take care folks,

No requests please
Stonelily237

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 03:59:23 pm »

Oh my god! That was the best TS2 story I've ever read!

The Lurking Story Critic
:lurk:
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 10:20:21 am »

Thanks! Cheesy It'll be worth updating then, I take it? Smiley

No requests please
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 06:30:30 pm »

Okay, whether anyone's been following this or not, I'm updating for me :tongue3: I need to stay in practise and get these ideas down, although if any of you have been following any contest threads I've been in lately they may serve as spoilers... which is partly why I'm getting this done now.

Oh, and I've since changed defaults (again >_<); you won't recognise them as defaults 'cause I made them for myself, but anyway...

Hello again! Decided to update after all – our family seems to be jinxed, what with me and other things before I was born. With that in mind, not to mention the sheer personal content of what I was going to use as a first novel, I've decided against publishing it after all. In fact, looking back over it I can't believe I was even thinking of it. Good practise maybe, but getting it published?! Sheesh... ever looked back on your old work and cringed? That's how I feel looking back on that little book I wrote; my writing skills then were... not awful, but certainly not a patch on how they are now. Besides, personal things like this aren't good novel material if you're just starting out – if or when I get big enough through other work I may re-write it as an autobiography, but until then I'll just keep it stashed away on my computer. Not  to mention adding to it like I am now – I decided to set up a website for troubled teenagers, and this story is the meat of it; it's a blog basically, complete with forum where others can meet up, get their worries off their chests without having to fear being judged by anyone. I uploaded the story I was going to sell and now add to it with articles like this one.

... So what's new? Not my age, that's for sure. I will say though, as our kids get older people have started dropping hints about marriage. To be honest we'd been that rushed off our feet with being first-time parents to triplets neither of us had thought about it, although now it's starting to get to me. Just the idea that, well, we loved each other from the off, and not just what grown-ups would call “thinking they're in love”. Oh, I've heard that plenty of times from people, and it's really starting to p*** me off. Marco knew just from taking a walk inside my mind – I wish others would make the effort. Not everyone can go to the extreme he did, but at least stop judging us; yes, a lot of people our age do go through phases but believe me, this is no phase. I'll prove it too... In fact the more I think about it, the more I realise now I'm ready to take the ultimate step. We've been living like a married couple for long enough by now... I'm just glad there's some jewellers open at night. We've been building up a nice amount of money too, thanks to my articles. One big advantage of not ageing is the extra time to build up the skills you need to get through life, and boy have I been making the most of that – I'm earning six hundred plus each time!

Predictably the jeweller didn't take me seriously. I got it in the end though, the only thing I have to worry about now is what she'll say when I propose... thankfully the kids will be starting school soon, finally some time to ourselves! I'm getting ahead of myself though; kids starting school? Yes, it's been that long! I can't believe it myself – they're five years old now. Guess that makes me twenty in real terms. If I was human I'd look it too... and feel it. Joe was right though; I feel no different. I haven't matured in the way I would have done if I'd cured myself. I'm wiser, but that's not the same thing. You hear of people being younger mentally despite being older – Marco is a prime example – but this isn't the case here. I really am still fifteen, despite being on this Earth now for over twenty years. In the main it doesn't make any difference, but try telling that to the people around you. Still treated like a boy, yes I know I still am one, but it also means I'm not taken seriously. Father of three? Buying an engagement ring? I should be out partying every night apparently! ... Give me a break. For a start, not all teenagers are party animals. I never was before and I'm sure as hell not now.

Yes I'm ranting. It's an article though, that's the beauty of these things; this is why they're a good outlet. Rant away to your heart's content and, providing it's worthwhile, post it on-line where others can read and hopefully relate. Join in the debate too, since this is an interactive article. I know I'm not the only teen out there who doesn't fall into society's idea of what adolescence is. It's reasons like this I hate stereotypes. You get them everywhere, be it with race, religion, sexuality – I know Mum gets sick and tired of being labelled for being bi. Now I'm getting it, and I'm starting to realise this is why a lot of us fall under. This is a vulnerable time where we're in between the innocence of childhood and the experience of adulthood, still learning but not wanting to be treated like children any more. There's a reason the age of consent is sixteen... except going by that I'm still technically a minor. So I'm a year off, so kill me. I'm still old enough to raise children, therefore I'm old enough to make a decent husband, yes?! I'm as good as already... actually, I don't know what I'm worried about. I'm twenty! I'm plenty old enough, shouldn't be a problem right?

Famous last words, I muse to myself as I hit the save button. I check the forum every day, and have to periodically clean out my inbox as I tend to get inundated with messages, not just from other teens but also parents, as though a twenty year old going on fifteen is able to help them with their troubled teens. Still, the fact that I'm a parent myself might have something to do with it – rather than give in to the temptation of saying “this is a teens-only site” which is what I'd originally aimed for, I ended up adding a new section to the forum for parents and let them discuss their worries there. I visit that place too... half-hoping my father will post there. Word's gotten about enough about this place by now, and enough people have made use of it. I don't get paid for it, but I don't care; I've learnt to turn my pain into something useful by using it to help others, and it's working.

Yes, after all this time Luca has still shunned me, not even a phone call, and after all this time it's still a weight on my shoulders I could do without. Everything else is going just great, the kids are turning out beautiful... apart from Leo. I don't know where he gets it from, but he's a right little... I decided very quickly to give him some “lessons” if you like, and just like Joe I'm a man of my word. I know I'm not strictly a man, but whatever... fifteen on the inside, twenty on the outside, that's the way I see it. At least that's what keeps me going, stops me going crazy through being stuck like this. Yes I can get a cure, but for the sake of being taken seriously why the hell should I?! As I said before, everything else is fine. It's just that little niggle... I can't see Luca being any closer to taking me back if I was now to get a cure either – that wasn't why he left. Sad really...  that's an idea. Forget the forum for a moment, you haven't finished with the article bit yet.

Thoughts on Fatherhood
All this talk about raising children got me thinking about my Father again.  Even after five years that is still the big void in my life, and for some reason it seems to hurt now more than before. I'd managed to carry on for so long, resigned to the fact that I'd never see or hear from him again, to the point of addressing Marco as Dad. As you can imagine he was taken aback the first time I called him that, but he's been more of a father than Luca has for years. Yet now I wish so much to see him, play with him or hug him, talk to him... anything.

Thinking about it, it's probably been reading through the forum here that's got me going again. I see tales of suicide, thirteen year olds grieving over a parent or friend who's died, people who have died in accidents... and the very fact I'm a “night-stalker” as we're affectionately known has added to that too. In fact this is another big reason I won't buy a cure – how many lives I must have saved since I got bitten I don't even want to think about; the thoughts I pick up from what I can only call food would push me to suicide if I let them – they are that depressing. I've witnessed gang rape, attempted murder, even torture, yet my own father won't talk to me for something as trivial as accidental procreation? I know it's not a trivial issue in itself but come on; what would you rather your teenage son or daughter got up to?

I would say I wish he'd go out and buy a cure himself, but what's the point? It won't make him any less of a d*** than he is now. I know the moon's not as provoking as it has been, that's something. I often wonder how he's doing, whether he's got any closer to Nadia – just hearing Kieran's account of these “servos” is enough for me to forget they're machines, so it's possible. I even check the Space For Rents board for any sign of him – why he'd post there I don't know, but then Mum and Marco have signed up; I ended up creating a separate member group for my family members. Even started the Family Room after spotting others crawling out of the woodwork – we're not so much a family as I found out, but a clan!

There's always room for one more though. I guess that's another reason... no. It's the main reason I want to marry now; not only am I ready for commitment – in fact I have been for years – of all the people I need to convince this was never a passing phase, Luca is the one who seems to need it most. If after all this I still can't call him Dad I'll have to resign myself to that fate, and erect a tombstone in my cemetery to his name. Even engrave an epitaph into it:

In Loving Memory of Luca Turilli
Still alive in body, but dead to his youngest son
Despite attempts to build a bridge between them,
They spend eternity not as Father and Son
But two strangers who stalk the night alone

Is this what you want Luca? Sad really isn't it – still calling you by your first name, and that epitaph is something that's been playing in my mind for years. I even named one of my sons after you, or rather the man you used to be. Try browsing this place someday; I can recommend News From the Undead – it started as a board to house my rants from mealtimes, but it's not just me who posts there. You can say hello to Joe, Jeanette, Alex – they all visit and start their own threads since they're also vampires. If anything on this place can remind you how petty you're still being it's that part. Remind yourself of the scum that still walk this Earth, then ask yourself how you'd rather I turned out. You'd shed no tears if you'd learned I'd had my body drained of blood by vigilante vampires would you? I'd have deserved that fate too if I was to die that way – we're very picky eaters. We, meaning I'm nice enough to qualify as the hunter rather than the prey. The very reason we kill them is to stop them becoming immortal and worse than they already are. If I really was bad enough to be disowned, I wouldn't even be alive by now... oh yes! Here's some food for thought: if I'm so terrible, why would I bother to set up a site with the sole purpose of helping other people? I'm not getting paid for this after all. My pay comes from the articles I write for the paper, and some of it goes into this place. I'm not even asking money from this site am I? See any subscription links or donation buttons? I'm doing what I said I'd do and using my experience to teach others, to help them. When Leo and Luca Jr. are old enough I'll use it to guide them through their teenage years. I'm already being a good father to them all, and that's despite being a “teenage” vampire.

Please Luca... Dad... get in touch. At least answer my phone messages or emails.

Crimson droplets spatter dangerously close to the keyboard, and as I save the article I rise from my chair after clutching a tissue from the box on the desk. With a website like this and being as sensitive as I am it pays to keep a box handy, and this isn't the first time I've reached for it. Wiping the blood from the desk I then take the tissue to my face, which by the time I'm finished drying my cheeks carries smudged reminders of my immortality – vampires cry blood, which is harder to clean than salty water.
   “Evan?”
Smiling to myself as the reason I still keep going enters the room, I toss the tissue into the waste-paper basket, too late to avoid her eye.
   “Writing or reading?” she asks with a knowing smile.   
   “Writing,” I reply, subdued by lingering thoughts of my words on the screen. She seems to pick up on my mood too, as her pale fingers glide along my cheek.
   “What is it?”
   “Oh it's Luca,” I tell her, “I don't know, it's getting to me more than usual...”
   After eyeing me sadly for a moment she smiles. “I know what it is you need,” she says.

“I love you so much,” I tell her, before something in the back of my mind tells me to do it now.
   “I love you too,” she says, but after pecking her cheek I pull away from her, the need now stronger than ever.
   Looking into her eyes, my stomach begins to do cartwheels. Butterflies have nothing on what's going on down there as I remark aloud that I need to do it properly.
   “Do what properly?” she asks with a frown, watching as I rummage in my pockets.
   “Ah, there it is,” I proclaim with a smile.
   “Emily,” I begin as I take her hand, “Will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”
   “Oh my goodness!” she exclaims as, understandably, her jaw drops. Opening the box is enough to reassure her this isn't just a passing question. “Of course I will!”

I've never felt such a rush of relief and happiness as I do right now. I don't know which of us fall harder into the other's arms, but one thing's for sure now – I don't know why, but I already feel more confident about becoming whole again.

No requests please
Bloody_Tears

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 06:01:41 am »

wowee wow wow! this is amazing, it's a really original idea. And it works really well. can't wait till you update!

"I am become Death, destroyer of worlds" Oppenheimer, taken from The Bhagavad Gita.
Sam the T-man
Formerly known as Sadie

On hiatus from Insim

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 07:58:10 am »

Thanks! Cheesy Next chapter's half-written, shouldn't be too long Wink

No requests please
Stonelily237

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:38 pm »

Yay! More! More!

The Lurking Story Critic